Hi everybody,

I'm tried of waiting for the Bold to come out, and my parents aren't too thrilled with helping me buy the "latest and greatest;" fees and all y'know.

So I'm going for a Verizon Curve. I'm going with Verizon because apparently it has a form of 3G, and my girlfriend has Verizon too, so this will be easy on the bills for both of us.

I'm going down south to college on Monday, and I know there's a Best Buy store nearby, so I'll purchase the Curve from there. I do need help though on the details of purchasing one, since I'm lost on these things. By that I mean data plans and whatnot...confuses me just thinking about it!

So if you could recommend/relate anything to me, that would be awesome. Really, thanks for the comments, suggestions, and help, and I'll check back on this thread every hour or so.

Cheers!
    08-16-08 07:11 PM
    oh lord please dont purchase it from best buy. simply cause if you ever were to have any issues with them, cant get them resolved at a vzw store, you're gonna have to go back through best buy.
    08-16-08 07:19 PM
    Oh...wow, thanks for that. Shoot, now I need to find a Verizon store in a place that I am not familiar with.
    08-16-08 07:19 PM
    Def get a data plan!
    08-16-08 07:20 PM
    Oh...wow, thanks for that. Shoot, now I need to find a Verizon store in a place that I am not familiar with.
    Store Locator - Verizon Wireless

put in the zip code if you have it and it'll pull up all the stores within that zip code
    08-16-08 07:23 PM
    ^ Yar, that's great they have that. I'll do that in a few moments...I'm running late on a photo shoot at the moment.

Yeah, I've heard about data plans...aren't there multiple options for them though?
    08-16-08 07:32 PM
    yes, 3 options

just go with the 29.99 email+web for blackberry plan. thats all ya need
    08-16-08 07:36 PM
    ^ Yar, that's great they have that. I'll do that in a few moments...I'm running late on a photo shoot at the moment.
    A photo shoot? Okay, you definitely want an unlimited data plan, otherwise you will be paying all your body parts for the phone bill.
    08-16-08 07:49 PM
    where down south?
    08-16-08 08:29 PM
    Hey guys. Um, by photo shoot I didn't mean anything serious, just taking pictures of my high school's marching band for a college project.

I'm going down to Chapman University, where I'll be majoring in Screenwriting, so I strongly assume that within the next few years I'll be calling and replying to email a lot. But maybe that's just me being optimistic.
    08-16-08 08:39 PM
    Always get the unlimited data plan. It would only take a few mistakes to run up a huge bill. What you spend on that bill would probably buy a couple years worth of unlimited.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-08 08:46 PM
    exalant is right deff. get a unlimeted data plan and just price out about how many minutes your ganna use and since your gf has vzw that means your getting "in" from vzw to save you some money and with that i say welcome to cb and soon to a bb adiction
    08-16-08 08:52 PM
    oh lord please dont purchase it from best buy. simply cause if you ever were to have any issues with them, cant get them resolved at a vzw store, you're gonna have to go back through best buy.
    Completely agree!!!

Best thing to do is go through Verizon, online or call their 800 number... I'll even give you the number (800) 922-0204. I think you get the best deal by ordering online, as they usually give an additional rebate.
    08-16-08 08:56 PM
    Ordering online will get you your best deal. Just got done researching the best deal and it was with Verizon, for us. And I was hoping to try a new provider.

08-16-08 09:47 PM
    Thanks guys, but buying in a store is the best option for me right now because:

1.) I'll get it immediately, which is nice because the first few days in college all I'll be doing is going to meetings and get used to my roommates

2.) I'm not familiar yet with the whole college mailbox thing yet, and it would suck to have this get lost somewhere in transit

By the way, I have Bluetooth enabled on my laptop. I noticed that the Curve is Bluetooth-enabled as well. I know this means that you can use Bluetooth earpieces with the Curve, but can I do anything fancy between my laptop and the Curve?
    08-16-08 10:05 PM
    I got my curve at Best Buy for $50.00.
    08-16-08 10:25 PM
    I agree there support sucks but why would some one take it to Best Buy for any technical help or support?

I have always taken my phones that I purchased at Best Buy and on Ebay to the Verizon store for software updates etc...
    08-16-08 10:48 PM
    Oh I see, I went with vzw service plan but almost went with BBuys. Glad I didn't, thanks for clarifying that. The dude at BB was really trying to get me to get there service for $6.99 a month cause they don't have the $50 deductable.

08-17-08 10:15 AM
    Software updates are fine but if something goes wrong with the phone and you are under manufacture warranty Verizon wants you to go through Best Buy and unless to paid extra for the Service Plan Best Buy can't do anything... Cell phones are really a sticky situation... The best Buy service plan does cover your battery (1 new one) but it doesn't cover water damage, physical abuse or if it's lost/stolen...
    This can't be true. Best Buy is an authorized verizon agent like any other indirect dealer. Any warranty is handled by a Verizon corporate store after the first 30 days. It doesnt matter where you buy it as long as it's an authorized agent. If Best Buy has a better deal go through them. The suggestion to order online was good also since you get the instant rebate.

I work for a premium Verizon dealer and all warranties past 30 days are handled through a corp store. We have very little problems with this. Sometimes the tech's at the VZW stores are idiots and tell the customer they haft to go through us. IF this happens we simply call the VZW store and get the issue resolves. Funny thing is the tech's are actually not VZW employees. They are employed by solectron(sp). SO they are even an "indirect" themselves.
    08-17-08 10:19 AM
    Funny thing is the tech's are actually not VZW employees. They are employed by solectron(sp). SO they are even an "indirect" themselves.
    Hmmm, thats interesting!
    08-17-08 10:46 AM
    So when I sign up for a plan, I should say I want the BIS (what does that stand for again?), not the BES (I know the 'E' stands for Enterprise).

So the BIS is $30 a month, yah?
    08-17-08 05:10 PM
    yes Blackberry Internet service (BIS)
    08-17-08 05:13 PM
    Good God, that was a fast reply.

Thanks!
    08-17-08 05:15 PM
    Anytime - It happens
    08-17-08 05:16 PM
    Um...now my father is trying to persuade me to buy the Curve at one of those kiosks inside Circuit City, because the stand-alone Verizon store is farther yet, and I have to walk under a highway to get to it.

Is this Circuit City thing the same bad deal as Best Buy? Probably is, huh?
    08-17-08 05:25 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD