Hey guys, I was on the enterprise server and I just left my company. My phone out of nowhere "reset" and everything was gone. I wanted to know if corporate IT had the ability to wipe my phone from thier end? If any of you can shed on any light I would greatly appreciate it.
    01-05-09 06:21 PM
    If you were on a BES, yes they can. With enterprise, they control your device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 06:23 PM
    Can someone explain how this is done?
    01-05-09 06:29 PM
    Can someone explain how this is done?
    Not sure exactly what you are asking here but all the admin has to do is open up the BES Manager and click. Then the handheld will wipe itself.

Last edited by Shao128; 01-05-09 at 06:47 PM.
    01-05-09 06:44 PM
    Shao128,
    Thanks.
    Can you shed some light on another part of the screen shot?
    Under TASKS/Account/Find User..............
    What exactly does that let the admin do?
    01-05-09 08:20 PM
    Finds where the user is located on the server, it doesnt have anything to do with GPS or physical location.
    01-05-09 08:23 PM
    OK, thanks Sith.

Thought maybe I could get my I.T. troll to find my drivers.
    01-05-09 08:30 PM
    Sith - but if the GPS is on, you do have the ability to write lat/long locations to the db, right?

01-05-09 08:32 PM
    Its just to search for a particular user instead of going through the list, on our BES we only have 6 users right now, but if there is a long list it saves time. Its nothing to do with GPS tracking if thats what you were wondering about... Thats something else

Edit. Too slow, looks like Sith beat me...
    01-05-09 08:33 PM
    Sith - but if the GPS is on, you do have the ability to write lat/long locations to the db, right?

Yes that is correct, if you have that set. And once the device is wiped you are no longer a part of the server so they cannot track you.
    01-05-09 08:36 PM
    And yes GPS can be turned on and the device forced to report Long/Lat to the BES, the admin can also set the time interval that device must report back at.
    01-05-09 08:38 PM
    Big Brother's kung fu is strong!

I had no idea all of that could be controlled via BES. Good info.
    01-06-09 12:40 AM
    I've heard it said that a dog is man's best friend. But I always thought it was duct tape. Now, I think it's the BES Administrator.

01-06-09 07:29 AM
    Not sure exactly what you are asking here but all the admin has to do is open up the BES Manager and click. Then the handheld will wipe itself.

Yes that is exactly what I was talking about! It's actually my girlfriends phone. She resigned from the company because she was having some HR issues with her boss. She tried talking to different people in diffferent positions and like the corporate world they blew her off! She decided to look for another job and when she left she wrote a letter to the CEO, VP of Operations, Legal DEPT, HR Dept, you name it she copied them on it. She figured if they ignored her before they weren't going to do it now! LOL! The very day after she left the company they did this to her handheld and she didn't even have the chance to back up her phone because it was also a company laptop and we didn't have a clue that they could do that your phone all the way from friggin corporate! Lesson Learned!

But thanks for the verification! Now we are hearing that they've done it to other people who have resigned from the company as well so at least it wasn't just her.
    01-08-09 08:26 AM
    Standard policy with employees leaving. Never know what kind of confidential information can be on the phone. Best to be on the safe side and just wipe it from the BES.

One of many pitfalls of using personal property for work purposes.
    01-08-09 10:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD