I have a BB Curve and was wondering if I use Desktop Manager to backup my BB now - when I get my new BB will I be able to transfer everything to the new one? ring tones, apps, etc?
    06-02-08 12:45 PM
    I believe the Switch Device will do all that for you.
    06-02-08 01:03 PM
    to use the switch devise do you still need to have your old BB? or can you transfer your old now and your new when you get it?
    06-02-08 01:10 PM
    No, as long as you have a backup (made with Desktop Manager) of your old BB, I think that's all it needs to get your old device settings and info.
    06-02-08 01:17 PM
    Does the switch device reinstall 3rd party apps as well?
    06-02-08 02:15 PM
    Hi -

I just switched from old faithful 8100 to my new (I won it) 8120. Using the Switch Device wizard was way easier than I expected it to be. I did need to connect my old BB first, then connect my new BB. I made things slightly more complicated for myself since I used the (already charged) battery from the 8100 as well as just putting my old SIM card into the new BB. It just meant that I had to change the battery and SIM back when I had to connect the old one (since of course, I had already tried playing with the new one

Yes, it transferred all my 3rd party apps as well.

HTH....
    Tamara (a newbie learning by trial and error)
    06-02-08 02:23 PM
    What if the new OS is different? Like going from a Curve to a Bold. Can you still transfer things like contacts, calendar etc.?
    06-02-08 02:36 PM
    If They Are saved on your sim it doesn't matter
    06-02-08 02:42 PM
    On 3rd party apps, remember that the reg code is most likely tied to the device PIN so I think you'd have to get a new code generated. Haven't had to do that yet, so I'm not positive.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-08 03:40 PM
    I just switched from one Berry to another using desktop manager. As far as having to have the old BB connected, you dont need to do that. All you need is a backup of the old BB. Connect the new one and use "Switch Device Wizard."

As Tom said, your 3rd PA's are PIN specific. You will have to contact "support" for each app you've purchased so a new registration can be generated for the new pin.
    06-02-08 03:49 PM
    If a new blackberry say a replacement storm is a lower OS version will device switch update the new BB to the updated OS version in the process or will I need to do that before using device switcher?
    Last edited by mcp770; 04-18-09 at 11:29 PM.
    04-18-09 08:53 PM
    What if the new OS is different? Like going from a Curve to a Bold. Can you still transfer things like contacts, calendar etc.?
    If They Are saved on your sim it doesn't matter
    I was wondering this too, because there's pretty package at home right now with a Bold in it and i'm trying to figure out how i can get all my Contacts from my 8310 onto my bold without manually doing it.

But i also read that sims can only hold one number and not all the emails i have and PIN's and everything else saved under contacts.

Any help is appreciated.
    04-21-09 10:09 AM
    You can be confidant using the Switch Device Wizard, that is exactly what it is intended for.

One caution, it is possible to reverse your connection.

If that happens, the contents of the new, and blank, device will be overwritten to your current device. That can totally wipe out your data.

Use Backup first, just to be sure.
    04-21-09 10:18 AM
    I'm trying to think of the fastest/safest way i can do this so i can use the bold right away.

Wish i was at home so i can see the functions for the Switch Device Wizard. How do the steps go? Does it just load the curve backup onto the Bold?
    04-21-09 10:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD