Hello Everyone
    Thanks in advance for all your help, now and in the past.

Please ignore the "Crackberry newbie" and "model 9000" info associated with my account above.

I am trying to activate a Boostmobile 8330 with my Verizon Account. I am doing this because my current Verizon phone Samsung SCH-i760 is on its last legs, and I was given a Boostmobile BB model 8330.

The Boostmobile BB is CDMA enabled. However, I noticed two things.

1. I downloaded the latest OS and removed the vendor.xml file, then flashed the 8330. The BB still shows the Boostmobile wallpaper, and the original Boostmobile tel.no. - even though evertything (data) was removed from the BB. This makes me believe that this particular BB 8330 is hard-coded for Boostmobile.

2. I went to My Verizon account, logged in, and went to activate this Boostmobile BB. The Verizon activation page will not accept the MEID (hex or dec) from this device. This leads me to believe that Verizon will only accept MEIDs from Verizon branded phones. Is this true?

Please let me know if there is a fix for numbers 1 and 2 above. I am trying to avoid paying for a new contract and having to buy a new phone. I am currently unemployed since 3/2010, and I cant afford the extra expenses.

Also, one more thing - Because of my current financial situation, I had verizon turn off all data usage on my account. So, there is no texting, and no internet access on my account. Even though Verizon requires that any activation of any smartphone activated after January 2010 - must get a data plan - I dont think that would be a problem for me as I have had my data usage turned off at Verizon.

I know that I can simply use a cheap phone. However, I need a smartphone that can syncrhonize with outlook and that has WiFi too. This way I can bypass syncrhonzing over the internet, and simply do it a home.

Please let me have your thoughts. This Forum - Crackberry - has been the most productive for me for many years. Hopefully, I can get an answer soon.

Cheers.

ElGranPagan
    02-24-11 12:35 PM
    I don't think there is a way to. But you can always fine cheap Verizon 8330 on eBay for ~$50.
    02-24-11 04:58 PM
    There is no way to do it legally. Also, the Boost 8330 doesn't have WIFI.
    02-24-11 05:43 PM
    As noted, you will not be able to activate a non-Verizon branded device on Verizon.

Secondly, Verizon requires a data plan for any BlackBerry activated on their network. Having a previous data-block in place will not negate this requirement. And BlackBerry devices have always been required to have a data plan on Verizon.

Thirdly, on a BlackBerry, the start up screen branding is burned into the ROM and is not affected by the device OS. There's no legal way to change the start up screen.

And lastly, on a BlackBerry, email does not sync with Outlook. And as already noted, the 8330 does not have WiFi.
    02-24-11 08:31 PM
    Thanks everyone for your support. This confirmed my suspicions. I know that I can pickup an 8330 for <$50 on ebay (but then there is the cost of shipping!!). I figured that the boostmobile branding was burned into the ROM. Also, I know that the 8330 has no wifi - that sucks too.

I am avoiding having to sign up for a new contract. Currently, I am grandfathered into a plan that expired in July 2009 which is costing me $62/month. I was made an offer by Verizon for 1400 minutes and $9.95 unlimited data plan for 2 new phones (which is what my girlfriend and I have) for a total of $118 per month. Thats a great deal - if you have the money. But I cant consider jumping onto to that until I have a steady stream of income - which, right now, is only unemployment (and in NYS, thats only $405/week).

I will keep looking and trying. If I find something, I will try to activate it. If Verizon hits me with a charge, I will close the account - simple.

Thanks again for all your help. Really appreciate your quick responses.

:-)
    02-26-11 09:34 AM
    Good luck.

Be aware that the $9.95 unlimited data plan doesn't apply for smartphones and BlackBerry devices.
    02-26-11 10:27 AM
    hey is that BBphone from boost ready to use with boost? is there service with the BB any good? i had a reg boost line left to simple mobile trying to connect my BB curve but simple mobile doesnt support the internet it really sucks, and i cant take my phone over to boost wish i can. so im lookin for the most economical way to do it thx
    03-09-11 08:07 AM
    Thanks everyone for your support. This confirmed my suspicions. I know that I can pickup an 8330 for <$50 on ebay (but then there is the cost of shipping!!). I figured that the boostmobile branding was burned into the ROM. Also, I know that the 8330 has no wifi - that sucks too.

I am avoiding having to sign up for a new contract. Currently, I am grandfathered into a plan that expired in July 2009 which is costing me $62/month. I was made an offer by Verizon for 1400 minutes and $9.95 unlimited data plan for 2 new phones (which is what my girlfriend and I have) for a total of $118 per month. Thats a great deal - if you have the money. But I cant consider jumping onto to that until I have a steady stream of income - which, right now, is only unemployment (and in NYS, thats only $405/week).

I will keep looking and trying. If I find something, I will try to activate it. If Verizon hits me with a charge, I will close the account - simple.

Thanks again for all your help. Really appreciate your quick responses.

:-)
    Unless this phone is listed as stolen, I don't see why you wouldn't just activate it on Boost Mobile and use all the features for only $60 a month... Call quality and data is as good with Boost as any other carrier (they are using the Sprint Nationwide 3G CDMA network).
    03-22-11 03:06 PM
    Ok that is a lie it is possible just take it to a place that flashes devices even Verizon can do it also it's also a lie that you state that this particular BlackBerry doesn't have WiFi because I have this device currently and it has WiFi on it I use it everyday it's a boost mobile phone and I have it on Verizon.

There is no way to do it legally. Also, the Boost 8330 doesn't have WIFI.
    07-03-15 03:42 AM
    4 year old thread dude!
    07-03-15 08:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD