Source: Camera Phone Predator Alert Act - Wants To Force Clicking Sound For Cellphone Cameras | BerryReview.com �

by Ronen Halevy

I guess the economy is not enough to keep our law makers busy. A new law has been proposed to force cellphone cameras to make a clicking sound when they take a picture. They think that this law will deter criminals from taking “inappropriate” pictures. This is not really anything new for BlackBerry users since RIM has not offered us the option to turn the camera sound off! Or maybe RIM is trying to cut down on spy shots. Though you would think that these inappropriate pictures could just as easily be taken with a spy camera.

This new Camera Phone Predator Alert Act will make it illegal to let a phone disable or silence the picture taking sound. The law would be part of the Consumer Product Safety Commission purview and will be considered a safety issue. They will require the sound to be audible to people within a reasonable distance from the phone…
    01-28-09 11:25 AM
    Makes sense to me. If I,m getting my picture taken I deserve to know it.
    01-28-09 11:47 AM
    Wonder when they will make a law to stop a phone user from using their video camera without a sound being emitted? How ridiculous if you are anywhere your picture can be taken

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 11:54 AM
    Who takes pictures anymore? Especially with the ability to record video...
    01-28-09 01:51 PM
    I can always tell when people are taking my picture, even if the sound is off. You can tell by the way that they hold it and by the lack of pressing any buttons. Even if they are pretending to press buttons, the phone has to be at a certain angle, and you can usually tell that the lens is directly facing you.

Fortunately, I've yet to have any creepy people out on the streets try to take my picture (or at least not that I've noticed)... only my creepy friends who like to aggravate me.
    01-28-09 01:56 PM
    eh i really think this is a pointless law.
    01-28-09 02:08 PM
    The focus should be elsewhere ATM
    01-28-09 02:10 PM
    Soon the only ones allowed to take pictures without a sound to let you know will be the Government.

Just sayin'....

-m
    01-28-09 02:21 PM
    Soon the only ones allowed to take pictures without a sound to let you know will be the Government.

Just sayin'....

-m
    They already have that. Satellites in space that can take pictures of your bb home screen. They can also access your phone and use your camera to spy on you, same thing with a webcam. Smile for the government everyone!

01-28-09 02:44 PM
    I'm fine with it. Itd be better if I could change it to something of my liking as with alerts.

I can definitely see Sean Connery "I'll take the rapists for $500 Alex!". Lol

01-28-09 03:56 PM
    That's therapist Mr Connery, therapist, not the- forget it.

CLASSIC!

01-28-09 04:02 PM
    Anal bum cover

01-28-09 04:36 PM
    What are they going to do about video, though? Make the camera play 1980s ballads while in use?

Kind of a lame law, but there really isn't much we can do about the sound to begin with.

01-28-09 04:52 PM
    How would you even go about forcing this law? Unless they meant that a software upgrade "locked" or forced a sound to be played. IMO, the timing of this couldn't have looked worse for lawmakers...
    01-28-09 05:08 PM
    I admit random people taking my picture is creepy (I've never had it happen, but it would be creepy), but I don't think this is something that our lawmakers need to worry about. For one, it's nearly unenforceable. For two, don't they have more important things to worry about??

01-28-09 05:16 PM
    For every programmer working for the phone companies that know how to program to make that work there is 1 programmer on crackberry that will know how to take it off. Can see it now.....

Camera Phone Predator Act Passed! By randomuserNeo 1/29/09 at 8:00am

CPPAA bypass patch 1.0
    By downwitgovt55 at 8:01am

When big brother comes be happy you have cb launcher lol

01-28-09 05:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD