I get this..
    " Could not start the camera. Close other applications and try opening the camera again."

I have no other applications that are open. I've deleted just about everything I can think of to free up space but I have plenty of space to start with. I've got a 1GB memory card that has all my pics and music stored on it. I need my camera....does anyone know how to fix this? TIA
    05-07-08 04:43 PM
    shameless bump
    05-07-08 05:06 PM
    Turn the phone off and pull the battery. If its software it should correct its self
    05-07-08 05:18 PM
    Oh, oh.

I sorry to say, that has occured a fair number of times.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/camera-problems-24360/

I'm convinced there is something wrong with the camera.
    Used an older version of dm and reloaded the older curve os and I still get the same crap.
    Now I finally give up. ...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/camera-problems-24360/

8310 Curve User here.
    I found out by accident that by reloading my Desktop Software to the original version (in my case 4.2.2) AND reloading the original Handheld OS (again in my case 4.2.2) seemed to solve my problem with the camera not loading. Both the Desktop and Handheld software are available on BlackBerry.

Error message -> !Could not start the camera. Close other applications and try opening the camera again. [OK]

Maybe there was a bug corrupting the Handheld software when I tried using the updated Desktop software for some reason.

You could try that, but remember to backup your data to PC first.
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-07-08 at 05:37 PM.
    05-07-08 05:27 PM
    ** Update **

Ok, I've reinstalled my OS and DM...camera function is still not restored. I get the same error message. I'm about to throw my BB out the window...
    05-08-08 06:44 PM
    I bringing this topic back up to see if there's anyone out there who picked the right miracle solution to fix their camera...mine still is giving me the same error and I can't afford the time lost to send my phone off to be fixed.
    05-13-08 01:17 AM
    I guess this thread answered my question...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/cur...56/index2.html
    05-13-08 01:24 AM
    Turn the phone off and pull the battery. If its software it should correct its self
    Incorrect.

Just pull the battery. DON'T TURN IT OFF FIRST. Pull the battery with the phone on and then put the battery back in after 10 secs.

Also, check free memory by going into ALT+SHIFT+H and look for File Free. If you don't have enough memory, it won't run apps.
    05-13-08 08:50 AM
    I did pull the battery, multiple times. Someone else instructed me to do that in the past. Then I was told to reinstall my OS, which I did and that didn't work. I have 7363147 Bytes Free as of this point. I forgot when I reinstalled my OS to go in there and delete the pre-loaded pics so I'll do that now. How much free space do I need for things to work right?
    05-13-08 09:09 PM
    I dunno battery pull worked when mine quit working.
    05-13-08 09:20 PM
    I had a user with a similar problem, so I did a Google search as well. Buried deep in a thread I found was a suggested solution.

Take off the back cover, pull the battery, then gently push down on the camera to re-seat the hardware. When I did this to the user's Curve, I felt the camera seating.

Put the battery back in, replaced the cover and retested the camera after the BB rebooted and everything worked.

give it a try
    12-03-08 09:16 AM
    I had a user with a similar problem, so I did a Google search as well. Buried deep in a thread I found was a suggested solution.

Take off the back cover, pull the battery, then gently push down on the camera to re-seat the hardware. When I did this to the user's Curve, I felt the camera seating.

Put the battery back in, replaced the cover and retested the camera after the BB rebooted and everything worked.

give it a try
    THIS POST SAVED MY DAY!!! I dropped my phone on the road when a drink was spilled in my lap in my truck. long story...... battery flew down the road and everything. So I got it all back in and when we got home and went to play in the snow I was gonna use the camera and noticed it didnt work. So played in the snow w/ no pics of the snowman we made Came in and read a few threads about the error. Came across this one and almost gave up till I saw this. and a miracle happened, I heard a small snap and then installed the battery and to my amazement IT WORKED!!!!!!! You dont know how happy it made me! I woulda been on the phone with alltel ordering a new phone!! Cant live w/ a bb and not have a camera!!!
    01-20-09 01:47 PM
    I have 7,363,147 Bytes Free as of this point.
    You should have at least 12,000,000 free for everything to work well.
    I hope you left a number off that amount.
    The other suggestion about re-seating the lens and camera parts has worked for others here. You should possibly hear a small click when they seat if they wern't.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by ronb; 01-20-09 at 02:08 PM.
    01-20-09 02:04 PM

give it a try
    Oh My Goodness, this actually worked for my wifes 8330 Curve. I dont know how but it worked I have 4 BB curves 8330 and we all love them
    03-16-09 03:27 PM
    Hi folks. thanks for providing some scenarios for fixing the camera problem.
    I came to this site with the same camera error message I see here. I've read thru and tried everything I've seen. I've deleted and reloaded the apps thru the manager. I reloaded with the "nuke" option I saw on CB. I pushed on the inside of the case with the battery out. btw-which is the "camera module"? I saw a post about clearing the browser cache, so I did that too. Also I haven't seen a post about the video also not starting. Mine will load and then quickly dump out to the main screen. In both the video and the camera, If i get to the menu fast enough, I can open all of my saved video and pics. i was using the camera one minute and the next its gone.

Am I at the point of actual hardware failure? Where do I get it fixed? Internet site? I saw a post where someone said "what good is a BB without the camera!! ....Now I believe it!! hitting Alt-shft-H says i have 37MB available.
    Thanks.
    04-04-09 04:29 PM
    what about the camcorder only playing 3 sec clips?
    04-05-09 08:12 PM
    Just found this on another site and it worked for me.

My camera had the same problem for months and this just fixed it!!

1)Remove back cover

2)Press gently, but firmly on lense (you should hear a click)

3)Battery Pull

Apparently if dropped at all, the camera can shift!!
    12-26-09 10:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD