Does anyone know if the blackberry curve supports partial number matches between the caller ID its address book?

I have caller ID blocking enabled, I prepend some numbers in my address book with *82 to allow some people to identify my me as the caller.

The issue is when people whose numbers are pre-pended with *82 617 555 1212 in my address book call me, their names do not appear on my caller ID because their calls appear on my phone as 617 555 1212 and are not matching against the *82 617 555 1212 entry in my address book.

With that said, is there a way to support partial number matches between your caller ID and address book? I want to avoid creating multiple phone number entries for the same user just to have someone's name populate in my address book.

Especially when some people have three phone numbers. That would equal to six phone number entries for that one user. Three with *82 for placing outgoing calls and three without *82 to id the incoming call.
    08-02-08 02:15 PM
    To the best of my knowledge, this is not possible. Welcome to CB, though.
    08-02-08 02:17 PM
    I concur with jenaywins. I don't believe partial number matching is possible in caller id. However, there might be an alternative way to accomplish what you want. Phone/Options/General Options/Restrict My Identity (Always/Never/Off). Set to "always," the BlackBerry won't transmit your number. So you would not have to use Caller ID Blocking. If you wanted to call a person and let your identity be known, you could just change the setting for that call.

I don't know what the difference in "Never" and "Off" is. Mine is set to "Off."
    08-02-08 05:31 PM
    Hi all,2 weeks new to the curve and should have done it sooner!!!!!
    Here's my current dilemma, I only have 2 options beside restrict my idenity,always and off. I have it set to off,but my identity is still blocked on outgoing calls. Tmobile support and I are now on a first name basis(bless em) but to no avail. Anyone else having this problem? New to the posting thing if I am in the wrong spot please tell me....Thanks in advance
    08-03-08 09:06 AM
    Welcome to the forums. I have not heard of your problem before. Do you have a password on your BlackBerry? If so, do you have "Content Protection" including the Address Book enabled? Including the Address Book in Content Protection prevents Caller ID look-ups into your Address Book. So you'll only see the number of the calling party, not their name, even if they are in your Address Book. This would not appear to apply to the problem you're describing, but since I can't think of anything else to check, I'll mention it.

For a lot of good general information, be sure to check out the Getting Started Guide and the BlackBerry 101 Lecture Series under the Newbies tab at the top of the page.
    08-03-08 10:55 AM
    I have Content Compression enabled;Content Protection disabled. In addition I have password disabled. Thanks for the reply!! I'll check thru the links you suggest....
    08-03-08 12:33 PM
    Jeff, I was struggling with caller id not picking up the name from my address book. Your explnation makes total sense - i'm going to remove the content protection for address book. Keeping my fingers crossed
    08-14-08 08:33 PM
    edit....re-red post and see thats its been tried
    08-14-08 09:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD