I went to call someone back this morning and to my annoyance my call log and SMSs had all been deleted.

I am running OS 4.2.2.194 and have always had > 25Mb File Free memory. My phone runs very few apps so that this does not happed.

The only thing that I have done differently this weekend is that my phone has not been on charge for two consecutive nights. My weekend phone activity on this phone is low since it is my work phone. The battery level this morning was 65% - I run AutoStandby.

Uptime is 392873 secs (4.55 days) since the last battery pull.

I am annoyed by this and wonder if the cause is not putting the phone on charge overnight as I usually do.

If anyone has any idea as to why this has happened, please let me know.

The funny side of this is that Newbies come here about twice a week and ask us where their call log has gone and we all say, Ahhh, do a battery pull, free up some memory, don't run the latest OS. Well, been there, done that, still lost Call log & SMSs.
    09-01-08 02:02 AM
    I was helping a newbie with the same exact issue today and also had 26 MB free. We could not figure out the issue. Curious to see if anybody has a resolution to this. Its just strange with all the memory free and call logs and sms's deleting.
    09-01-08 02:11 AM
    I was helping a newbie with the same exact issue today and also had 26 MB free. We could not figure out the issue. Curious to see if anybody has a resolution to this. Its just strange with all the memory free and call logs and sms's deleting.
    The ONLY thing that I did differently was not to put the phone on charge for two consecutive nights. Surely not???

It has never done this before either. I am not exactly a Newbie either. I keep an eye on my phone because I need it for my business. I regard it as one of my tools that helps pay the mortgage and as such do not use it for games, IM, etc.
    Last edited by Pete6; 09-01-08 at 02:20 AM.
    09-01-08 02:15 AM
    The ONLY thing that I did differently was not to put the phone on charge for two consecutive nights. Surely not???

It has never done this before either. I am not exactly a Newbie either. I keep an eye on my phone because I need it for my business. I regard it as one of my tools that helps pay the mortgage and as such do not use it for games, IM, etc.

Thats whats got me stumped. Now that I see you having this issue and I know you know what your doing. I just dont think not charging it has anything to do with it.
    09-01-08 02:24 AM
    Thats whats got me stumped. Now that I see you having this issue and I know you know what your doing. I just dont think not charging it has anything to do with it.
    I don't think that charging has anything to do with it either. But this is the first time that I have ever lost Call Log/SMS and it is also the first time that I have not charged overnight twice. It's the only thing I did differently.
    09-01-08 02:31 AM
    It does sound weird. Have you checked all you setting? I know there's one that will only show last number in your log.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-08 02:34 AM
    It does sound weird. Have you checked all you setting? I know there's one that will only show last number in your log.

As far as I can. This is just wierd.

Congratulations of reaching 1000 posts and Master status.
    09-01-08 02:39 AM
    Did you have an OTA update? Network or otherwise? Contact your provider's tech support to confirm. Did you happen to notice if your battery was running lower than usual? Possible bad cell in battery caused a blip in power acting as a battery pull.

09-01-08 04:30 AM
    Did you have an OTA update? Network or otherwise? Contact your provider's tech support to confirm. Did you happen to notice if your battery was running lower than usual? Possible bad cell in battery caused a blip in power acting as a battery pull.

All good suggestion. Thanks.

Did you have an OTA update? No
    Network or otherwise? No
    Contact your provider's tech support to confirm. Yes, they did nothing. I talk to the tech support guys cuz I help them out from time to time.
    Did you happen to notice if your battery was running lower than usual? No but I did leave it off charge Firday & Saturday. Never done that before. This mornig charge was at 65%o
    Possible bad cell in battery caused a blip in power acting as a battery pull. Who knows. I don't think so.
    09-01-08 05:59 AM
    I charge mine every night regardless of battery level. I have never seen this problem. As stated before this is a memory issue, but not with 26 MB available. Is there a available OS update for you device?

At this point I would suggest, if you have not done so already to research the blackerry technical library for some info on this.

Please let us know any updates on this.
    09-01-08 07:18 AM
    I charge mine every night regardless of battery level. I have never seen this problem. As stated before this is a memory issue, but not with 26 MB available. Is there a available OS update for you device?

At this point I would suggest, if you have not done so already to research the blackerry technical library for some info on this.

Please let us know any updates on this.
    If I find anything, I will surely post it here. I started the thread so that when/if I got a resolution, it could be posted here.

There is an OS update but my phone refuses to run any OS 4.5 version. I have tried them all. I am waiting until AT&T bring out a version of 4.5.

My alternate strategy is - buy a Bold.
    09-01-08 07:36 AM
    Hmmm, here's an idea. Could the fact that your call log and SMS's were deleted BE the reason that you have all that free space? I don't know how many messages you had but it's a possibility and certainly the simplest explanation.
    09-01-08 07:53 AM
    What apps were you running overnight? I know you didn't just install a new one, or you'd suspect it, but is it possible that one of your usual apps ran amuck and drained all your memory? I know that's about like suggesting a cosmic ray zapped your memory, and probably impossible to prove one way or the other, if the memory went to 0 and the device rebooted.
    09-01-08 09:05 AM
    I am a loss to understand that could have happened, I will go with Jeff's cosmic ray theory.

Perhaps CERN is testing the LHC and your data got sucked into a black hole.

Were they backed up?
    Last edited by Reed; 09-01-08 at 10:16 AM.
    09-01-08 10:00 AM
    I am a loss to understand that could have happened, I will go with Jeff's cosmic ray theory.

Perhaps CERN is testing the LHC and your data got sucked into a black hole.

Were they backed up?
    I am inclined towards Jeff's and your CERN theory.

I have no idea what was running. It was my son's last night in Europe and I was not paying much attention to my BlackBerry.

No new apps had been installed since the demo of Aerize which has now expired.

Of course they were not backed up I am an IT professional and backups do not apply to me. I did a backup at the end of July when I went on holiday.

In truth, I really only lost a dozen "where r u?", "I am in the supermarket." type messages and 2 phone numbers that I got back from my Addres Book.

I have had other interests today. My son left permanently for Charlotte NC at 7:30AM (check the Off-Topic post that I made) and I have also published CrackPic in the General Discussion forum.

CrackIT is nearly there and then I'll be able to fully and properly remove an IT Policy with one click and a password-to-continue.
    09-01-08 10:43 AM
    Hmmm, here's an idea. Could the fact that your call log and SMS's were deleted BE the reason that you have all that free space? I don't know how many messages you had but it's a possibility and certainly the simplest explanation.
    I like this theory. There is soooo much memory that stuff got lost in all the space. One imagines my messages rolling around like dropped frozen peas on the kitchen floor.

I only had a few SMS messages. They were set to keep for only 30 days - to save memory.

Nothing important or irretrievable was lost. It is just that NOTHING should be lost.
    09-01-08 10:52 AM
    I doubt that has anything to do with it. Its now Monday and I charged up last time on Friday morning and I never lose call logs etc.

09-01-08 11:00 AM
    Btw, thanks for noticing Pete, I'm always on wap honing my "thumb" skills and didn't realize. I welcome new people and stuff, but most of my posts are from helping people. I like that

09-01-08 11:34 AM
    I was thinking perhaps something went wack and filled up memory on a fluke error. On my BB I have viigo and BBsmart alarms always running in the background and soon to add to that myboxtoneinsight beta. I signed up for the beta I am awaiting them to add my BB email so I can activate the app. I didn't want to use it so if I start getting junk mail I will know who to blame.

But anyways I was thinking perhaps all the free memory got used up by a fluke. But then I wouldn't think post fluke that there would be the typical free space. My guess in light of this that perhaps the loss of the logs is a one in a million fluke itself. It doesn't fit any knowledge I have of situations that would cause it.

09-02-08 01:19 AM
    You should try to go enable memorry cleaning.
    On your BB: obtions/security obtions/memory cleaning/enabled
    -Plus you can clear memory using the menu in memorry cleaning-
    This will close all runing apps and clear all apps cache this make free space for your running apps.
    !!!This settingdisable everytime your BB goes out of power... or if you take the battery out...!!!
    I would also stongly suggest that you use a mediacard in your device...
    09-02-08 02:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD