I have done quite a bit of research about the blackberry and am ready to buy one.. Questions BOLDED for quick answers if you dont want to read the whole post

Just a few quick questions, I hope they're clear and informed.

First, I am looking into the 8330 for Verizon Wireless. I dont need the newest blackberry, I will mainly use it for web browsing, texting and email.

My concerns are that threaded messaging is something important to me. I realize the blackberry is "threaded" currently, but will not be fully threaded until the 5.0 Release of the OS. (Palm style threaded, I love it and I'm an old palm user)

Is the 5.0 leak stable enough to run to get that true threaded messaging, or has it actually been released and I cant find it?

Is it better to just spend the extra money and get the 8900 or a newer version? If so, which and do they have the threaded "palm type" messaging I'm seeking?

Thanks for your responses in advance. I'm looking forward to my new phone!
    01-22-10 12:51 AM
    Get a storm 2 or tour 2 which will be out in about 2 weeks u wont regret it .
    01-22-10 12:58 AM
    These are the answers i believe to be true and ppl can feel free to correct me.
    1. The leaks are " possible future official releases" and i dont feel they are any more damaging or unstable than the last official released os as long as you are comfortable with the updating process. Second part to this, i would expect the 8330 to get an official relase of 5.0 before too long...give or take months.

2. The extra money depends on what you are looking for out of a phone. Each have different attributes to make them unique. The 8330 is a great phone and cdma, the 8900 you refer to is gsm, so it depends on which carrier you wanna go with.

feel free to pm me for anymore help, im no genius but i try to help anyone
    01-22-10 01:00 AM
    The only problem is that I am not due for an upgrade for some time.

I am not willing to spend the retail of 500 on a new phone, I am looking for a good used BB.
    01-22-10 01:00 AM
    which carrier are you on currently?
    01-22-10 01:03 AM
    I am currently on verizon.

I am very very picky with cellphones and no threaded messaging is a deal breaker for me, this is why I am so concerned with the 5.0 upgrade being available.
    01-22-10 01:07 AM
    ok, there are different types of threaded messaging. There are sms or bbm(blackberry messenger)...i know when i was running 4.7os on my storm i updated to bbm5.0 and could get threaded bbm messages when my text were normal. I would think you could do that on curve as well. Plus there are updating os options for you as well. If you read the updating 101 section you can learn how to do it fairly easy. running a leaked os is not bad and especially if your going to be on a used phone, no worries about warranty. If you dont like a leaked version you can always go back to the last one you did like...nice thing about backing up.
    01-22-10 01:14 AM
    Thanks for your answers. They have been very helpful.

I am looking for full threaded in MMS/Texting however. I will be playing with the 5.0 updates as soon as I get the new phone.

One last thing, whats the difference between the 8330 and the 8330m?
    01-22-10 01:16 AM
    No problem at all...feel free to contact me anytime with questions, thats what us cb members are for. I dont post alot just read alot hehe.

8330vs8330m...from my knowledge is just the esn vs meid change.

8330 originally through verizon etc had "esn" numbers that you need to check when purchasing a phone to make sure its "clean"...if a phone has been reported lost or stolen it has a bad "esn" and cannot be activated...sometimes that why ppl sell them so cheap..

Well other companies were using esn numbers as well and they ran out of them/combinations etc...so came the new numbering system meid..which is longer and give much more combinations to use...the 8330 is "esn" number that you will need. 8330m is "meid" number...might want to call verizon when you get ready to purchase a curve to make sure the phone is "clean" that way you dont waste your money.
    01-22-10 01:22 AM
    Thanks alot for all the help...

Do you personally have any experience with the 8330? Ive read the internet can be a bit slow loading, is this the phone or verizons network.

I'm hoping it was just those in bad service areas and not the phone over all.. I dont plan to surf the internet, but for things like direction, email, a few forums I'm on I wouldnt want to wait an extended period of time for it to load.. That takes all the convenience of the mobile web away in my opinion.
    01-22-10 01:31 AM
    Like i said, no worries. Funny you mention it cuz i have an 8330 with custom painting etc as a back up/for sale...just got it back and havent used it yet. But yes i have had them before and they are in my opinion as solid/stable device rim has made in long time. yes there are newer and much more expensive ones out there currently but it all depends on what you need it for. The 8330 is a staple for rim/verizon. The email is great of course, the browsing isnt slow or fast its medium based on coverage and the browser it has. I have had no issues and used google maps on it just fine for free instead of paying for vz nav. if you are just wanting a cheap way to hop into the bb world and want a good phone to play with and cant upgrade, there is nothing better you can do than get yourself an 8330. Ask a lot of ppl who have had MULTIPLE phones and its very solid phone. Newer phones have been good/bad...new technology but issues cuz of market demand wanting things faster and faster without time for perfection. Nobody who wants best will ever be satisfied cuz they are outdated when they get them.
    01-22-10 01:37 AM
    Thanks again, you have answered all my questions.

I'm searching craigslist looking for a blackberry right now. I have a few emails out, and am hoping to get one soon!
    01-22-10 01:45 AM
    Would you like pictures of mine? i can guarentee its a clean "esn" and is in mint condition. where are you located? craigslist can be ok just be leary of bad esns...just have to protect yourself
    01-22-10 01:48 AM
    Some pictures would be great. I'm located in NY

Ill PM you my email
    Last edited by dm1027; 01-22-10 at 01:55 AM.
    01-22-10 01:51 AM
    email sent
    01-22-10 01:56 AM
    For price and performance, I'd go with the Curve 2. 256 RAM. 5.0 OS standard. WiFi. Trackpad. Faster processor. More possibility to grow with apps. **Only minus is that the camera is 2 MPXLs and NO FLASH. Come back and let us know what you choose and how you like it.
    01-22-10 03:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD