I just had my phone brioken. It was run over by a golf cart. My sales rep never added the insurance when I bought the phone and I was able to do it later because it was more than 15 days old. Verizon wants to hit me for like $500 for a new Curve 8330 or a 8830. I saw on Ebay that they have unopened Curve from Sprint for $300. Does anyone know if I buy that hone whether or not it would work on Verizon. I am comfortable upgrading OS so if that's necessary I would do it. Thanks.
    10-17-08 08:09 AM
    I just had my phone brioken. It was run over by a golf cart. My sales rep never added the insurance when I bought the phone and I was able to do it later because it was more than 15 days old. Verizon wants to hit me for like $500 for a new Curve 8330 or a 8830. I saw on Ebay that they have unopened Curve from Sprint for $300. Does anyone know if I buy that hone whether or not it would work on Verizon. I am comfortable upgrading OS so if that's necessary I would do it. Thanks.

I believe Sprint "unlocks" their devices, but Verizon doesn't allow it on their network. Therefore, it would be pointless. Until the other network allows another carrier's device, cdma will be useless to attempt to put on the next carrier's service.

You are better off canceling your account and starting a new line. $175-$200 for ETF and then the BB for $100. That is actually $300 right there.
    10-17-08 08:17 AM
    Well thanks for the info but starting a new account is not an option. I have 7 telephone numbers under that account.
    10-17-08 08:27 AM
    Just buy a phone listed for use on verizon. Make sure the imie and esn numbers are clear before you buy. Verizon should be able to activate the phone if its clear.
    Good luck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-08 08:37 AM
    The simple answer to this is NO. Blackberries run on "service books" which are carrier specific. Therefore you cannot use another carriers branded phone on another carriers network.

I have a Verizon 8830 in flawless condition. PM me if interested.
    10-17-08 08:58 AM
    I'm sure you can find one on there for sale for use on the Verizon network......that sucks about your phone though!!
    10-17-08 09:16 AM

Since most of us here all adults, I will try to translate your childish comment. Supposedly our imaginary phones (those of us on a CDMA network) do not have this capability. Other networks (GSM) which have terrible reception (the phones which are not imaginary - hence real) have this ability but sacrifice many benefits of our crappy CDMA network.

We all have different carriers and service. Lets stick to advice / help instead of bashing one's network. If you read, you will see he has Verizon, which is why the simple answer is No.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 10-17-08 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Cleanup
    10-17-08 10:07 AM
    Well said JR..
    10-17-08 10:17 AM
    Well said JR..
    ditto that!!!
    10-17-08 10:19 AM
    Greg, as a VZW employee, I can tell you stores will only activate a VZW blackberry on your account. Sorry, any other carrier's blackberry will not be accepted, GSM or CDMA.
    10-17-08 10:24 AM

first of, uncalled for, second off, if you read it corretly, he was ONLY referring to CDMA devices ON VERIZON!
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 10-17-08 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Cleanup
    10-17-08 10:35 AM
    Skipping over all the other talk about will this work on that network... narrow your ebay search to a Verizon Blackberry Curve New... buy a branded Verizon phone and don't mess with locked or unlocked... check the sellers record and only buy from a seller with a 100% record and selling a lot of phones recently... and be sure to read everything they typed into their description.
    10-17-08 10:47 AM
    Ok this post has gone off on a tangent. Benz and Berry - Thanks for the support. Map - you're right it works only on GSM networks.

Gregg: I am sorry but only a Verizon phone will work on the Verizon network.

(now we can all be friends again)
    10-17-08 10:50 AM
    make sure to ask if the pin has been released from the carrier if it has been sed before
    10-17-08 10:51 AM
    The simple answer to this is NO. Blackberries run on "service books" which are carrier specific. Therefore you cannot use another carriers branded phone on another carriers network.

I have a Verizon 8830 in flawless condition. PM me if interested.
    I have to disagree with you on something here.
    1. You CAN use another carriers phone on another network IF the phone is unlocked and uses a "Sim Card".
    Yes GSM phones use "Service Books" but like I said as long as the phone is unlocked and you are using the correct "Sim Card" they will work on any network.
    I know this for a fact because I have an old TMO phone working on AT&T right now.
    CDMA phones do not use a sim card so they are different to work with in that respect.

But I do agree with everyone on the fact that VZM will NOT accept anybody else's phones (pretty cr*ppy if you ask me)
    10-18-08 09:04 AM
    There is a cheaper solution here. I'm watching Curves sell for around $300 on eBay. If you have a family share plan on your account which does not already have the maximum 5 lines, you can add another line, buy the Curve for $99 and then just have a representative switch the ESN's for you so that the Curve is on your normal number. Then cancel the $29.99 mail and internet feature on the new line. Its another $9.99 per month but in most cases eating that will still cost less than a $300 curve.

Secondly, check the other lines.. one of them might be eligible for an upgrade which will give you the two year pricing as well of $99. You get the phone, activate it on the line it was purchased for, then swap the ESN's with a representative.
    10-18-08 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD