I sold my Sony Ericsson P1i 3G smartphone two days after I touched an 8800 series with the trackball.

There is one application I miss however. It was a business card scanner that was an app attached to the 3.2 mp camera.

You ran the app, lined up the biz card, click and it was in your Contacts. Neat.

Does anyone know if there is such an app for the BB? I have looked and looked but can't find one.

It would be easy for RIM or someone to write this I would suppose cuz it has already been done on another phone.
    04-28-08 09:08 AM
    I have not seen that for the BB.

Check at Handango.com
    04-28-08 09:14 AM
    Its basically the idea of OCR (Optical Character Reader) on a scanner or such.

It would be a cool feature not only for cards, but for other documents you wish to scan.
    04-28-08 09:27 AM
    Wow, that would be a great program, I'm interested to see if there's anything out there for bb.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-08 09:31 AM
    That's exactlty right. It is a cool feature. I am quite prepared to buy it if only it is available.

The nice thing about being a scanner and an OCR roolled into one is that it 'knows' the approximate size of a biz card and can be designed just for that. It handled most common fonts and layouts too. The real neat feature was automatic entry (after confirmation) into the Contats list.

There is a problem today with smartphone software and with the BB in particular. Most carriers define what goes into the phone and most developers for the BB try to hit the business community with server based apps. True this makes them more money and it is easier to sell to corporations than to us lot - Jane and Joe Public - but, it limits what software is available and that is a shame.

I reckon my BB does more than my old Radio Shack TRS-80 computer back in 1980 and I had a zillion bits of software for that thing.
    04-28-08 10:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD