I'm still new on the BB and I have many questions! I'm sorry if these are really too scattered, but I also didn't want to make like 7 different posts :-/ I'd appreciate any help, even if you can just answer a couple of the questions...

1) When I go to the "messages" feature, on the leftmost column, there are icons representing different things; I see that the open envelope is the opened mails... but what is the tilted-open-envelope? also what kind of icon is the little clock thing? it is next to a message that i sent to someone else but i dont think it got sent... (but i clicked resend on that message 2x and it's still the same icon!! im currently connected to internet, or whatever the terminology is - ie. i can use my browser for websites) Solved

2) I know people using gmail have problems receiving a copy of the sent mails in their inboxes - so i followed the directions, created a filter from my email address, but i still keep getting the sent-emails in my inbox. They are marked as "read" and have a checkmark icon to their left... is there a way to set it so I dont have the sent-mails in my inbox?? Solved

3) Is there a way to set a particular ringtone for when i get messages and another ringtone for when i receive phone calls (not contact-specific)?
    Solved

4) I read something about keeping applications "closed" to save battery. Some applications (like BB messenger, browser, call log, etc), although I manually do "close" them from the menu, still appears when I click on "switch applications." Does that mean that they're not closed?! Solved

5) Google sync for mobile - I synced with my gmail calendar and today, I noticed that all of my entries are doubled... when I go under "calendar options," I see two "calendars" - (1) device default, and (2) [email protected]... is there a way to fix this so my entries aren't all doubled?

6) BB Messenger - I can only use with other BB users, correct? Solved

7) If I download the gmail application, I can use the gchat function, correct? In that case, do the instant messages I sent through gchat count as my text/message plan that I purchased from my carrier (I have the 250 texts or messages/month plan)??

Thank you so much!
    Last edited by lleellee; 01-07-09 at 05:21 PM.
    01-07-09 03:46 PM
    3) Is there a way to set a particular ringtone for when i get messages and another ringtone for when i receive phone calls (not contact-specific)?

Profile, scroll to advanced, choose the active profile, then change the tones - phone is for calls, sms is for texts etc

BBM - yes, BB users.

those 5 apps that appear all the time, are default, and will appear all the time. Home, BBM, Phone, Browser and messages.
    01-07-09 03:50 PM
    2) I know people using gmail have problems receiving a copy of the sent mails in their inboxes - so i followed the directions, created a filter from my email address, but i still keep getting the sent-emails in my inbox. They are marked as "read" and have a checkmark icon to their left... is there a way to set it so I dont have the sent-mails in my inbox??

Delete the filter and try again. Sounds as though something isnt right.
    01-07-09 03:51 PM
    Thanks! I have a couple of follow up Qs:

For gmail filter problem, I recreated a filter and tried to send an email to a different email account I have (not connected to BB). However, I still get the message in my "message" box, and not only that, it still has the round clock icon and I am not getting this email...

For the closing-apps problem, if an application is "closed," what does that exactly mean... for instance, would I still get "automatic" syncing if my gmail calendar syncing program is "closed"?

Lastly for the ringer - coming from a simple cell phone, I'm kind of confused :P When I click on the Profiles icon, I get the options Loud, Vibrate, Quiet, Normal, Phone Only, Off, Advanced... So my understanding is... "Vibrate" is set so that by default, every option under it is set to Vibrate; "Off" is set so that by default, the phone gives no notification for calls or messages; etc. And when I go to "Advanced" to change the settings under the active profile (whether that be Vibrate, Off, or whatever), I'm just deviating from the Phone's default setting?

Hm... also, is there a quicker way to change the phone's sound setting than to click on menu, scroll all the way to profiles, and click on an option? (for instance, on a simple cell phone, you just click on the +/- button on the side of the phone and you can change the sound setting to "silent" in a second...)
    01-07-09 04:17 PM
    For your gmail problem - sounds like your emails aren't sending.
    Firstly - any time you have a check mark next to an email (or text message), it means it was sent. Sometimes you may get a checkmark with a capital D, this means it was delivered. A checkmark with a capital R means it was read.
    But regardless - if a message is sent, you will always get a checkmark.
    You'd have to change your display options in the Message folder to get it to stop showing Sent messages (Messages folder - BB menu button - Options - General Options - Hide Sent Messages). Anytime you have a "clock" next to something means its Pending and has not sent yet. Sounds like you are sending emails and they are not going out - chances are there is something wrong w your server/settings.
    Oh and I believe a titled envelope is an SMS (text message). - something you can also split into a seperate folder if you choose (Messages - BB Menu Button - general options - SMS and Email Inbox, set to seperate).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by salilsp; 01-07-09 at 04:53 PM.
    01-07-09 04:50 PM
    if you haven't yet, go to the blackberry site and download the user guide for your phone to your computer - it helped me on issues like yours
    01-07-09 05:00 PM
    Excellent! Thanks for all of your help

I also figured out that I could send emails but not receive, so based on a forum search, I did the service book/battery pull and now it's sending just fine.
    01-07-09 05:29 PM
    Yor can hit "F" for profiles and pick vibrate or loud from there. It's a little easier but not onme button. Or you could set a convience key to profiles.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-09 07:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD