I have acquired a BB Curve 8300 (AT&T). It was turned in for not charging. It appears that the USB port is dead - no data connection, no battery charge, nothing on any computer (or charger for that matter).
    I have some cell phone screwdrivers and opened her up and it's nothing like a broken solder joint.
    So, I was thinking I could use an old BB to charge the batteries in and communicate via Bluetooth. I get a BT adapter for the PC and it connects up just fine.
    BUT it has a stupid IT Policy that won't allow it to be "discoverable" and it will not communicate via Desktop Manager and BT!! Grrrr...
    ---
    Anybody have any ideas? I really wanted to use this guy (swap out my 8700 for this) but without a way to data connect - doh!!

Otherwise it's to eBay with it.

Dan
    03-21-08 11:13 PM
    There is a thread on the Tips, How To, and FAQ with instructions for removing the IT policy.
    03-21-08 11:21 PM
    Try this thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/remo...lackberry-569/
    03-21-08 11:23 PM
    sunkast / Chaz, this won't work because I cannot connect to the device. USB does not work.
    And since the BT won't connect because of the IT Policy I can't remove the policy - sort of a warped / twisted catch 22.
    ---
    If only the USB (on the device) worked. As I said I checked the connector by taking the BB apart. It is still quite firmly soldered to the board. No broken connections that I can see - PLUS - it won't charge. To power the device, I charge batteries in other BBs.

I was hoping that Bluetooth would work - but since the aforementioned IT Policy is in effect there is no way to have Desktop Mgr. talk to the device.
    The real kicker is that via Bluetooth I can see my PC and pair with it - I just can't use Desktop Manager - again because in the IT Policy in effect on my device - it does not allow the BB to be "discoverable" according to the KB article at RIM a necessary step to run Desktop Mgr. over Bluetooth.

So unless there is another way of getting rid of the IT Policy or making the USB work then this is going to eBay for parts...
    03-21-08 11:50 PM
    Thank you CHAZ for the link.
    03-22-08 04:17 AM
    Just buy a charging cradle to charge the battery they have one on the CB store for about $25.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-08 08:27 AM
    That charging cradle is great. That would work just fine. Now, if I could figure out how to get rid of the IT Policy without a USB connection (or Bluetooth)...
    03-22-08 09:44 AM
    If you wipe a handheld, does it get rid of an IT policy? Someone accidently wiped my BB last night, and everything was taken off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-08 10:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD