I bought a brand new Blackberry Curve today from AT&T. The phone keeps rebooting itself..in the middle of texting, scrolling the menu, making a call..anything..it will just randomly shut off, white screen with a spinning hourglass timer, and then the red signal will appear before it boots up. It will either go straight to the window I was on (if I was in the middle of the typing the text, the half-written text will still be there) or just restart completely. The battery is fully charged and I've tried a soft reboot (taking out the battery and the replacing it) and it just won't..work. Whether it shuts itself off or I do (which I can't really), whenever it comes back on it runs a "verifying security software" screen. I don't have a memory card in there right now, my SIM card is old but functional.

If I shut it off then it will turn itself on again. I have to make an effort to get it to shut off with finality.

This is really starting to **** me off and frustrate me to no end. I'm lucky to even have my phone on for a little bit. What do you recommend? :/
    Last edited by aigret; 02-09-09 at 12:30 AM.
    02-09-09 12:25 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry!

Wow that is a really strange problem. Have you tried doing a battery pull? Another thing have you seen if this is a memory problem? Go to Options-Status and check to see if it's above 12xxx but, if this can't be solved via some of this. Maybe try re-loading the OS, if you feel that is too risky then since you said it's brand new try taking it to AT&T and getting a replacement.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/

^ deals with the Re installation of the OS.
    02-09-09 12:30 AM
    I just tried getting to the options-status screen to check but..it rebooted itself and I don't have the patience for this.
    Because it's brand new and I've already checked memory problems..I am almost positive it's above 12xxx
    Oh and I did do a battery pull
    This phone is acting worse that the piece of crap three year old Sony Ericsson I replaced it with.
    Last edited by aigret; 02-09-09 at 12:35 AM.
    02-09-09 12:33 AM
    That is really strange... Seems to me since it's brand new I would take it in and explain to them the problem your having, since your on AT&T I know for sure they always seem to be very good at getting you a replacement. If not wait till later for the guru's to come on and see if they have a remedy. Sorry!
    02-09-09 12:37 AM
    Thanks for replying anyway man.
    I'm hoping it's just because it didn't get a solid initial charge while being shut off..but that doesn't explain the verifying security software screen every time. Hm.
    02-09-09 12:51 AM
    Your welcome, but that shouldn't be the reason, you could just have gotten a faulty Blackberry. But the whole "Verifying Security Software" that you get every time your phone resets is what every Blackberry user sees.
    02-09-09 12:56 AM
    Hmm.
    Well..it's been on a white screen for the past ten minutes with the hourglass. It loaded once and it was a completely themeless, black and white display of ****ed up buttons, and then it shut off again.
    This is too difficult to deal with. I'm just going to shut it off
    02-09-09 01:00 AM
    Mine always does the "Verifying Security Software" when I do a battery pull (that is the ONLY way I ever reset/reboot my phone). Hmm, in all honesty, I think this is a no-brainer. If you just purchased the phone I would go back to the store tomorrow morning and DEMAND a replacement. NOT a refurbished phone, but a gosh-darned brand new phone. Make sure they carry out an un-opened box from the back room. On day one you should NOT have a problem like that. I mean, how the heck can it be a low-memory issue if you just turned it on for the first time, ya know? Even if you did get advice from this forum (like reinstalling the OS might actually do the trick) - there is no reason for you to have to do that on day number 1 right out of the box. Go stand up to da man! ;-)

Good luck and welcome to Crackberrry...
    02-09-09 01:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD