How do I change the BB phone name when recognized by other bluetooth devices?
    06-27-08 12:53 PM
    My Blackberry 8830 is paired with my laptop. It's identified on the laptop as Blackberry 8830, which is the same as the device name that's shown in Bluetooth Options on the blackberry. I changed the device name on the blackberry and attempted to pair it again to the laptop. The laptop scanned, found the 8830, and said it was already paired. So I deleted the 8830 from the laptop pairing, and scanned for new bluetooth devices again. This time the laptop found the blackberry and offered to add it, but still with the name Blackberry 8830, not the new name I'd given the device. I'm forced to conclude that the device name is coded into the device and that you can't change it. I know that's not generally true, because my daughter's non-blackberry phone pairs using a silly name she made up. But it appears to be the case for blackberry.

I googled the site and didn't find any threads related to changing the device name. Of course, there are lots of ways to search, so maybe I missed it. But at this point, I don't see any way to do it.
    06-27-08 04:00 PM
    Thanks for the reply. My problem is my wife and I both have the same model so when we are using bluetooth, it is difficult to differentiate between the two.
    06-27-08 07:08 PM
    Well i think you can, well at least with other phones you can. my brother has the wing and he has a different name for when he connect to bluetooth. i will search for you my friend
    06-27-08 07:31 PM
    I would also like to know this. I know I could with my LG enV

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-08 08:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD