I wasnt sure what the OS is really. It seems to be windows mobile or am I wrong?
    10-19-08 10:45 PM
    are you crazy
    window mobile
    I laugh at windows mobile
    its a much much better system it has its own os
    10-19-08 10:46 PM
    I'm sure those guys up there didn't mean to be rude. No, Blackberry does not run the WinMo OS. It has it's own OS, and most BB owners find it to be far superior to WinMo, hence the reason we are BB owners. Welcome to crackberry, by the way.
    10-19-08 11:06 PM
    Thank you Inger. OP, was that really a serious question? I have to ask since that is always a selling point of BB's, having their own stable and secure OS.
    10-19-08 11:08 PM
    No... no no no. Not at all!!

If BlackBerries ran WinMo, then they would lose half of their advantage over other smartphones! Berries are so great because of the OS and the hardware, IMO. They have quality devices with a quality OS on them...

10-19-08 11:10 PM
    Inger70,
    Thanks for the info. Yes, I did find one ... person ... rude. Quite frankly it's just another cell phone that came free from AT&T for me. My last cell is my trusty Samsung clamshell that doesnt have a camera built in it. I've dropped it more times ... but it still keeps working.

The Blackberry OS resembles WM6 a little bit making me think it was. It isnt exactly blazing fast either like my old dedicated Palmpilots (who is switching to WM for their phones).

Last edited by JeffH; 10-20-08 at 11:07 AM. Reason: deleted personal attacks
    10-19-08 11:20 PM
    i cant believe i even read this garbage!
    10-19-08 11:23 PM
    Inger70,
    Thanks for the info. Yes, I did find one ... person ... rude. Quite frankly it's just another cell phone that came free from AT&T for me. My last cell is my trusty Samsung clamshell that doesnt have a cell phone in it. I've dropped it more times ... but it still keeps working.

The Blackberry OS resembles WM6 a little bit making me think it was. It isnt exactly blazing fast either like my old dedicated Palmpilots (who is switching to WM for their phones).
    I hope your not talking about me being rude I did not mean to offend
    just blackberry and winmo are very different if you handle both

but to retaliate like that does not help your cause much
    Last edited by JeffH; 10-20-08 at 11:08 AM. Reason: deleted inappropriate quoted text
    10-19-08 11:25 PM
    i cant believe i even read this garbage!

agreeeed ..
    10-19-08 11:30 PM
    Heh. It's alright. I was just having a little fun after watching Andy Rooney on 60 minutes tonight and couldnt help but dish out some digs of my own. But I did think there were too many tongue in cheek replies to a pretty innocent question.

Am I crazy for thinking such a thing? I shouldnt use the same words in the same sentence? People make fun of Windows and Microsoft in general but quite frankly, their company is quite admirable and one of the few American companies that still innovate and lead the world for the US.
    10-19-08 11:33 PM
    Too late for so much reading.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-08 01:03 AM
    as innovative as they are, they still can't come out with a good secure and stable OS even for mobiles... BB is the winner </ snob >
    10-20-08 03:06 AM
    Blackberry's are too stable to be windows based :P
    10-20-08 03:35 AM
    Inger70,
    ... snip ... Don't forget the main reason people buy a BB over an iphone is because it syncs flawlessly with MS Exchange ..... snip.
    That's a pretty sweeping generalization. Got some facts to support that? What about all the people who are on a BIS and wouldn't care less about Microsoft Exchange?
    10-20-08 06:44 AM
    Preludxl, not a good way to make friends around here. People buy berries because they are stable and secure. They do sync with MS exchange, as well as lotus domino, as well as yahoo, gmail, msn.......see the point there? Also, not being a WinMo user, I think most WinMo phones flash WinMo on the screen as they start up.

Most people around here are very willing to answer questions (myself included), it gets frustrating when the question is something that seems so obvious to most. Your question would have been FAR less offensive if you had simply asked "hey, noobie here wondering how I know what OS my phone is running?" See the difference?

10-20-08 07:46 AM
    C'mon guys! Can't we all just get along?
    10-20-08 08:32 AM
    Ah man! I just spit coffee all over my screen when I read the thread title.

Seriously, I didn't read all of the replies so there may be others who have said the same thing.

Being a recent WM to BB convert I can comfortably say that the WM OS is no match for the BB OS when it comes to stability. The ONLY advantage to WM phones are the choices in 3rd party applications. Blackberry is catching up fairly fast though.

I have owned a number of WM phones in the past 10 years and I never plan on going back.
    10-20-08 08:38 AM
    Hello,

I've used all the different OS's, Newton, Palm, Treo, Windows Mobile and BB. By far the BB is the most superior to all of them. Windows Mobile wasn't bad, and my last two phones prior to my 8830 WE were good, but accessing e-mail and the internet were a chore that I didn't do very often. Much different here.

I came to the BB show late, but I'm not leaving any time soon.

Best,

Jeff
    10-20-08 08:47 AM
    Maybe the OP was asking if BB ran Windows Mobile because he heard that Firefox was releasing their 'mobile' browser he tried to download it, but the only options were, Windows (PC), Linux, Mac, and Windows Mobile?
    10-20-08 09:03 AM
    Not windows mobile, no. Blackberries don't do nearly as much as WM but hardware is generally better quality and what they do, they do well. WM can do far more than any blackberry but are generally more prone to instability and slow downs. One bad thing with berries is almost all third party apps are very expensive to do the most trivial things. But at the end of the day when all is said and done, you can't beat a berry

10-20-08 09:04 AM
    Effing Blasphemy man! Do you really think we would own a blackberry if it ran WINDOWS? **** its the reason I didn't buy a different phone, the WM phones are so slooooowwwwwwww.....

\keep your damn start menu off my phone!
    10-20-08 12:44 PM
    The OP's question has been answered and I've cleaned up the thread once already. Anything else is just piling on.

Thread closed.
    10-20-08 01:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD