So my veriz curve 8330 came w a program for maps (icon says maps)....I assume this is the infamous bb maps.

Anyway I prefer windows live search (movies...prettier) etc.

Can I delete this map program?
    How much memory will it free up (I'm down to 22mb)

Any reason to use it

Thx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-08 10:32 PM
    BB maps like BB browser is complete garbage. Delete it and use google or live search maps. You cab delete it through desktop manager just un check it.
    05-18-08 10:40 PM
    BB Maps has a couple of significant strengths that are lacking in Google Maps. 1) BB Maps can rotate to show track up. GMM can only show North up. 2) Since you have a Verizon phone, you will have to use an external GPS. BBMaps provides the heartbeat signal that some external GPSes (the Freedom Keychain 2000 for one) need to keep locked. GMM can neither start the GPS nor keep it locked. If you use GMM, you will have to keep BBMaps as well (or some other GPS-locking program).

If you delete BBMaps, you should leave it in your AppLoader list, as you may find you need it back.

I have not used Windows Live, and can't comment on it.
    05-18-08 10:48 PM
    With the GPS BB maps seems more accurate, and I use it just because ATT blocked it on the 8310.
    05-18-08 10:49 PM
    8310 here on ATT and I have had no issues with ATT blocking GMM. You may wish to call them and see whats going on. The only issue I have had with ATT was the blocking of the yahoo messenger until I did the workaround.
    05-19-08 12:03 AM
    BB maps uses gps while google maps uses cell tower triangulation to locate your position. gps is way more accurate in my area.
    05-19-08 04:29 AM
    I've just been given a Blackberry 8310 curve locked on Vodafone, how can I unblock it in order to use my Orange sim?
    05-19-08 05:05 AM
    BB maps uses gps while google maps uses cell tower triangulation to locate your position. gps is way more accurate in my area.
    Hard to find ANY area where triangulation would be very accurate at all. There is no comparison. The triangulation, although neat, is useless IMO. 1700 meters will still get you lost.
    05-19-08 05:07 AM
    I lone BB maps.
    05-19-08 05:27 AM
    Sorry, I mean I love BB maps.
    05-19-08 05:27 AM
    So my veriz curve 8330 came w a program for maps (icon says maps)....I assume this is the infamous bb maps.

Anyway I prefer windows live search (movies...prettier) etc.

Can I delete this map program?
    How much memory will it free up (I'm down to 22mb)

Any reason to use it

Thx

You have an 8330, and your down to 22mb??? IMO, bb maps is alright if you have gps enabled but we on verizon don't.. You can delete BB Maps through Desktop manager (app loader). I've been struggling to get any less than 44mb, memory doesnt seem to be a problem at all with this curve.
    05-19-08 07:08 AM
    i have epocrates (i think is about 9mb)....and windows live mssenger...prob why im down to 29 now (after removing bb maps and bbmessenger (i have unlim txting)
    05-19-08 08:20 AM
    I've just been given a Blackberry 8310 curve locked on Vodafone, how can I unblock it in order to use my Orange sim?
    You just Hijack a tread.
    Please visit Tips, How To & FAQ
    05-19-08 10:30 AM
    You may have the wrong version of Google maps. I think there is one that doesn't use gps. The version I have does use gps, but does revert to triangulation if it can't get a satalite fix.
    05-19-08 10:35 AM
    i have found ithelpful in areas i am at least a little familiar with. and when going long distances, because since im starting from home even though the triangulation is off, i can get my barrings. In someplace that is totoally new to, i would not suggest it!
    Hard to find ANY area where triangulation would be very accurate at all. There is no comparison. The triangulation, although neat, is useless IMO. 1700 meters will still get you lost.
    05-19-08 11:24 AM
    You just Hijack a tread.
    Please visit Tips, How To & FAQ
    Give the guy a break!!! It's his first post. Don't be so rude to the newbies.
    05-19-08 11:36 AM
    I also prefer BBMaps primarily for track up (one less thing to concentrate on while driving) but I also like the interface. But hey, "different strokes..."

05-19-08 07:09 PM
    8310/att here - haven't tried bbmaps at all yet. Have only used googs and live search. I have to believe triangulation rarely, if ever, has come into play for me. The map has always showed my position as spot-on. Wife's 8310 hiccuped on live search until I realized gps wasn't activated in the preferences. Her goog map, too, has performed spot-on. Perhaps the triangulation only comes into play for those curves lacking internal gps.

05-19-08 09:38 PM
    I don't have a working internal GPS, but I have found that GMM switches automatically from triangulation to using the external GPS signal when it's available. I would assume it would use an internal signal the same way. When the external GPS signal is lost, however, GMM does not automatically switch to triangulation. Instead, it keeps the small blue dot, indicative of 3-m accuracy, and simply stops updating the map. If you're not paying attention, this can cause you to think the GPS is miles off, when in reality you've just moved away from your last good position fix. I consider this a bug in the "My Location (Beta)" function.
    05-19-08 09:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD