So i bought this blackberry curve with a new tmobile plan, and so far this thing is the greatest thing since ice skating raptor jesus. My only complaint right now, and it's a fairly significant issue for me, is that this thing hangs and lags like crazy when I have my 1GB SanDisk microSD card in. At first I had it filled up with mp3s, then I deleted about half of them so only about 500MB are being used. Basically it takes a little longer to do everything, and I get an hourglass after coming back from sleep, or after leaving it alone for longer than a minute. It's pretty ridiculous, I'm hoping to figure something out because this thing is too cool, and I really want to make use of the extra space with the SD card.

Also it's been randomly deleting my messages (MMS and SMS alike), not sure if this is a related issue.

I haven't done any firmware upgrades since I got this thing a week ago, not sure if there is a patch or something that addresses this issue. Thanks guys!
    01-12-08 03:23 PM
    Have you installed a lot of applications? Go to Options > Status and see how much memory you have free. You could also try a hard reset. Pull the battery out of the phone with it still on and reinsert the battery.
    01-12-08 04:17 PM
    The amount of stuff on your SD card won't affect your BB speed/operations.

Randomly deleted SMS is an absolute sure sign of device memory issues... read this FAQ link, and follow the tips to make things work better for you.
    Why is my BlackBerry losing its call logs or message logs? - BlackBerryFAQ

good luck.
    01-12-08 04:22 PM
    It says I've got about 9MB free (9138455 to be exact), how much would it need?

And yeah I've taken the battery out several times...gotta do it each time I replace the SD card.

Just to reiterate, it runs great without the SD card. When it's in, I get an hour glass for up to 15 seconds every time it comes back from being idle
    Last edited by outontheporch; 01-12-08 at 04:39 PM.
    01-12-08 04:35 PM
    I am using a 2Gb Verbatim SD micro chip, no delays issues at all since it was installed.

You might experiment with a different chip, perhaps the issue is with the chip.
    01-12-08 05:24 PM
    It says I've got about 9MB free (9138455 to be exact), how much would it need?

And yeah I've taken the battery out several times...gotta do it each time I replace the SD card.

Just to reiterate, it runs great without the SD card. When it's in, I get an hour glass for up to 15 seconds every time it comes back from being idle
    I'd keep about 15-16mb file free... pull the battery and reboot about 1x week.

And instead of continuing to remove the SD card, just go to Options > Media Card and enable mass storage, them move your music and stuff via USB direct to the BB without ever removing the card from BB.
    01-12-08 05:35 PM
    having the same problem with the "hour glassing" and i too have the 1g sandisk SD card.

I have 0 bytes in file free, but i didnt install anything. this is how my phone came
    01-12-08 06:53 PM
    I'd keep about 15-16mb file free... pull the battery and reboot about 1x week.

And instead of continuing to remove the SD card, just go to Options > Media Card and enable mass storage, them move your music and stuff via USB direct to the BB without ever removing the card from BB.
    I have it set to Mass storage mode but it won't let me browse it when I connect it to my computer. I get a message saying that the USB source isn't powerful enough, but it should be good it's hooked up directly to my PC.

But yeah I raised the phone's built in free space to 15MB and it's still actin up. Any ideas? Is there a firmware update I need?
    01-12-08 07:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD