I'm currently with Verizon with a Windows Mobile 5 device (Pantech PN820), that i just locally sync with my outlook. I dont have any need for a data plan, nor really want to spend the extra $50 bucks a month on something i will hardly use. and I want to upgrade to a BlackBerry Curve 8330 (simliar to my 8350i i have at work), but i dont want the data plan. I mainly use SMS and MMS messaging on my phone, and the actual phone and just do a local sync with my PC. So my question is, Can i get a backberry w/o data plan and not have it going out on the 'net using up outrageouly expensive kilobyes and still recieve my SMS and MMS text messages? My current phone sometimes gets a few cents in charges, than some joker sends me some MMS message that has fancy sound or animations and i get stiffed for an arm and a leg (or for no reason at all. Any thoughts?
    02-24-09 01:00 AM
    The usage of MMS will require a data plan. If you're not having a data plan active, there are plenty of non-BB devices which will support your desire to text on a keyboard.

You can use a BB w/o data, but honestly, if you don't use its functionality, there's not a lot of reason to have it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 03:53 AM
    I'm sorry, but if you plan on getting a BB Curve with Verizon, you will be forced into getting the data plan whether you want it or not, as this is their policy with all smartphones. The cheapest BB plan that they offer is $29.99, for unlimited Email and Web.
    02-24-09 06:11 AM
    Yeah. On Verizon, you will be required to get a BlackBerry Data Plan with any BlackBerry activated.
    02-24-09 06:30 AM
    Glad ya'll told me that, I'll includwe that in future posts, thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 06:33 AM
    Actually, you can have a blackberry on Verizon network without the data plan. I work as a technician for verizon wireless. Any data device made before, i believe 9/1/08 does NOT need a data plan, they just force you to get one. So if you really wanted it without it, you can call national customer service, and they will activate it for you, but be warry of 1.99 per MB charge. They can also block National Access on your account, this wont alow the blackberry to access the net. But again, why get one if your not going to use the full function of the device? Hope this helps!
    02-24-09 11:01 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry!
    Thanks lovecore for the info. When I purchased my Curve I was told by my provider that a data plan was required. That was fine with me as I intended on using the data plan. However I was a bit confused since my husband had owned a BB for 4 years and NEVER had a data plan and only used it for phone calls and an alarm clock.

I guess it depends on who you talk to. Thanks again for the information. It will help a lot of us when we are attempting to help others.

~Jazzi~

02-24-09 12:48 PM
    Actually, you can have a blackberry on Verizon network without the data plan. I work as a technician for verizon wireless. Any data device made before, i believe 9/1/08 does NOT need a data plan, they just force you to get one. So if you really wanted it without it, you can call national customer service, and they will activate it for you, but be warry of 1.99 per MB charge. They can also block National Access on your account, this wont alow the blackberry to access the net. But again, why get one if your not going to use the full function of the device? Hope this helps!
    That is only for palm/windows devices. Blackberries have always required a data plan.

But to mirror a few other posters, the point of a blackberry is to use teh data features, so if you dont want the data plan then this may not be the right device for you.
    02-24-09 01:30 PM
    I've heard rumors of VZW dropping their BIS plan to $22/month. Any VZW employees care to confirm or deny this rumor?
    02-24-09 01:34 PM
    No, the Email / Web Plan for $29.99 will be the lowest out there..
    02-26-09 03:37 PM
    Funny how this always seems to comes up every 6 mths or so.
    02-26-09 03:47 PM
    Blackberry without data plan: I have a very good reason. Say I lost/broke my phone and I was able to get an old Blackberry from a family member and don't wish to use data with it. I just don't want to pay for a new phone until I'm eligible to upgrade. How much will regular texting cost me (currently on a basic voice family plan).
    Thanks.
    02-26-09 03:47 PM
    I don't have a data plan and use it just fine. I'm surrounded by wifi a majority of my day. Sure I don't get email pushed to my phone, but I'm always sitting near a computer with my email up.
    02-26-09 04:44 PM
    Everyone with out verizon, you have to remember what who you are addressing your points to.... The OP has Verizon, YOU CAN NOT GET A BLACKBERRY W/ OUT A DATA PLAN. You can post all your views and such, but no matter what features and how useful it is, you haven't addressed anything to their decision. Positives or negatives don't count. To the OP. you get a Blackberry with verizon, you will have a data plan.. no questions asked.
    Last edited by yester18; 02-26-09 at 04:58 PM.
    02-26-09 04:51 PM
    Hmm.. my buddy doesn't have data on his wife's pearl and is on Verizon. He said he called them up after they had it set up and had it removed.
    02-26-09 04:55 PM
    Ha like to see the truth in that. The system will not allow it, and anyone who hacks it can and has been given the door.
    02-26-09 05:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD