Well today I had a huge accident I accently washed my blackberry curve in the washer. It took me about ten minutes before I realized it was in there and lets just say I'm devasted. When I pulled it out LED light was blinking red and key lights were going on and off.

I pulled the battery put the phone + battery in a bowl of rice and put the bowl next to a heater.

I never got the new warrenty offered by bell so it's not covered.

ANY suggestions would be appriciated. Really don't want to pay the 549.00 the phone costs. (I'm with Bell here in Canada).

Here's to hoping it dries out ! = (
    I'm lost without it !!
    11-15-08 02:28 PM
    I am so sorry to here that your berry went for a dip in the washer. It sounds like you have done what you are supposed to by sticking it in some rice. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    11-15-08 02:32 PM
    Thank you!! : ) Rice seems to be what everyone does so hopefully it works!

I have mine crossed to!!

I should probably leave it at least a day? Or would longer be better?
    11-15-08 02:34 PM
    I feel so bad for you, I'd be ruined. Best of luck, ill pray for your BB. Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 02:42 PM
    Try putting the BB & the rice in a zip lock bag to get it out of room air. This way the rice will draw the water out of the BB & not the surrounding air.
    11-15-08 02:47 PM
    I know : (( Thank you for keeping my bb in your thoughts!!!

If you don't have a blackberry you don't understand. Only one of my friends has a blackberry other then me and everyone else is like I don't get it why are you so upset it's just a phone!! But it's not just a phone = (
    11-15-08 02:49 PM
    Try putting the BB & the rice in a zip lock bag to get it out of room air. This way the rice will draw the water out of the BB & not the surrounding air.

kk I'll do that right now!

Thanks!!
    11-15-08 02:50 PM
    I'm sorry to hear about your blackberry! Hopefully the rice works.....I've heard it does.

Is there a spot on the bb that turns pink like in other phones when it gets wet?? I have seen something like that on my battery but it is already pink with X's on it.
    11-15-08 03:04 PM
    Let it dry out for a few days. Put the battery back in and see how it operates. If it isn't going crazy, maybe just powering off try and call customer service. Get them to replace it under manufacturers warrenty. Then use white out and cover the red dot that shows there is water damage. Its unethical but will save you from buying a new crackberry

11-15-08 03:05 PM
    I'm sorry to hear about your blackberry! Hopefully the rice works.....I've heard it does.

Is there a spot on the bb that turns pink like in other phones when it gets wet?? I have seen something like that on my battery but it is already pink with X's on it.
    Yes the water damage sticker on the battery is indeed pink!
    The sticker is on the side of the battery
    11-15-08 03:14 PM
    Let it dry out for a few days. Put the battery back in and see how it operates. If it isn't going crazy, maybe just powering off try and call customer service. Get them to replace it under manufacturers warrenty. Then use white out and cover the red dot that shows there is water damage. Its unethical but will save you from buying a new crackberry

Well right now all I have to do is get it to turn on and make one outgoing call and it will be covered under the full warrenty that includes waterdamage that I put on it today. So lets just hope it will come on long enough to make one call !! : )) It's unethical but this warrenty only came out on Bell a week ago and I was in hospital all week so I didnt get a chance to put it on the phone until it was too late!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Also, just wondering if anyone knows how to get the screen cover off? Theres water floating around on top of the screen like a fish bowl and im thinking if I can get the screen cover off it would be good to get that water out !!
    11-15-08 03:16 PM

I pulled the battery put the phone + battery in a bowl of rice and put the bowl next to a heater.
    wow i have learned something new today never would have thought that idea for wet phones.
    11-15-08 04:28 PM
    This might be an obvious suggestion, but if you do put it in a ziploc bag, keep it away from the heat - otherwise, it's likely to sweat and keep it wet even longer!!!

I dropped a beverage (let's just keep it generic at a "beverage" ok? ;-) ) on my laptop, and it lived to tell about it - so good luck!
    11-15-08 04:33 PM
    This might be an obvious suggestion, but if you do put it in a ziploc bag, keep it away from the heat - otherwise, it's likely to sweat and keep it wet even longer!!!

I dropped a beverage (let's just keep it generic at a "beverage" ok? ;-) ) on my laptop, and it lived to tell about it - so good luck!

haha Okay Im clearly having a dumb day. haha I just went to check on it and sure enough its sweating lol

So I just have it in an open bowl again in a room with constant heat so the sweating wont be a problem.

Thank you for pointing this out ! haha I feel stupid now!

Aww that gives me so much hope (Your laptop story!) : )
    11-15-08 05:30 PM
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Im planning on letting it dry two days and then trying it out. Im going to change the rice tommorow so I have fresh rice for soaking.

I will keep you all updated on what happens but if anyone else has anymore suggestions Im definetly open to that !
    11-15-08 05:32 PM
    I know I can claim my BB under my house insurance... just a suggestion, if you have it, and its covered.
    11-15-08 07:14 PM
    My brother did this i know it works, his went swimming.

drop the whole thing in a bowl of alcohol, then let air dry...and pop in the battery and it will work. But his led is fuzzy looking, but the phone works with no issues.
    11-15-08 07:25 PM
    Good luck!!!!

11-15-08 07:28 PM
    I sorry to hear that! I hope it can be revived!!

11-15-08 07:44 PM
    my friend dropped his in water one time and we took some rubbing alcohol and it dried it evaperated the water and then it was good to go
    11-15-08 07:46 PM
    BTW... it did take my laptop at least two days to dry out. I also washed my headset in the washing machine one day, and it works now too.

Glad my mishaps can give you a laugh or two!

Always love it when the DOH!!! lightbulb goes on... (wrt the sweating of the plastic bag)

Please keep me posted if your phone dries out - whether you PM me, or repost - I'd love to know if it works.

Helps me know what to tell the next person it happens too!

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

p.s. in case it wasn't obvious, my mishap involved a late night and a "festive" beverage. ;-) LOL
    Last edited by thepaintedpony; 11-15-08 at 09:03 PM.
    11-15-08 09:00 PM
    I'm sorry for your berry i hope you get it working that one call so u can use the warranty!
    11-15-08 09:14 PM
    Tough luck on your BB.
    11-15-08 09:39 PM
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Im planning on letting it dry two days and then trying it out. Im going to change the rice tommorow so I have fresh rice for soaking.

I will keep you all updated on what happens but if anyone else has anymore suggestions Im definetly open to that !
    Forget two days. Leave the phone completely covered with rice for 5 days. Do not for any reason put that battery back into the phone until you are sure it's dry.

Remove everything from the phone that you are able, the sim card, media card, back, etc. If have not done so yet, shake that phone hard as you can to remove as much free water as you can. Get a can of compressed air and blow out as much water as possible once you can't shake any more out of it.

Rice is cheap, so bury the phone in the rice (making sure it's covered on all sides).

Good luck with the phone and do NOT be tempted to "test" the phone until 5 days covered in rice is up. If you detect any moisture in the phone do not put the battery in it, change the rice out and wait.

If you don't mind spending a few bucks, go to the hardware store and buy a bucket of dehumidifying crystals, these will work better than the rice, but you will still need to wait the five days. Buy enough to bury the phone in (following the package directions). These can be reused as well.

11-15-08 10:13 PM
    BTW... it did take my laptop at least two days to dry out. I also washed my headset in the washing machine one day, and it works now too.

Glad my mishaps can give you a laugh or two!

Always love it when the DOH!!! lightbulb goes on... (wrt the sweating of the plastic bag)

Please keep me posted if your phone dries out - whether you PM me, or repost - I'd love to know if it works.

Helps me know what to tell the next person it happens too!

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

p.s. in case it wasn't obvious, my mishap involved a late night and a "festive" beverage. ;-) LOL
    hahaha I know right ? What was I thinking!!

I will let you know and all of you know for sure!!!

I just went down and checked on it and the water that was between the screen and the cover is gone just condensation droplets !! So it's working !! lol

Hahaha I figured on the "festive" bevarage. haha Happens to the best of us! !
    Last edited by hlmmurphy; 11-16-08 at 12:51 AM.
    11-16-08 12:43 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD