Can someone explain to me what all the hype is about the curve with CDMA? Why is the CDMA so important to the curve? I guess i'm new at this...I'm thinking about the pearl in April from sprint but should i wait for the CDMA curve and why? any thoughts......thanks
    02-14-08 09:26 AM
    CDMA is the service type that carriers such as SPrint and Verizon use while GSM is the standard that carriers such as AT$T and T-Mo use. Currently there is no CDMA version of the Curve only GSM versions and the two cannot be used interchangeably on the other type of service (kind of like MAC and PC or XM and SIRIUS). Lots of people prefer the 320x240 screen and the full Qwerty keypad as opposed to the Suretype pad and smaller screen of the Pearl. The only thing that is currently available for the CDMA folks that fits the 320x240 and qwerty are the 8700 and the 8800 series, but neither have a camera and the Curve keypad layout spacing is better to a lot of people. Hence the news of it finally arriving for CDMA is a wish come true for many, as the GSM version has been out for about 9 months now. The CDMA people want to feel the love, hence the hype over their version of the Curve finally being released. Make more sense now??
    02-14-08 09:50 AM
    CDMA is the service type that carriers such as SPrint and Verizon use while GSM is the standard that carriers such as AT$T and T-Mo use. Currently there is no CDMA version of the Curve only GSM versions and the two cannot be used interchangeably on the other type of service (kind of like MAC and PC or XM and SIRIUS). Lots of people prefer the 320x240 screen and the full Qwerty keypad as opposed to the Suretype pad and smaller screen of the Pearl. The only thing that is currently available for the CDMA folks that fits the 320x240 and qwerty are the 8700 and the 8800 series, but neither have a camera and the Curve keypad layout spacing is better to a lot of people. Hence the news of it finally arriving for CDMA is a wish come true for many, as the GSM version has been out for about 9 months now. The CDMA people want to feel the love, hence the hype over their version of the Curve finally being released. Make more sense now??

Excellent summary to help people understand the hype.
    02-14-08 10:11 AM
    thank you ......i get it now!
    02-14-08 11:32 AM
    Plus EVDO is much better than edge or wifi. I'm still trying to figure out y people claim edge or wifi is so quick?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-08 07:38 PM
    I never new evdo was that fast but is 3g faster then evdo?
    02-14-08 07:59 PM
    3g is evdo... Or vice versa...
    -db

02-14-08 08:12 PM
    O dang I never knew 3g was evdo lol

02-14-08 08:16 PM
    Trust me, once you've used both EDGE and EVDO, you'll get addicted to EVDO. Makes a noticeable difference and high bandwidth apps like SlingBox a pleasure to watch.
    02-14-08 09:16 PM
    Plus EVDO is much better than edge or wifi. I'm still trying to figure out y people claim edge or wifi is so quick?

It is because people keep propagating the myth just as you are. EVDO is faster than EDGE (that is correct, but you are comparing 2-2.5G capabilities to 3G capabilities) so that is a given, but a correctly configured an optimized WIFI connection will trump 3G anyday. Current EVDO will do at best 14Mbs peak burst transmissions, whereas WIFI (depending on the flavor) can hit bursts of 300Mbs. The problem is that we are comparing between handheld devices that have snail powered processors, running bloated software, and connecting through several proxies, so the wifi they present runs slower, but will still trump EVDO.
    I know there are videos out there posting the contrary, but if you believe them then answer the questions that I and others have posed about this, ie we know what the path on the phone was connecting through, but we need more background on the wifi connection (was it b or g being used, how far away from the router, how was the connection routed, what broadband service were they using, what were their speeds and how many hops did they make before the connection was completed??). The lab doing the tests won't answer or provide this info, so I have to ask how objective was it really?? By IEEE standards' wifi has higher rates and throughputs, so how did this video show the opposite, sounds kind of skewed to me. If they have nothing to hide, why won't they release the data??

Also, for those wondering, the next generation of EDGE, HSDPA is faster and has higher rates than EVDO.

Would you want an EVDO connection on your laptop or a WIFI for raw speed and throughput (not taking into account the added mobility)?? If all places you went to had access to both equally, you would pick the wifi in a heartbeat..
    02-15-08 02:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD