I Just Received My BB Curve 8330 From Verizon Wireless Question?

I received my BlackBerry Curve 8330 from Verizon Wirelesss few days ago along with the $ 29.95 Data Plan.

I purchased the Verizon Black Silicone Case which fits over the BB Curve 8330 Phone and also the Verizon Leather Horizontal Case.

I managed to squueze in the BB Curve 8330 Phone in its Silicone Case into the Horizontal Leather Case.

It is a tight fit but I figured that the extra protection will only help.

Questions.

1. Can I download the new Operating System Software Versions when they come out from the Blackberry site and upgrade them on my BB Curve 8330 Phone at anytime, or are there any System restrictions on my BB 8330 since it is on the Verizon Network?

2. Can I restore using the Verizon Wireless Backup Assistant Software the Contacts to my BB Curve 8330 Phone that I had saved from my old Cell Phone?

If not is there any other way I can restore my old Contacts to the BB Curve 8330 Phone?

3. Can the BB Curve 8330 Cell Phone use VZ Navigator or is there much better Software that I can either download or purchase to accomplish the same thing?

4. I installed a Transcend Micro SDHC 4 GB Class 4 Memory Card in the BB 8330 Phone.

I really wanted to use an 8 GB Micro SDHC Momory Card, but I noticed that there are no available Class 6, 8 GB Micro SDHC Memory Cards available at this time.

Does the Class 4 and Class 6 Speed make that much difference?

Thank You For Any Reponses.

Jonathan[/FONT]
    06-01-08 03:58 PM
    1. Yes you can update the OS when they come out. Search around for the Verizon software update site. It think it's vzw.smithmicro something-or-other (I can't remember the rest, sorry!). There are also plenty of threads about updating the OS with step by step instructions that will be very helpful to you.

2. NO. Backup Assistant will not work with the BlackBerry OS. You can either put them in manually or if you have them in Outlook you can sync them.

3. The 8330 can use VZ Navigator although I'm not sure you'll want to use it until the BlackBerry compatible version 4 comes out (sometime in June IIRC). As for other software, I know a lot of people (including myself) use free GPS software such as Google Maps Mobile or other programs like that with an external GPS. Verizon has locked down the internal GPS of the BlackBerry to only be used with VZ Nav. I figure ~$70 for the external GPS and free software will save me money in the longrun instead of paying Verizon $10/month for something that I already paid for and should be free. There are also other threads about this topic if you want to read more in-depth discussions. Check the GPS forum.

4. The classes refer to the minimum speed (Class 2 = 2MB/sec, 4 = 4MB/sec, 6 = 6MB/sec). I have a SanDisk 8GB micro SDHC class 4 card and it works perfectly even with music and movies. It doesn't really make a big difference in the long run and you'll be fine with a class 4 card.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

Semper Fi,

~Marine39
    06-01-08 05:21 PM
    I've had my Curve for almost two weeks. I'm lovin' it. Before that I had a Pearl. I was able to download the new OS on my Pearl. I assume when a new version comes out for the 8330 you'll be able to download it. I got my update from the Verizion website. Use the Desktop Manager, it is on the disc that came with your BB to restore/backup. Ask your local Verizon store to copy your contacts and yes VZ Navigator does work on your Curve. But there is a charge for that.
    06-01-08 05:21 PM
    i just put an 8g micro sdhc card in my verizon 8330 and it is recognizing it and giving me all 8g (well 7.6 really)
    06-01-08 05:45 PM
    Ask Verizon to do a phonebook transfer. They have a device that can copy and paste your address book from your old phone to your new. I know, I work for them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-08 06:05 PM
    I got my new curve yesterday. Rather than have Verizon do a phone book transfer, I simply:

1) In Windows Vista (XP would work too) set up a new user account. Set it up as an administrator.

2) Make sure the Desktop Manager and Device Manager is available in the new user account.

3) Open Outlook, and see if your Contacts and such are there and up do date. If you need to, synchronize your old Blackberry to update your Contacts.

4) Close the Desktop and Device Manager software.

5) Install the updated versions of the Managers that came with your new phone.

6) Synchronize your new device.

Pretty easy and fast.
    06-01-08 11:04 PM
    I got my new curve yesterday. Rather than have Verizon do a phone book transfer, I simply:

1) In Windows Vista (XP would work too) set up a new user account. Set it up as an administrator.

2) Make sure the Desktop Manager and Device Manager is available in the new user account.

3) Open Outlook, and see if your Contacts and such are there and up do date. If you need to, synchronize your old Blackberry to update your Contacts.

4) Close the Desktop and Device Manager software.

5) Install the updated versions of the Managers that came with your new phone.

6) Synchronize your new device.

Pretty easy and fast.
    I think since he used Backup Assistant, his last phone was not a BlackBerry...

Semper Fi,

~Marine39
    06-01-08 11:37 PM
    Ask Verizon to do a phonebook transfer. They have a device that can copy and paste your address book from your old phone to your new. I know, I work for them.
    When I first got my Curve in the mail I imported my Yahoo! contacts onto it with RIM DTM. Then I took it to Verizon to import my old LG phone numbers into it. Two things happened: first it installed a new icon (Cellbrite PhoneBook Clietnt) and it wiped all my Yahoo! contacts. So I took it home and tried to add my Yahoo! contacts again and now it won't sync. I'm guessing Cellbrite is preventing it.

Should I remove Cellbrite? Will that cause me to loose all my old cell numbers?
    06-03-08 06:22 AM
    Cellbrite is just the name of the company that makes the machine that transfers the contacts, and it puts its on software on the device in order to do the transfer. The installation of that software should not have anything to do with blocking Yahoo! from transferring your contacts, but you might as well erase the program because you dont need to use it anymore.

You should be careful when syncing with Yahoo! because if it does work this time there is a good chance it will overwrite the contacts you had the VZW store transfer with the Cellbrite machine.
    06-03-08 06:51 AM
    Thanks shooptek!

Does anyone know if there is there any safe way to import my Yahoo!(without loosing the current phonebook)or do I have to add my email addresses by hand?!?

06-03-08 10:47 AM
    Also, when I go in to delete cell brite it won't load into my list of applications. How do I get rid of it?

06-04-08 01:10 PM
    You have to remove it from your Desktop Manager on your PC.
    06-11-08 06:03 PM
    I actually figured it out. while in cellbrite you need to click the track ball and uninstall pops up as an option. Then next time you power down(or battery pull, can't remember) Cellbrite will be gone.
    06-11-08 08:20 PM
    I havent looked, but If backup Assistant allows you to export the contacts to a spreadsheet you can get them into outlook and then sync them over that way
    06-11-08 09:57 PM
    You can use a bluetooth enabled laptop and a program called BitPim (freeware) to download contacts, pictures, ect from some Verizon phones. Open a spreadsheet and Outlook and arrange the items by mapping the columns, then synchronize the Curve with either the USB cable or bluetooth. The bluetooth connections are tricky on both phones, so it will take a little work. It's useful to do if you have several Curves to deploy.
    06-12-08 07:49 PM
    I have a blackberry curve 8330 is there a way I can download movies from the computer onto the blackberry?
    06-14-08 07:36 PM
    can't get the master mute button to stay on instead using the turn off button
    12-07-09 02:00 AM
    05-04-10 04:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD