I've had the above phone for about two months now. Just this past week the phone has been turning off without reason. It turns off to the point that I can't turn it on with the power button. I have to take out the battery and when it restarts, my home screen comes up. The battery life is good (according to the indicator), the phone has not gotten wet, has the most up to date OS, has not been dropped, had a media card installed two weeks after purchase, has not had any new apps installed within the past month and has been great up until this past week.

Thanks for your help.
    02-18-09 05:35 AM
    try purchasing a new battery, whether it's cheap or expensive, this should take care of your problem. EBay, amazon or cb has a lot of batterys to choose from at great prices.

I had similar problem and a new battery fixed it. It's better than replacing the phone or sending it in for repairs.
    02-18-09 08:35 AM
    Thanks. According to ATT, they say I should try the following:
    1. Turn the phone of all the way down daily
    2. Perform a master reset, after I back up the phone.
    3. Return to ATT if this doesn't work.

Seems there should be an easier fix. So the new battery really helped?
    02-18-09 07:03 PM
    i got my 8310 last week and this happened to me as well about 2 days ago. i had to pull the battery out and its worked fine since then. very wierd
    02-18-09 07:22 PM
    I too noticed very recently that my ATT Curve 8310 will be almost fully charged and then just turn off. It won't let me start it without plugging into my charger, if only for enough time to boot up. Then it indicates the same charge level it had prior to turning off. To complicate things, it only does it at the most critical times of course.

Today, phone was fully charged. Got in the car, drove no more than a 5 minute call (not hands-free this time). I noticed that my reception on the call started to wain, then the phone went dead about two minutes later.

Checked all programs for drainage, but I cannot find anything. Will try a battery pull next time to see if it rebounds without plugging it in. Other than that, new battery?
    02-18-09 09:47 PM
    just sounds like software issue. i believe your running 4.3. just do a os upgrade to 4.5. my 8310 did the exact same thing. upgraded my os and i've had no problems at all since the upgrade! hope this helped.
    02-18-09 10:14 PM
    Check-out this post as well: "My Curve Powers Off Without Warning" It seems this is a common problem with this phone. Keep the thread going. Thanks for your input.
    02-19-09 07:36 AM
    Since my problem is happening less than 30 days prior to end of warranty, I contacted ATT support. They said you folks were all correct in your evaluation steps of the problem and they decided the issue was the device. They want to send me a refurbished unit. After being super protective of my current 8310, not feeling as though the refurb will be in as good condition, but my upgrade date is fast approaching and my company pays my bill, so not many options here.
    02-20-09 05:36 PM
    As if having the screen on my phone turn black was not bad enough. Now I've gotten two white screens that say "APP Error" on it and to reboot. I emailed ATT again and they finally admit it's a defective phone. I want to get another one but not a refurb. Any suggestions.
    02-20-09 07:51 PM
    How old is your phone bb.freddy? Also how old was the phone when you first reported the issue to AT&T?
    02-20-09 07:55 PM
    My phone is only 1.5 months old. I reported it at the 1.5 month mark. I just received another "APP error" message yesterday. When I told ATT about it, they said the phone is defectiv and should call the warranty dept. What do you think Tremortality? I was thinking about trading the phone for a BB Bold, hoping that it's a better phone. Thoughts?
    02-22-09 10:46 AM
    I performed a master reset on Sunday and it's been a day and a half now without my phone shutting off or seeing the "white screen of death" (APP error). Will keep you posted.
    02-24-09 04:17 AM
    Hey Freddy. Did not see this thread, thought it was resolved, oops.

So things are looking better after the master reset, eh? Okay well keep us posted. Out of curiousity what is the file free memory (options>status) we can check into that or go over the apps you have installed etc if it continues... Hopefully it stays working well. Let me know
    02-24-09 04:49 AM
    as i posted in another thread my sisters 8320 curve is doing the same thing, except it only shuts down while in a call or while attempting to make a call. it started doing this on the old software 4.5.0.52, i tried updating the software to .124 thinking it should solve the problem but it hasnt. ive been doing a little reading and i keep seeing people saying to replace the battery, do you think this may solve the problem?
    02-24-09 08:28 PM
    Received my refurbished phone and within the first day it shut off on it's own. Upgraded to software v4.5.0.110 and the phone has shut off on it's own. So, two phones and two software versions later, I'll try the battery as a last ditch effort. Seems to be happening more frequently so maybe the battery is the key.
    02-27-09 07:48 AM
    Thanks for keeping the thread alive. My phone has not turned off anymore after I performed a master reset and downloaded the latest update. I also started to turn off my phone every day for about 8 hours.

Yesterday I had another first with the phone. My radio or reception signal turned off on its own at 5p. The upper right hand of the screen showed the antena and an off by it. I tried to find a way to fix it and could not. All of a sudden around 10p I get a message on my screen asking me if I wanted to re-establish the connection. I clicked "yes" and...voila!... The phone has been working fine after that. I was thinking about taking my phone to a priest so I can have an exercised. Think that will work?

My file free status is 9419844 bytes. Is that good?
    02-28-09 10:45 AM
    Oh no, that's not good. As a practice, the BB needs 12MB to operate properly. Time to do some memory housekeeping.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 02-28-09 at 12:21 PM.
    02-28-09 12:17 PM
    Freddy, I read through your posts and I have some questions.

I noticed you said you hadn't loaded any apps recently. What apps have you downloaded? Do you have any of the social network apps, facebook, perhaps?

Are you using escape or end for closing applications rather than closing them from the menu.

What are your charging habits; frequency, and levels you start charging from?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-09 12:28 PM
    12MB huh? No wonder the darn phone runs like it has an elephant on its back!

Here are the answers to your questions:

What apps have you downloaded? Viigo, Google Maps, Google Mobile Apps, ATT Navigator

Do you have any of the social network apps, facebook, perhaps? No

Are you using escape or end for closing applications rather than closing them from the menu. I actually do use escape or end when closing applications.

What are your charging habits?
    frequency Once when I come home from work, and
    levels you start charging from?Usually 3/4 charge

Good questions. Thanks for asking.
    02-28-09 02:19 PM
    Hello....anyone there?
    02-28-09 09:34 PM
    Looks like 'rswiger' was right in an earlier post. I placed a brand new fully charged battery into my phone and all of my problems went away. The original battery was close to one year old.

Thanks for all the input. I learned a bunch from you folks and gave me a good reality check. Think I'm sitting pretty with a new battery, upgrade to v4.5, and 22MB free file (none of which I would have checked).
    03-05-09 11:14 PM
    12MB huh? No wonder the darn phone runs like it has an elephant on its back!

Here are the answers to your questions:

What apps have you downloaded? Viigo, Google Maps, Google Mobile Apps, ATT Navigator

Do you have any of the social network apps, facebook, perhaps? No

Are you using escape or end for closing applications rather than closing them from the menu. I actually do use escape or end when closing applications.

What are your charging habits?
    frequency Once when I come home from work, and
    levels you start charging from?Usually 3/4 charge

Good questions. Thanks for asking.

I had this same problem, consiquently when I upgraded to v4.5, it only did it when I was unplugged form the computer and my microSD wasn't in. I was pulling my hair out. Come to find out there was a corrupt file on my memory card that I found only after wiping it, reformatting it, and add things on one group ata a time( ie, pic, videos, music...) it was a corrupt pic that the phone had taken. I took that off the moemory card and things worked fine.

Also, try cleaning out the cache in your browser Menu>Cache operations> clear it all. Also try holding "ALT" and typing "LGLG" Menu>clear Log this will help free up to about 2-3Mb of running room for your OS.

Best of luck.
    03-06-09 01:30 AM
    Thanks for your comments! I tried them both and it did free up some precious bytes.
    03-10-09 05:43 PM
    Tremortality-I have 17.4mb currently. Yes-The master reset has helped...I think.
    03-12-09 05:06 PM
    i have the same issue, but occasionally i'll get the "no battery" indicator, like if you take the battery out of the phone and plug it in and try to charge it. if i pull the battery, or hold the power button, sometimes i'll get the battery indicator and sometimes i get the white powering on screen. it will cycle back and then either work or not, just gotta keep waiting. i think its hardware for mine. it is a backup phone, but i'd like to know if there is anything i can do hardware wise to resolve this so if i need to use it i can? maybe take the phone apart and tweak something or replace something? i'm pretty good with the software on the phone but hardware is totally foreign to me.
    03-24-09 05:42 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD