I got my Curve just last week and I have a quick little question. I'm just wondering if my batter is running normal. I keep my Berry on all day and it's obviously checking email throughout the day. I do some light browsing on the net throughout the day (collectively maybe an hour's worth of time). I use the phone quite a bit (maybe 2 hours of talk time per day).

I am finding that my battery is pretty much low/dead by the end of the day when I'm heading to bed. I seem to need to recharge it all night again and the same thing happens the next day.

Is this the normal battery life for the Curve? Thanks, guys!
    06-14-07 12:58 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.com

Something is not right here! I say get it replaced, or try a battery pull (pull the battery out while it's on). Use it for another few days, and see what gives...
    06-14-07 01:50 PM
    I'm pretty much experiencing the same thing as Kryptocanuck on my Curve.

I'm using the phone about the same as I did my 8700, but my 8700 could go at least two days without a charge. I typically plugged it in every night, but if I ever forgot to I could at least still make it through the next day.

With the Curve, I'm pretty sure if I missed plugging it in at night I wouldn't be able to make it through the next day. The Curve battery seems to fade much quicker.

Recharge time though is fast - I don't think it takes much more than an hour or two plugged in to return to full charge.
    06-14-07 02:29 PM
    I've been doing fairly heavy internet usage, BT almost all day, messaging, playing ringtones during configuration, etc... and I have yet to kill more than 50% of the battery in a single day. This is my 4th day with the device, for what it's worth. I'd get it replaced if Navilyn's suggestion doesn't work.
    06-14-07 02:33 PM
    An idea: I wonder if it makes a difference how it's charged! Are some people charging via a pc or from a wall socket?
    06-14-07 02:50 PM
    No problems here with my BB Curve battery; lasts much longer than my older Treo 650. I do, however, recharge it every night, just b/c I'm used to plugging it in at the end of the day (and yes, it does recharge very quickly which is nice).
    06-14-07 03:45 PM
    I charge from a wall socket.

I guess the big thing comes down to whether a phone is a "charge every nite phone" or "multi-day" device.

I haven't totally run out of juice on the Curve yet by days end...but I do charge it every night, as at the end of the day it's approaching that halfway mark or slightly less (so in my head I'm thinking if it's unplugged all night, and I use it during the next, I'll be out of juice by the folowing afternoon = not good). So to me it's a plug in once a day device - just to be safe.

My 8700 on the other hand I didn't worry about daily. I typically did charge it every night, but if I forgot to plug it in I wasn't worried in the morning that I wouldn't last the day.

I think the big thing on my Curve is the # of apps I have running that make use of the net. Google Talk and Skype are running all day, plus I'm now using SimulScribe's visual voicemail which I think uses the net throughout the day as well.

Want to be richer than Gates or Buffet or the Google Guys? Invent a battery that lasts forever....
    06-14-07 04:50 PM
    I know this may be a hard thing to do, but when you are not using your 8300, press and hold mute key on top... This will put the device in standby mode... You will still recieve calls, and hear the messages come in... And at the same time be saving some juice for App use, web browsing, etc.. I have been trying to this over the last two days and have noticed a big difference in battery life...
    06-14-07 08:13 PM
    Not a bad idea. I wonder, if you have the Curve in a case / holster that supports 'standby' mode, that would help too, no? Then again, cases are just being filtered through for the Curve...
    06-14-07 08:27 PM
    Nav,

I use a swivel holster, and i have yet to figure out a way to, when put in case, have it go into standby.. The best i can do is lock the device when in case... I know this was a feature on most older models with the standby, just havent been able to figure out if it exists on curve...
    06-14-07 08:56 PM
    If your swivel holster does NOT have a magnet, it will not work, i.e put the BlackBerry into 'standy mode'! I hope Seidioonlinemake one like this for the Curve...
    06-14-07 09:04 PM
    DUH... Realized that after i wrote it...
    06-14-07 09:34 PM
    It failed my Two Day test. Unplugged my Curve from the charger Friday morning at 7am....used it all day, never charged it at night, and it died on me today (Saturday) at 3:45pm.

So it lastest me a day and a half under my "normal" use.

I'll definitely give standby mode a try..but that's annoying! A hard holster that automatically does it is on my shopping list for sure!
    06-16-07 08:41 PM
    Kevin, do you have Bluetooth enabled all day as well? That'll kill a battery quick. I guess "normal" usage differes widely for different people. I recently added Jive Talk, so I am IMing more. We'll see how I do.

I hadn't heard of Standby mode before, but I'm trying it out now!
    06-18-07 09:26 AM
    I have a 8800, and NEVER turn Bluetooth off. And, I get almost three days of use, and am constantly on it - email, internet, crackberry.com, Pin Messenger, and of course talking on it.

I personally don't believe ANY mobile device these days should give less than two solid days of use; battery wise that is...
    06-18-07 09:33 AM
    I have a 8800, and NEVER turn Bluetooth off. And, I get almost three days of use, and am constantly on it - email, internet, crackberry.com, Pin Messenger, and of course talking on it.

I personally don't believe ANY mobile device these days should give less than two solid days of use; battery wise that is...
    I concur. I think I might need to turn off my power optimized functions for different apps and do a stress test.
    06-18-07 10:16 AM
    I can't believe how much juice I got out of my Curve over the weekend. Blew my mind. It's my first BB so I couldn't put the thing down. I did tons of emailing, browsing, and media. I still had two bars when all was said. Crazy.

Btw, the holster option is so great. I was very amused that the Curve could tell when it was in a holster or not. Excellent!!
    06-18-07 10:18 AM
    Yes, the magnet does the trick...
    06-18-07 11:10 AM
    Seems like everyone is experiencing different symptoms.

Me personally, I find the battery life to be very bad. It barely lasts a day. It would be interesting to see what models of batteries everyone has in their 8300. Anyone know how to crack open the battery?
    06-18-07 11:20 AM
    Seems to me like my Curve lasts only a day. I just swapped it for a new Curve, new battery and all. Looks to me like avg lifespan is 1 day for me, and I normally need to recharge it at night for the next day. Hmm... the battery I use is from AT and T. Not sure of the model nbr, I can check if it doesn't damage my battery.

I also noticed 1 day usage with my previous blackberry too.

It isn't that bad considering my previous device was a tmo sidekick 2, which has a 1 day lifespan for me so I am used to recharging every night.

Hmm, a holster that makes your BB go in standby? I wonder if there's such a thing for a pocket case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-07 10:39 AM
    I'm approaching the 1.5-day mark with Bluetooth on, Jive Talk almost all day, internet usage, and a few pics snapped. Battery is at 30%, and at work I still get 5 bars EDGE.
    06-20-07 11:19 AM
    I'm going on 3 full days with no recharge and still have 2 bars on the battery. I've made about 5 calls a day, used my mp3 player for about 1 hour a day, sent and recieved about 20 text and emails a day and not to mention spent tons of time just typing into the memo pad. This is amazing!
    06-20-07 03:40 PM
    NYCrooner, that sounds amazing. Curious if you used standby mode too?

I have noticed my battery life is a bit higher later during the day with standby mode usage. If I don't use it, it lasts a day tops.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-07 08:13 AM
    I think i'm experiencing similar issues as others have mentioned about battery issues.

My 8800 is only a week old and i barely get a days use out of it. I'm not heavy on applications.. actually other than the basic setup I don't have anything else installed at the moment.

I'm hardly on the phone as well, and I only use bluetooth in the car to connect to my hands free kit.

I've contacted the guy i bought this from and will get a replacement battery to see if that makes it any better. If not I'll opt for a replacement. If anyone knows of any other solutions, i'll be glad to hear from you.

Oh.. and this is my first post here.. i'm new to the world of Blackberry
    06-25-07 10:16 AM
    Does the RIM OEM Leatherholster with belt clip (also sold by eSHOPlimited.com) have a magnet in it, so that the curve goes into standby when you put it in its holster? Anyone know by any chance?

Thanks!
    Barthold
    06-26-07 12:53 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD