I have a new lens for my curve,

I was just looking at different ways to replace it. One youtube vid, the guy doesnt take apart the housing, he keeps it all together and puts a lil tool at the top of the screen and prys it off, replaces it and voila..

Another vid I saw, he took off the face plate, and popped it out, replaced it then put the face plate back on.

Im comfortable with taking the housing off, Ive done it a bunch of times, but I was wondering in your experience perhaps, whats the easiest way to replace the lens..

I have the lens, and what looks to be a double sided adhesive dealio, (from cnn.cn)

Thanks
    Last edited by rachel0179; 10-27-08 at 09:27 AM.
    10-27-08 09:05 AM
    I have been looking around with not much luck Rachel. It looks like it snaps right in...
    10-27-08 11:54 AM
    I've replaced the lens 3 times now on my Curve. I've always taken the phone apart to replace it. I thought about trying to pry the lens out without taking it apart, but I was afraid I would damage the faceplate around it.

Taking it apart isn't very difficult, so I'm not too worried about it. The hardest part of the whole job is dealing with that stupid glue/tape that holds the lens in. Also, grab a can of compressed air and a lint free cloth to help with the dust issue. There's nothing more nerve wracking than having dust under your lens...
    10-27-08 11:55 AM
    I have the lens, and what looks to be a double sided adhesive dealio, (from cnn.cn)
    Thanks
    Taking it apart isn't very difficult, so I'm not too worried about it. The hardest part of the whole job is dealing with that stupid glue/tape that holds the lens in. Also, grab a can of compressed air and a lint free cloth to help with the dust issue. There's nothing more nerve wracking than having dust under your lens...
    I'm pretty that glue/tape dealio is like weather stripping around a window or door, it helps to keep the dust/dirt from getting into the phone around the lens area. Took apart some of my older cell phones and most of them had it around the side of the lens or on the edges of the face of the lens between the lens and the LCD screen (the edges you can't see due the framing of the case).

Rynamite good tip on cleaning the lens and using the compressed air before putting it back together. Because you always seem to notice the dust or finger prints, on the BACK side of the lens ... AFTER that last screw is seated and the back is put back on the phone.
    10-27-08 01:14 PM
    Yeh, Im familar with all the cleaning etc etc, Im not a rookie when it comes to taking apart the housing, just wanted the best opinion for the lens.. it seems the easiest way according to the vids is just prying it off, however, knowing me, Ill probably scrape the lcd LOL..

I may just take the face plate off and do it the longwinded way as to not damage any parts inside as this would be easy to do prying off the lens with it all together..
    10-27-08 02:10 PM
    i left mine in the hot az sun for like 10 minutes and it peeled right off!
    10-27-08 02:18 PM
    LOL but its cold and grey out here in PA.. Ill trade ya k?

You mean the lens just came right outa place?
    10-27-08 02:26 PM
    ya the glue cot all soft and i just peeled it right up
    10-27-08 02:31 PM
    There ya go Rachel, use your hair dryer and pretend you are lounging around outside in Phoenix, with Benzworm bringing you cold drinks to keep you hydrated!
    10-27-08 02:34 PM
    You took it apart, or laid it out there still all intact? LOL
    10-27-08 02:35 PM
    I cant pretend Im anywhere else living here in PA.. it sucks ya in, holds on and squeezes everything outa ya LOL

Good thought tho...
    10-27-08 02:36 PM
    i only set the front faceplate in the sun, not my whole berry... and what will you have to drink this evening ma'am?
    10-27-08 02:37 PM
    Well dear, since it is about 43 here.. lets have some coffee first LOL

Thanks for your help Benz.. your status also made me giggle this morning, or bought interesting images to my head haha
    10-27-08 02:43 PM
    Heat would definitley soften the adhesive, good idea Benz...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-08 02:44 PM
    Well, the adhesive right now around the lens on the face plate, isnt exactly secure lol the reason Im replacing it.. remember me posting about it a few days ago how it doesnt sit flush etc etc...
    10-27-08 02:47 PM
    I dont think I will use a hairdryer, I have a custom painted face plate, Im afraid it will soften the paint on it anyways..
    10-27-08 03:13 PM
    Well, the adhesive right now around the lens on the face plate, isnt exactly secure lol the reason Im replacing it.. remember me posting about it a few days ago how it doesnt sit flush etc etc...
    Your right Rachel, I remember you saying that now...
    10-27-08 04:22 PM
    Yuh, shouldnt be too hard obviously to pull it that way anyways..

Do I lay the adhesive on the lens then before pressing it, or lay it in the device.. know what i mean?
    10-27-08 04:23 PM
    id ask the person who painted it how they secured the lcd down...
    10-27-08 04:28 PM
    It was beckymae, I think she orders all hers already there ya know..
    10-27-08 04:30 PM
    she paints them with the lenses still on? now that is skill!
    10-27-08 04:32 PM
    I dont exactly know for sure.... and dont wanna start rumors LOL

But she does amazing work..

I just am so OCD about things, and it HAS to be just so, so the little *not flush* thing I have to change, but also the new lens is black...

Ill get round to it and report back.. eventually LOL
    10-27-08 04:34 PM
    ya let us know what happens
    10-27-08 04:49 PM
    I pressed the adhessive on, but it was all bubbly. Looked bad. Any tips? Do you put it on the lens first or the phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-08 04:37 PM
    I put it directly around the lens, peeled off the paper and then pressed it into place.. kinda match up the edges etc, its kinda tough with the sticky stuff, but i got it corectly, then pulled up the paper and stuck it on
    11-02-08 04:46 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD