I've got an 8330 with Verizon, currently running the .77 OS. Is there any reason to upgrade, or is it even possible?
    06-06-09 04:16 PM
    It's possible, but you should become familiar with your device and using Desktop Manager (Backups, etc.) before attempting upgrades to your phone's software.

Biggest reason to upgrade your OS is the speakerphone blast issue if you are experiencing it, where the phone is on speakerphone for a few seconds when you answer a call. The speakerblast problem is in the 4.5.0.77 through 4.5.0.127 OS builds.
    06-06-09 04:20 PM
    Never had that happen, that I know of. I'll just leave it as it is for now.

Thanks!
    06-06-09 04:25 PM
    I didn't have the speakerblast issue until 5 months after I upgraded to .77 then it all of a sudden started doing it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-09 04:43 PM
    Never had that happen, that I know of. I'll just leave it as it is for now.

Thanks!
    When I had 4.5.0.77 I didn't have the speakerphone blast either. I have since upgraded to .131 and now "the hybrid" (.160 w/ .131 radio). The process of upgrading your OS isn't too difficult, but if you're not having problems it might be best to stay with what you've got.

There are also plenty of tutorials on CB that can help you get comfortable with the upgrade procedures along with how to deal with a bricked phone is something doesn't go according to plan.
    06-06-09 05:09 PM
    I'm running the .77 as well and personally I don't feel comfortable upgrading to a new OS until Verizon releases it from their website. I know most people say it's easy, but I don't want to screw up my phone and my warranty.
    06-06-09 08:22 PM
    So other than the speaker blast issue, what has upgrading to these unofficial versions done for you?
    06-06-09 08:48 PM
    So other than the speaker blast issue, what has upgrading to these unofficial versions done for you?
    Not too much that I can think of. It was mainly the speaker blast issue for me that caused me to upgrade. The overall performance seems to be a little bit faster. I keep upgrading because I have a problem of wanting the latest OS that comes out.
    06-06-09 09:17 PM
    Not too much that I can think of. It was mainly the speaker blast issue for me that caused me to upgrade. The overall performance seems to be a little bit faster. I keep upgrading because I have a problem of wanting the latest OS that comes out.
    LOL...yea I feel ya!
    06-06-09 09:20 PM
    I asked about this same issue awhile ago..and from what I understand and have been told .77 is the only op system that verizon currently supports as official..hence the reason I havent upgraded yet.
    06-06-09 10:15 PM
    I asked about this same issue awhile ago..and from what I understand and have been told .77 is the only op system that verizon currently supports as official..hence the reason I havent upgraded yet.
    If you want to try the other OS versions out there, just download and keep the installer file for 4.5.0.77 on your PC. Then if you ever have any problems that require you to take your BB back to Verizon, you can install the .77 OS on your PC with just a double click on the .77 installer file. Then downgrade to .77 with Desktop Manager.

You can download the 4.5.0.77 installer file here:

BlackBerry® Software Updates
    06-06-09 10:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD