Hey guys I need a good ebook reader program for my curve, which do yall like the most? The least?
    08-27-08 01:56 PM
    08-27-08 01:59 PM
    I have mobireader too and love it!
    08-27-08 02:03 PM
    That's my vote, too.
    08-27-08 03:11 PM
    Can't seem to get Mobipocket Reader to work correctly on BB8310 w/4.5.0.99....anyone else figure out how to make it work properly? Keeps wanting to install upgrade, reboot 8310, etc etc....can't transfer any files....

Thanks for any suggestions...
    11-30-08 04:53 PM
    11-30-08 08:16 PM
    This was a great thread thanks everyone!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-08 11:00 PM
    hmmm... so I have it on my laptop but not my curve.

Can you download mobi OTA?

NM: I disconnected and reconnected the USB cable and it worked this time! Yay!
    Last edited by CatWiemann; 01-30-09 at 11:19 AM.
    01-30-09 10:22 AM
    I've been using mobipocket reader for a while now. It's been some time since I set it up, but IIRC, you install it on your computer and when you run it the first time, it installs itself on your handheld.
    01-30-09 10:52 AM
    I installed mobipocket OTA and snagged an ebook from manybooks.net to test it. For some reason mobipocket can't seem to find the downloaded ebook. Is it a buy-only program?

01-30-09 03:54 PM
    Is it a buy-only program?
    Mobipocket reader is totally free. I don't have any experience with the OTA install, but using it on a computer gives you a lot of options for converting and importing a variety of file formats. Have you tried running the program on your pc and syncing your phone to it?
    01-31-09 06:11 PM
    I second wattpad as a good option
    Surprisingly large selection that you can acess via OTA for free
    Last edited by sp_ahmed87; 02-01-09 at 09:40 PM.
    02-01-09 09:32 PM
    Mobipocket is very good.
    You can downlaod the BB reader free OTA. PC version also is free

After you download the BB reader, it creates a folder on your media card called "ebooks"

If you download a noncopywrited free book - from many books ("dot" net) or guttenberg - for example, the "book" goes to your media card. However, it is not in your "ebooks" folder - it's probably at the bottom of your media card when you hit "explore" from your menu button.

You need to move the book into the "ebooks" folder for mobipocket reader to be able to read it.

If you buy a book from mobipocket, that book will automatically go into the "ebook" folder and you're good to go

02-01-09 10:23 PM
    I downloaded mobipocket today but I'm confused with the formats. I was going to try a free book from fictionwise but it is in e-reader format which looks like it can't be read on the bb, according to their faq. Do I need to find software to convert it to the mobipocket format or do I just have to choose something else? I'm really confused with this, is there a tutorial for e books like in the newbie 101 lectures??
    02-11-09 11:27 AM
    Has anyone successfully installed and used Mobipocket on 8310 w/4.5.0.124? Last I tried was a few OS ago and it didn't work then.
    Many thanks for you input.
    Pablo
    02-11-09 11:44 AM
    i got the one with Think and Grow Rich, not sure what kind, but it was from here. Don't really like it to much.
    02-11-09 12:24 PM
    the reader....the book is great!
    02-11-09 12:24 PM
    Mobipocket reader is great! Can purch rite from ur bb & it loads rite then n there-instant gratification to wanting to read that book now! (Need to register online & create user/pw first)

02-11-09 07:30 PM
    Has anyone successfully installed and used Mobipocket on 8310 w/4.5.0.124? Last I tried was a few OS ago and it didn't work then.
    Many thanks for you input.
    Pablo
    Yep. Install on your PC. It will sync with your BB automatically. I have 20 or so books on my 8310. Most I found in HTML format. I just opened them in Open Office and converted them to PDF. Then I just send to my phone. I will detail the process in another post after I snag a couple more books to refresh my memory...
    Last edited by borockster; 02-12-09 at 05:56 AM.
    02-12-09 05:19 AM
    Just a quickie on Mobi Pocket reader. I wanted to make sure I remembered the process correctly before I wrote anything in detail so I went and snagged a couple freebies from Guttenberg.

How to snag a free ebook. (what I do...YMMV)

1) locate the book you want. If it is available as a PDF just download it to your PC. If it is in HTML (or any other format) simply copy all text and paste it into Open Office or any other program that will convert to PDF. Their are tons of free programs out there.

2) Open Mobi reader on your PC.

3) Attach your BB via USB to PC.

(It should sync automatically.)

4) At the top of the PC version of Mobi click on "import" and select the book on your PC. You can follow the progress as Mobi snatches it. Repeat as necessary.

5) After all of your books show up in the library your done with the import.

6) Now select the new book click on "send" and select your device. Again you can watch this happen. Repeat until done.

7) When all books are sent it's done. So close the PC mobi and disconnect your BB.

The BB mobi will be open and will probably say "no books". Just close the program and re-open it. "POOF!!" your books are there....enjoy!

Now if you snag stuff from Mobi you obviously do not have to convert them as they are ready to go. My tutorial is for folks grabbing up the freebies widely available (legally) on the net.

I choose to work with PDF because of all the formats it is the easiest to use and tons of books are available already converted.

Tip: forget the track ball....use the space bar to flip the pages!

Bo
    Last edited by borockster; 02-12-09 at 06:03 AM.
    02-12-09 05:55 AM
    pabloikba, did you get it working????
    02-13-09 05:29 AM
    Does this program work with the storm? Anyone know?
    02-19-09 02:32 PM
    Mobipocket is the best, and most annoying in my opinion.

I kept getting this error. When I synced Mobi from the desktop to my bb, is corrupted my memory card. I fixed this by manually creating a file, eBooks, on the card, and sticking the converted books into that folder using windows explorer. I add this in case anyone runs into the same error as I did.
    02-19-09 02:39 PM
    pabloikba, did you get it working????
    I've been away but will attempt it tonite and let you know....

And, thanks to all the posters with their procedures, etc.

Pablo
    02-19-09 03:16 PM
    That's my vote, too.
    That's the best avatar I have ever seen!!!
    02-19-09 03:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD