I have had my BB 8330 for almost a year now, and just recently, it's starting locking up OFTEN. Almost daily. It will lock up if I take a picture sometimes - it takes so long to save it, I have to do a battery pull. It also locks up when I go to my Facebook Application sometimes, and also if I try to SEND a photo to an MMS address, it will lock up then too. I did notice an "uncaught exception - memory full" error message just today - probably because I let the "locking up" run quite a time and didn't pull the battery yet. If this is the problem, what is my fix? Too many pics on the memory card? Too many apps installed? Too many emails in my inbox? I'm completely clueless.

I am frustrated popping my hard case off daily - which is wearing out the "tightness" of my case, and it's pretty hard to get off!

If anyone has any suggestions for me, please let me know...

Thanks,
    Dee
    03-29-10 10:27 AM
    You can reset the device by alt,right shift, delete instead of removing battery..... what is your free memory? (options,status, look at free memory). Memory card does not affect your device memory. You can have corrupt data or bad card that causes resets so you might use it without the card to see if that is the problem.

If you have not gone to messages, view folder and clean some of your old messages out that could be a problem too.

I believe at the top of the page on this forum, blackberry help, blackberry 101's, look for freeing up memory tips.
    03-29-10 10:38 AM
    I just removed DOCS TO GO.. I never use it. Thanks for telling me about ALT/RT SHIFT/DEL, and also where to find my free memory.. My File Free is: 16129207 - not sure what it was before I removed Docs to Go. I'm hopeful that this will help with the lockups.. Does this sound like enough memory or do I need to delete more???

Skype downloaded an icon on my BB overnight, too?!? How does this happen!!
    03-29-10 10:49 AM
    Most here think that anything below 10mbs is not good. Your berry will leak some memory so a reset every now and then will help. Check memory before and after reset to see what changes. Leaving apps open uses up available memory also. I try and keep mine between 16-28 mbs,,,
    03-29-10 10:57 AM
    I hate to sound stupid, but what is mine? Is mine below 10mbs? Not sure how to convert the 16129207 into mbs??
    03-29-10 11:07 AM
    16129207 = 16 129 207 = approx 16 MB

BUT that's pretty low for the 8330 which has more memory than the other Curves.

What other stuff do you have on the device?

Applications?

Are ALL your media files (pictures, songs, ringtones, etc) stored on the Media Card?

Go to Options > Status and press the Menu button and select Database Sizes to see other places where you have data stored such as mention above with your Messages.
    03-29-10 11:11 AM
    Mine like in My device...
    03-29-10 11:21 AM
    Woah.. I just found a bunch of Facebook posts that I didn't even know existed in my SMS Text folder, and then Phone Call Logs!!! Didn't realize in that "View Folder" option, there were all of these stored messages! Some were since I got the phone back in June! I just removed them all... Now after a soft reboot I have over 20MB... I also just checked for Database Sizes, which I also didn't know existed. I still have a lot of "messages" (assuming emails) that I need to delete..

Thanks! I hope this works..
    03-29-10 11:33 AM
    I just took a test "picture" and it saved it a bit quicker than it has been, and it didn't lock up! Thanks so much you guys for helping me find places to look for hidden "memory grabbers"..
    03-29-10 11:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD