Hi all i am new to the Blackberry. I recently got a curve from (AT&T 8310). When i go to a website to download a .mp4 file it says "you are forbiden error"
    Is it the restriction placed by att? if so how can i over come it?

thanks for your help!
    Last edited by budugu; 03-12-08 at 08:39 AM.
    03-11-08 08:25 PM
    The file is probably too large to download from your phone. Most carriers impose a 2mb file size limit.
    03-11-08 08:35 PM
    thanks for a quick reply. yeah it is was 4-5MB. I guess that could be the reason
    03-11-08 10:23 PM
    You are better off downloading it from a PC and transferring it via USB. It will be quicker.
    03-11-08 10:30 PM
    You are better off downloading it from a PC and transferring it via USB. It will be quicker.
    I actually checked with 1.4MB dummy .mp3 file. Att seems to block every "file" from downloading ! A 22KB file and a pdf at that! I might just return this darn thing. If you have been able to download any file, please tell me. Thanks
    Last edited by budugu; 03-11-08 at 11:03 PM.
    03-11-08 10:58 PM
    welll what i did was download the song from limewire. then brought up my media manager on the blackberry desktop manager. (i dont have a memory card) took the song and custom converted it. make everything as small as you can>.mp4 to mp3 etc. i can only hold about 8 songs though=(
    03-11-08 11:07 PM
    welll what i did was download the song from limewire. then brought up my media manager on the blackberry desktop manager. (i dont have a memory card) took the song and custom converted it. make everything as small as you can>.mp4 to mp3 etc. i can only hold about 8 songs though=(
    I guess one can side load. but my sprint palm centro allows me to download a 54MB file on to the card over sprint network! I thought att would allow me to download a 22KB one over the air. I guess i was wrong! I probably will pony up for the Sprint 8830.
    03-11-08 11:27 PM
    how to place myspace im on a blackberry phone
    03-11-08 11:30 PM
    The limit for mp3 or mp4 is probably about 5 MB. You may not have enough memory to save it in.

pdf files cannot be saved from the web. It looks like the new operating system out this spring may allow saving some kinds of files from email messages. Right now pictures are about all you can save through email.
    03-11-08 11:42 PM
    I thought .mp4's were protected and couldn't be directly uploaded to a BB due to the encryption.

When I download .mp4's from, say, iTunes, I have to save them to a CD and then I can upload them from another medium.

Am I wrong here?
    03-12-08 12:10 AM
    The limit for mp3 or mp4 is probably about 5 MB. You may not have enough memory to save it in.

pdf files cannot be saved from the web. It looks like the new operating system out this spring may allow saving some kinds of files from email messages. Right now pictures are about all you can save through email.
    I guess you are right. I had to enable the download "supported" files option. The limit seems to be around 4/5 mb. Is it the restriction because of RIM or att? as i said my palm centro (atleast on sprint) does not care about size or the format.
    03-12-08 12:46 AM
    I thought .mp4's were protected and couldn't be directly uploaded to a BB due to the encryption.

When I download .mp4's from, say, iTunes, I have to save them to a CD and then I can upload them from another medium.

Am I wrong here?
    Mp4 is just a specification like mp3s. But there could be different codecs and encryptions. Not all of them are encrypted and most are simple profile. Most of the time in the winmo/palm/symbian world you can play all of them. It is the size that is the issue (4/5 MB ~ very low) and also the file format (no pdfs docs etc!)
    03-12-08 12:49 AM
    I have a similar problem. But this is the funny thing....I have an 8830 and my friend has the same exact phone for Verizon. He has no third party software or anything....its EXACTLY the same as mine. He and I both received an email with an mp4 video attachment from a friend. His phone was able to open it and watch it, mine was not! Is there a hidden setting or something I need to turn on?
    01-09-09 11:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD