I recently updated my BB software to v4.3 but instead of overwriting the earlier version, Vista could not decide which version to boot as both still appeared in the directory. Multiple attempts to remove (uninstall) the earlier version have failed.

On the advice of Rogers (my carrier), I backed up my HD and did a clean reinstall of Vista and then installed Desktop Manager v4.3. After this, my machine would no longer re-start. I took the tower back to Best Buy and they admitted that this particular HP model had been having motherboard issues. Fine. I upgraded to a brand new laptop, installed Desktop Manager v4.3 and ... blue screen of death. wtf?!

Has anyone else has any issues with v4.3 and Vista? I can hardly believe that I'd be so unlucky as to have two defunct motherboards in successive pcs but I guess anything's possible.

Much appreciated,
    Jax
    07-01-08 04:57 PM
    On the advice of Rogers (my carrier), I backed up my HD and did a clean reinstall of Vista
    You got to kidding!

No CSR would ever run down a script and end with a re-install of Vista.

But, ISO 9001 must be loosly appied at Rogers.

At most, they can advise you to uninstall/reinstall BlackBerry DTM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-08 06:20 PM
    they admitted that this particular HP model had been having motherboard issues. Fine. I upgraded to a brand new laptop,...
    Best Buy geeks do not have a script to follow, they will tell you anything to get you out of their face, in particular, you need to upgrade.

07-01-08 06:26 PM
    Got through the rant, now for your issues.

I had no insyallation issues with DTM v4.3, other then the impact of Roxio Media Manager. After the install, it runs three threads that search out and log any media files. That slows everything down to a crawl.

Do a custom install and de-select Media Manager.

07-01-08 06:47 PM
    Hey Stoner,
    Thanks for the quick reply ... and for the rant. You're reading my mind. I'm trying to third-party convey this ridiculous mess. It's my fianc�e and my business but she handles the IT. We needed the upgrade, regardless, but I thought it weird that Rogers AND Geek Squad would be so quick with Vista. Rogers was stumped as they couldn't help her to uninstall the previous version of Desktop Mgr so they suggested a wipe.

I'll try the Media Manager tip and let you know.
    Thanks again,
    Jax
    07-01-08 10:36 PM
    Sorry I have had no problem with DM, even when I loaded 4.5 with 4.3 load it didn't cause an issue.
    07-01-08 10:42 PM
    Do What I did upgrade to XP Pro SP2 Vista is horrible.
    07-01-08 11:18 PM
    You got that right, MJGEGB.
    We downloaded Desktop_Software_v4[1].3_EN.exe from downloads.rogers.com instead of the version available through blackberry.com and it seems to be working. Not trying to cast aspersions on bb.com - nor am I giving rogers extra credit (screw you and your canadian iphone plans, rogers!), it just seems to work now.
    Thanks, everyone.
    07-02-08 09:38 AM
    Strange, Well i glade it's working now.
    07-02-08 09:49 AM
    I was able to install DM 4.2 sp2, 4.3, 4.5, and even the 4.6 beta... I agree that yes Vista is A POS OS, but like it has been said, I'm glad you got it working!!
    07-02-08 09:54 AM
    Do What I did upgrade to XP Pro SP2 Vista is horrible.
    lol, upgrade to XP...

XP has reached the end of it's life cycle:

Microsoft Corp. officially ended sales of Windows XP Monday, but some local computer dealers will get to offer it through year's end to consumers who prefer it to the newer Windows Vista.

Microsoft's June 30 "end of sale" date for Windows XP means the operating system can no longer be sold by large retailers - like Best Buy, Circuit City and CompUSA - and original equipment manufacturers - like Dell and Hewlett-Packard - as part of their Windows-based computers.

"Retailers and [original equipment manufacturers] can keep selling XP for as long as they have stock," said Microsoft spokesman Joel Steinfeld.

But after that, Windows Vista will be the only option for their PC buyers. The exception is the small computer shops - known as systems builders - that customize computers for buyers using kits that come from authorized Microsoft distributors.

Love it or hate it, Vista and its successors are the future of Windows.

Congrats to OP on getting past the DTM issue.
    07-02-08 10:05 AM
    I recently updated my BB software to v4.3 but instead of overwriting the earlier version, Vista could not decide which version to boot as both still appeared in the directory. Multiple attempts to remove (uninstall) the earlier version have failed.

On the advice of Rogers (my carrier), I backed up my HD and did a clean reinstall of Vista and then installed Desktop Manager v4.3. After this, my machine would no longer re-start. I took the tower back to Best Buy and they admitted that this particular HP model had been having motherboard issues. Fine. I upgraded to a brand new laptop, installed Desktop Manager v4.3 and ... blue screen of death. wtf?!

Has anyone else has any issues with v4.3 and Vista? I can hardly believe that I'd be so unlucky as to have two defunct motherboards in successive pcs but I guess anything's possible.

Much appreciated,
    Jax
    I agree with whoever said not to listen to the Best Buy Geeks, they have little or no training other than how to give the best non-answer.
    You need to become familiar with the site support.microsoft.com you can search and actually see what the service packs fix. As near a I can tell, it will do nothing for your problem with the blackberry desktop software accept for the way it interacts with outlook and according to the site, you will still get an error message after downloading it. If you download a service pack, make sure you check to make sure your applications are still running properly, if you see strange things, immediately do a system restore not a recovery which will "undo" the last update. According to Blackberry.com, if you install Software v4.2 SP1 (BlackBerry - BlackBerry - Sys Req V4-2 Pack 1) it should run with vista. The "Blue Screen of Death" usually means you have to do a complete recovery (restore to factory default) but if you are able to start it in safe mode then uninstall the software or do a system restore, (quicker) then try installing the Blackberry recommended updated version. Hope this helps.
    07-02-08 10:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD