Can someone here please tell me what the internet looks like on the blackberry. ATT keeps telling me that it looks just like it does on the iPhone. But I have heard otherwise.

Also, can you please tell me how the AIM, MSN, Gtalk, and blackberry instant messaging services work. ATT told me that those all use the Text messaging package from ATT. But I would have thought that they should be on the data plan since its not the same format as normal text messages.

Any info would be greatly appriciated. Thanks alot
    02-12-08 12:27 PM
    Most people who have used both an iPhone and a BB say that the iPhone has a better browser. The best you can do to mimic the iPhone is to use Opera Mini (free).

The instant message services work fine but they are very basic. I'm not familiar enough with AT&T to know if they use text or not on the carrier. If you want the best, get JiveTalk, it uses data. It has a free 30 day trial and is highly recommended by everyone here.
    02-12-08 01:11 PM
    Thanks for the info. Is the Opra Mini pretty cool? I just am used to lame internet on my razor that you cant acctually go to websites that you want to go to.

Is Jive talk an application for the BB? do you know the monthly cost of using it or is it just an application and it uses the data from the data plan?

Thanks again
    02-12-08 01:40 PM
    BB data plans should enable you to visit any site that you want. As for Opera Mini its almost like being at your computer. They have a demo on their site.

JiveTalk is reasonably priced. $20 for a device license (you can only use it on the BB you purchased it for, can't transfer it to a different BB).
    02-12-08 01:50 PM
    I was totally surprised when I called 611 after reading this and similar posts. The rep told me that IM apps like AIM, Yahoo, etc. are billed as text messages, NOT data. It makes no sense to me. I don't see how IMing uses the SMS system. It seems like it should be using the internet, thus being considered data. ANOTHER SHOCKER: AT&T counts INCOMING as well as OUTGOING texts/IM's in your total count.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-08 08:03 PM
    hmmm..so which messenger uses data plan ?
    02-12-08 08:24 PM
    hmmm..so which messenger uses data plan ?
    JiveTalk does. Uses strictly data
    02-12-08 08:37 PM
    If you have AT&T and the BlackBerry data plan, you should be covered as it allows unlimited text and data, correct?
    02-12-08 08:37 PM
    ANOTHER SHOCKER: AT&T counts INCOMING as well as OUTGOING texts/IM's in your total count.
    That shouldn't be a shocker. All carriers that I know of or have used currently and in the past all count incoming and outgoing texts toward your monthly limit.
    02-12-08 09:14 PM
    The IM feature that uses txt/sms is the OZ Messanger that you can download from the media net home page. I have tried it and it is just too slow to have a conversation with people. It also uses data that you will have to pay for if you do not have a seperate data plan.

I have used IM+ and that one is good but not worth the 50$ price tag. it uses only data connection so that's good.

I have switched to jivetalk and could not be happier. Its well worth the extra few $ for the user lisence. That way if you have to warente your BB you do not have to buy it again.

Hope this info helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-08 01:44 AM
    I tried downloadin jive talk and it crashed my bb
    04-17-08 10:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD