Please try to talk me out of this.... but I might have no choice.. I really love the BB Curve, but might have to get the bigger, lack-of-trackball Moto Q9h.

I am returning my BB Curve tomorrow. The device is excellent, this piece of hardware is amazing. HOWEVER, the BB software sucks a lot. Every week I found out that something a WM device (even WM 5) does that a BB does not. For example, today I discovered that all my "tasks" in OUTLOOK/TASKS have been truncated, cut-short!! ERASED! BB apparently has a "character limit" of 4200 or something, for Task OR Calendar entry! So my normal routine of cutting and pasting a travel itinerary into the DETAILS section of my Calendar day is not doable. What a shame for such a beautiful piece of hardware!

Also, reading of PDF or PPT requires special software, AND often requires DATA connection (like Beamberry, sending the doc back for "Translation") I often work in an office building where there is absolutely no cell phone signal or connection, so that didn't work.

Further, the USB-SYNC BB Desktop Software is 10x slower then ActiveSync, takes forever to sync my personal Outlook at home with my contacts, calendar, and task (see above again) AND it doesn't do THAT right?!

Microsoft needs to BUY R.I.M!
    12-25-07 06:36 PM
    Please try to talk me out of this.... but I might have no choice.. I really love the BB Curve, but might have to get the bigger, lack-of-trackball Moto Q9h.

I am returning my BB Curve tomorrow. The device is excellent, this piece of hardware is amazing. HOWEVER, the BB software sucks a lot. Every week I found out that something a WM device (even WM 5) does that a BB does not. For example, today I discovered that all my "tasks" in OUTLOOK/TASKS have been truncated, cut-short!! ERASED! BB apparently has a "character limit" of 4200 or something, for Task OR Calendar entry! So my normal routine of cutting and pasting a travel itinerary into the DETAILS section of my Calendar day is not doable. What a shame for such a beautiful piece of hardware!

Also, reading of PDF or PPT requires special software, AND often requires DATA connection (like Beamberry, sending the doc back for "Translation") I often work in an office building where there is absolutely no cell phone signal or connection, so that didn't work.

Further, the USB-SYNC BB Desktop Software is 10x slower then ActiveSync, takes forever to sync my personal Outlook at home with my contacts, calendar, and task (see above again) AND it doesn't do THAT right?!

Microsoft needs to BUY R.I.M!
    well i apologize that BB didnt have to offer what is necessary to assist your needs. 3rd party applications are all over the place to fix every complaint you've made....
    12-25-07 08:11 PM
    Please recommend software that could fix the "Truncated" calendar/task problem.

Regards.
    12-25-07 09:09 PM
    I'm only answering the task part of the issue. Who has tasks that are 4200 characters long, or longer? That's a lot of info...

Add said info to Notes!

Alternatively, try PocketDay, albeit you said you're getting ride of the Curve...
    12-26-07 07:48 AM
    A Calendar entry that is 4200 characters? Wow.
    12-26-07 07:50 AM
    I came from WM and just this last week had time to spend on a new Blackjack 2. After having the Curve for a month and then using WM I don't think I will ever go back. I would reccomend using some of the 3rd party software and giving it some time. Millions of professionals needing calanders and tasks can't be wrong! With the BB it just works. WM requires even more tweaking IMO. As far as ActiveSync being quicker I have seen no real difference and I have both.
    12-26-07 02:40 PM
    I can totally see wanting more the 4200 characters in a calendar entry.

I have planned more than 1800 meeting in 2007 for my boss and I include in the calendar entry, map and directions to the meeting, conference call instruction, meeting attendee's titles, positions and AA/PA contact information, emails leading up to said meeting and attachments.

You can easily go over 4200 characters.
    12-26-07 04:26 PM
    Wow- your in a minority choosing a windows mobile device over any other smartphone (except palm)-my personal opinion would be that you've never had a windows mobile device- I have myfriend and it would not be wise to make the switch. Use your 3rd party apps options to fill other needs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-07 05:12 PM
    I hope that one day, RIM would do what Palm did... putting Windows on their phones as an option! I actually have had three WM devices, and I really love the BB design in hardward, when I was playing with them in the stores and my friends'. Then I got my own, and the daily usage of it surfaced problems after problems.. like that Task/Calendar limitation in characters. It's easily over 4200 characters when you CUT AND PASTE an email containing hotel info, flight info, rental car info, meeting locations, agendas... I do that in ONE calendar entry so that I don't have to dig through 8 emails during my trip (and by then the emails would have been over 30 days or so, BB won't even sync those). Remember 4200 characters INCLUDE spaces.

Trust me, I am sick to my stomach having to give up this beautiful piece of machinary... but I have no choice because the SOFTWARE just does not do what I need it to do. I am sure Palm Treo came across that, why else would the put WM on their phones after all these years!? They were only limiting their sales. Hardware and software are totally two diff. things when it comes to choosing a mobile device (not just a phone).
    12-26-07 07:58 PM
    Wow, I am just not seeing the 4200 characters in a calendar entry. Maybe you should try to figure out a new way? I would instead of moving to a WM device! Goodness, even the government uses BB's, they must be nuts also? For the person that commented about planning meetings and putting all that info in a calendar entry, I would shoot you! Last thing, WM on a Blackberry, I think you missed the whole point of a Blackberry, security and stability, some form of linux would be acceptable, WM, never.

12-26-07 08:16 PM
    Just reread the original post, my 8320 reads pdf fine, as did my previous 7105t. Does att not include this in their OS version?

12-26-07 08:18 PM
    Yes, ATT sucks with BBs. They took out WiFi on the 8300 Curve (to make you use their data plan 100%) and yeah, PDF can only be read on email (going over the air for translation) and not just a file on your desktop that you want to move to your BB.

Trust me, I don't want to switch. I can't believe nobody ever came across this? When I told my friends this, they first said I was crazy, then I FORWARDED them just one of those "Task/calendar" entry via Outlook... they looked at it on their email system, and thought "ok, that's normal looking..." Then on their Blackberry... TRUNCATED! I guess I use the task/calendar more than everyone.

I beg to differ regarding the government usage of BBs. Most "secured" agencies would not allow Blackberries or any type of PDA phones. Those who allow BBs are mostly IT guys "working" at government facilities or glorified secretaries. I do know of one major city police departments just last year COMPLETELY switched over from BBs to WM.. because of cost.. yeah, not an acceptable IT security.. but better that then seeing your friends getting laid off right? Plus, to a non-technical person, WM is easier than BB...

My current government agency does not allow BBs, so mine is only for personal use, that's why I can switch whenever I want...
    Last edited by wolfman75; 12-26-07 at 08:29 PM.
    12-26-07 08:24 PM
    I think R.I.M need to buy microsoft lol. but WM on a blackberry device never. thats what killed palm lack of identity, if RIM did that then they would be just like every other problematic WM device
    12-26-07 08:26 PM
    SLVR6-preach it brotha!

12-26-07 08:49 PM
    I beg to differ regarding the government usage of BBs. Most "secured" agencies would not allow Blackberries or any type of PDA phones. Those who allow BBs are mostly IT guys "working" at government facilities or glorified secretaries. I do know of one major city police departments just last year COMPLETELY switched over from BBs to WM.. because of cost.. yeah, not an acceptable IT security.. but better that then seeing your friends getting laid off right? Plus, to a non-technical person, WM is easier than BB...
    Sorry, gotta call BS on this one. My wife used to work for the 3rd most powerful man in the US, and she and everyone around her carried BBs. That was most of DC.

Have you ever wondered how RIM got through the lawsuit (~3 years ago) which would have shut them down due to patent infringements? Basically all the lawmakers and their staff would have had to give up their devices (and the inherent security involved).

The federal government definitely does use BBs; not just the admins, practically everyone.

-E
    02-05-08 06:17 PM
    Instead of creating a task or appointment with over 4200 characters, why note create a note within the task or appointment? I don't think either application was intended to be used for essays.
    02-05-08 10:52 PM
    I can't comment on WM6.0, but what I do remember about WM when I used it is that it was very buggy. From an operational standpoint, WM was too cumbersome. I know this is a broad statement, but there are just too many inconveniences in WM to name. It doesn't seem to be worth the headache. I hope you have a change of heart, and keep the 'berry.

Windows for BB? I hope it never happens in my lifetime!

I can't wait for the curve to come out for verizon.
    02-07-08 09:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD