I noticed over the past week or so that my phone wasn't ringing when I was receiving calls. I checked everything to make sure that the profile settings weren't changed (i.e. ringer set to mute, etc). When I open the media folder and try to play the ring tone, I get the following error message "The media being played is of an unsupported format.". I am running 4.5 on my 8330. The ringtones that aren't working properly are Ringer_BBpro_1, BBpro_2, BBpro_3, and BBpro_4. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me since these are pre-loaded ringtones and they worked up until about a week or so ago. It's also quite annoying becuase I don't want some goofy song to play when I receive a call. I'd like my phone to actually sound like a phone.

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting these ringtones to work again? I've already tried uninstalling/reinstalling desktop software and wiped the handheld. Both have not worked.
    07-19-08 12:17 PM
    Try a battery reset with the device on. Since 4.5 is not offically released yet for this device on the VZW netowrk or device, it is hard to tell.
    07-19-08 12:21 PM
    Did your ringtones stop working around the time you installed the new OS? Also, if you are getting an error in the media player, this may be the culprit. Try playing a video and see if this works.
    07-19-08 12:22 PM
    Did your ringtones stop working around the time you installed the new OS? Also, if you are getting an error in the media player, this may be the culprit. Try playing a video and see if this works.
    All of the other ringtones and notifiers in the media folder play just fine. It's just the Ringer_BBpro_# ringtones that give me the error message which figures, becuase BBpro_1 was the one that I liked the best!

It likely is the fact that I installed 4.5 which hasn't been officially released by VZW. That's the only unusual thing I can think of which corresponds to about the same time the ringtones stopped working. So, if I revert back to 4.3, I lose Documents To Go (which I paid to upgrade to), and the ability to send/receive HTML e-mails, correct?

If that's the case, I guess I'll have to live with the goofy ringtones until VZW gets their act together and releases their version of 4.5.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    07-19-08 12:27 PM
    Till VZW gets their act together and releases 4.5

Interesting these are the reason why VZW just does not release things without testing.

Just a thought

Have a nice day.
    07-19-08 12:33 PM
    Hate to say it, but, yup.. This is exactly why I do not install beta apps/OS's/etc on my device.
    07-19-08 12:36 PM
    Don't think that the carrier's are going to fix something because they don't release the OS immediately. They usually are taking their time disabling the features that they want the customer to pay additional for. Verizon took many months to release WM5 for my last PPC after many of us had already installed the OS. In that time they made absolutely no change to any of the OS files. They did include a radio "Upgrade" which disabled tethering, but made no improvement to the radio function. Fortunately, Windows Mobile has a pretty active community that usually figured out ways to correct the flaws that the Carriers/Hardware developers/Microsoft all refused to admit existed.

Not that they couldn't fix it, just they have not done so in the past, from my experience.
    07-19-08 02:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD