I decided to try out the bb maps application on my 8310, and when I got to the site to do an OTA install, it said that it is not compatible with AT&T!!!! How can this be? Can someone please explain this to me? Muchly appreciated.
    04-09-08 10:04 PM
    ...because......att is evvvvil
    04-09-08 10:17 PM
    http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html

follow the directions here. part of it is how to get maps on att
    04-09-08 10:22 PM
    Just ignore the message on the website and click on download. I did and the BB maps downloaded and worked fine!!!
    04-09-08 10:23 PM
    No clue here. I downloaded the BB maps from the Blackberry Owners Lounge and I also have an 8310. Google it or open your media net browser and look under BlackBerry help or getting started section.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-08 10:25 PM
    ...because......att is evvvvil
    That is an understatement, they are the devil themselves
    04-09-08 10:31 PM
    mobile.blackberry.com then find the maps, bb maps, and download them, they will download for att. they did on my curve. use the phone browser to goto the site.
    04-09-08 10:33 PM
    I downloaded the application and when i tried it out, i thought it was horrible. Very erattic(sp?), and looked like something from 1980. So I uninstalled it and went back to google maps, which works a lot better, at least for me. Thanks for all the guidance and help crackberry users.
    04-11-08 03:24 PM
    Lol... BB maps evil, Lol.

Use Gmaps!
    04-11-08 03:29 PM
    The reason for that "prompt" is that At&t has a partnership (or is part owner of, I really don't know the specifics) with TeleNav and wants to try and make you think that you can only use that software. That is why there is a direct link to it on your phone when you buy it as well.
    04-11-08 03:34 PM
    The reason for that "prompt" is that At&t has a partnership (or is part owner of, I really don't know the specifics) with TeleNav and wants to try and make you think that you can only use that software. That is why there is a direct link to it on your phone when you buy it as well.
    It's a partnership... and that's what partners do right... support one another? Not that far fetched a concept ---- but, it BBMaps will work on your 8310...
    04-11-08 09:12 PM
    I used to use Google Maps, but now use the free, and very good Amaze GPS.

Pros: Free, works like a real GPS, with voice directions, automatic route recalculation, and more. Shows nearby landmarks, temperature and weather in your current location, and is more precise than Google Maps (better and faster at placing you in the right spot).

Cons: Slow to start up, clunky, slow, frustrating (at least to me) Java-based UI. Does not show traffic (Google Maps does).

Howevers: There is supposedly a new version coming out this month that addresses the startup and UI slowness issues. I have both apps on my 8310- they are both good, just for different things.
    04-12-08 06:24 AM
    Last week went to AT&T kiosk to upgrade my friend's phone to curve....the rep. said TeleNav is the only nav aid which works with curve GPS, the usual gimmick to sign u up for the service...as we talked about other things, he pulled up his curve to show the bb messenger on his curve...and guess what.....he had google maps on his curve !!!!!!!!!!!
    04-12-08 12:47 PM
    Since you have to pay for Telnav, would say go for googlemaps works just as well and free. You would think that the Telnav would be free after all the money we kick out to have a bb.
    04-12-08 01:28 PM
    Telenav just makes the program. They don't have a contract with RIM to enable to have it for free.

I know that Gmaps will be superior soon. I bet Google is working on Gmaps being like Telenav, but for free.
    04-12-08 02:22 PM
    i have it on my pearl but dont use it but it works cuz i tried it
    04-12-08 02:27 PM
    It's a partnership... and that's what partners do right... support one another? Not that far fetched a concept ---- but, it BBMaps will work on your 8310...
    I never said it was a far fetched concept there chief. I simply said that they want you to believe your only option is TeleNav when it isn't. Pushing TeleNav is one thing, and is something I would fully expect from a partnership; claiming that other things outright won't work when in truth, they work fine, is another altogether.
    04-12-08 09:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD