I'm currently on Verizon and have been bitten by the snake that disabled the GPS on this Curve 8330. Was stuck in the boonies without coverage, blah, blah.

Question: does the GPS on the Sprint and AT&T Curves work even if the carrier's service is unavailable?

Thank you!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-08 12:14 PM
    The GPS will work, but it will only be a dot on a screen. The maps require data to load. If you live in the boonies you are better off not using a network based gps solution. You could get the coordinates without data if that is any use to you.
    06-23-08 12:48 PM
    thanks, zina.
    07-03-08 03:41 PM
    You might want to try TomTom for mobile devices. You'll need a big memory card, though. I just ordered mine, as I'm going on a trip and am not sure of the coverage in all places. You'll also need a GPS puck, since Verizon cripples it.
    07-03-08 03:46 PM
    You might want to try TomTom for mobile devices. You'll need a big memory card, though. I just ordered mine, as I'm going on a trip and am not sure of the coverage in all places. You'll also need a GPS puck, since Verizon cripples it.
    Ah, this sounds interesting. What is a GPS puck, though?

thanks!
    07-03-08 03:48 PM
    A GPS puck is an external GPS receiver that connects to the blackberry via Bluetooth. I and many others on the forums use the Freedom Keychain 2000, available from the crackberry store. There are also other models available.
    07-03-08 05:58 PM
    I use BBmaps with bluetooth gps. I use the freedom keychain gps 2000. It works perfectly with my BB. Highly recommend. Feel free to pin me if you want more detail.

07-03-08 06:58 PM
    Guys,

Thank you so much! I didn't know about the GPS keychain, and it's damn good to know I'm not totally crippled by Verizon after all. lol.

Best news I've heard all week.
    07-03-08 09:25 PM
    A GPS puck is an external GPS receiver that connects to the blackberry via Bluetooth. I and many others on the forums use the Freedom Keychain 2000, available from the crackberry store. There are also other models available.
    I just got my Freedom Keychain yesterday and spent all day playing with it in the car. A few +'s are, it will "hibernate" if there isn't any activity on the BT radio for a few minutes, but wakes up when there is a request from the phone. It also doesn't need a direct line of sight to the sky. I had it in my cup holder and it worked fine. Maybe it's because of the sunroof, but then again the roof of a car is not thick at all. (I know cause I cut cars at work). Lastly, BB Maps loves a GPS puck. I had no problems, except when someone decided to call me when I was playing around..... how ruuuuude.
    07-04-08 12:48 AM
    ...BB Maps loves a GPS puck. I had no problems, except when someone decided to call me when I was playing around..... how ruuuuude.
    With the right bluetooth headset, you can talk on the phone while continuing to play with your BBMaps. Probably shouldn't drive while fiddling with BBMaps settings and talking on the phone, though.

I'm not sure what defines the "right" headset for concurrent operation. My Plantronics 855 supports Bluetooth 2.0 and works. I don't know if that's because of 2.0, or if Bluetooth 1.1 headsets would also work.
    07-04-08 07:38 AM
    Okay, just to be sure here...
    1) the Freedom keychain allows BB Maps to pinpoint my location and follow me along as I travel, right? And,
    2) because BB Maps doesn't use the Internet to provide a map on-screen, the GPS & BB Maps will work even if I'm outside of the Verizon coverage area, correct?

Have you guys settled on a cradle to hold your phone while driving, yet?

Thanks.
    07-05-08 11:57 PM
    My cradles:

Passenger seat
    In the OEM case clipped to the cup holder
    In the OEM case clipped to the visor
    07-06-08 12:02 AM
    My cradles:

Passenger seat
    In the OEM case clipped to the cup holder
    In the OEM case clipped to the visor
    lol. good ideas & can't beat the price. but, does it work well hanging above your head when you're trying to read maps?
    07-06-08 12:25 AM
    lol. good ideas & can't beat the price. but, does it work well hanging above your head when you're trying to read maps?

Well I look in advance......memorize most of it........and usually only have to refer to it sparingly...........if I am traveling with someone - they become the navigator (except they usually leave the map screen to play with the BB)
    07-06-08 12:29 AM
    1) the Freedom keychain allows BB Maps to pinpoint my location and follow me along as I travel, right? And,
    2) because BB Maps doesn't use the Internet to provide a map on-screen, the GPS & BB Maps will work even if I'm outside of the Verizon coverage area, correct?

Thanks.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but BBmaps, to the best of my knowledge does pull data to get maps. To store all the maps on the phone would take a gig of memory I believe.
    07-06-08 02:19 AM

Thanks.
    1) Yes.
    2) Yes, the gps will work outside the Verizon coverage area, but you won't have maps. BBmaps requires a data connection to d/l maps from the net. There are a couple of apps that store maps on the Media card. Trekbuddy is one.
    3) Scosche, $15 at wal-mart.

07-06-08 07:00 AM
    So quick question... I have AT&T and they are encouraging me to pay the 10 bucks for TeleNav which I am not impressed with. It is SLOW and no where near as nice as my Tom Tom on my iPAQ (I know old device, but worked).

So my question is...

If I don't pay for the TeleNav, but do have a unlimited data plan with AT&T will my GPS not work..? If I get Tom Tom (not even sure if TT has software for RIM products) or something else... will it not just use satellite information to navigate..?

My father in law has a BB device (the world traveler edition from Sprint) and had BB Maps on it and it works... he says he is not paying for the GPS on Sprint...

Help, please, I want GPS but it should be free after I pay for the software... right?
    07-11-08 12:03 AM
    Why do people on this board continually promote the Freedom keychain? It is overpriced for the features it offers.

Choice:
    Bluetooth GPS, GPS Data Logger, GPS for Palm, Laptop, Blackberry, PDA, Mounting kit for Garmin, Mio, TomTom - buy GPS Now
    07-11-08 01:06 AM
    Why do people on this board continually promote the Freedom keychain? It is overpriced for the features it offers.

Choice:
    Bluetooth GPS, GPS Data Logger, GPS for Palm, Laptop, Blackberry, PDA, Mounting kit for Garmin, Mio, TomTom - buy GPS Now
    just a guess here, but maybe they've found it to be a reliable piece of hardware over long periods of heavy use?
    07-11-08 05:11 AM
    So quick question... I have AT&T and they are encouraging me to pay the 10 bucks for TeleNav which I am not impressed with. It is SLOW and no where near as nice as my Tom Tom on my iPAQ (I know old device, but worked).

So my question is...

If I don't pay for the TeleNav, but do have a unlimited data plan with AT&T will my GPS not work..? If I get Tom Tom (not even sure if TT has software for RIM products) or something else... will it not just use satellite information to navigate..?

My father in law has a BB device (the world traveler edition from Sprint) and had BB Maps on it and it works... he says he is not paying for the GPS on Sprint...

Help, please, I want GPS but it should be free after I pay for the software... right?
    The GPS will still work, it's the software that's disabled. There are several GPS options available to you like AmazeGPS, Nav4All, etc. You should check the GPS forum for the best information.
    07-11-08 05:18 AM

Choice:
    It's the GPS I own and use. I know it works great. Therefore I recommend it. I won't recommend something I haven't used. I do sometimes acknowledge there are other models. I also frequently point people to the Crackberry store. There they will find other models as well. If there's a particular model you use and recommend, you're welcome to post it as well.

07-11-08 06:43 AM

Choice:
    So, I clicked the link to check-out that site, and uhhh...I don't even see the 8330 listed as a BB there. A little behind in the game maybe?
    07-12-08 12:48 PM
    Jeff et al...

I would actually prefer to have the maps saved to my phones memory so that I won't lose my maps once I leave the coverage area. Does map software, that allows me to save maps on the 8330's external memory, exist? I'm not seeing it in the CB store.

Thank you!
    07-12-08 01:12 PM
    Jeff et al...

I would actually prefer to have the maps saved to my phones memory so that I won't lose my maps once I leave the coverage area. Does map software, that allows me to save maps on the 8330's external memory, exist? I'm not seeing it in the CB store.

Thank you!
    Trekbuddy and Mobile GMaps are two apps that store maps on a microSD card. Garmin also makes a card-based app. I don't have the links handy on Wap, but if you search the GPS & Mapping forum, you find links to Trekbuddy and Mobile GMaps. Garmin's product can be found on their website.

07-12-08 01:16 PM
    Trekbuddy and Mobile GMaps are two apps that store maps on a microSD card. Garmin also makes a card-based app. I don't have the links handy on Wap, but if you search the GPS & Mapping forum, you find links to Trekbuddy and Mobile GMaps. Garmin's product can be found on their website.

Thanks, Jeff!
    07-12-08 01:18 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD