yesterday my blackberry curve 8310 suddenly started power cycling the phone would power on for like 3 seconds then shut off... I didn't know what to do I took the phone to 2 phone repair shops and they told me that they couldn't fix it... so then I read the ""BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry"" on this site... and I thought it worked but now when I power it on it only shows the hourglass over and over and it won't stop... the phone is att it previously had the 4.2 OS and I have never installed any third party apps or anything of that sort... when I updated it using the Blackberry 101 How-To I installed the 4.5 OS... then when I turned on the phone it only shows the hourglasss.... so what should I do???? any help would be appreciated
    03-28-09 08:03 PM
    If you have a memory card in your BB take it out. Does it make any difference?

If not, you may have to repeat loading the OS on your BB. You may want to wipe your OS off your BB with JL Commander first for a clean install of your 4.5 OS:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...l_cmder-53502/
    03-28-09 08:13 PM
    no I don't have a memory card inserted... and I'll try that method and post back with my results

thanks for the fast response

EDIT: wait i don't think it's working... the BB is showing the hourglass the phone is connected to the computer via USB with the battery inside of it no microsd or sim card in the phone.... when I run JL_Cmder it just says "Connecting to Device...."
    Last edited by EMendoza93; 03-28-09 at 08:25 PM.
    03-28-09 08:19 PM
    Use the upgrade/downgrade link in my sig. Follow the Advanced Procedure.
    03-28-09 08:26 PM
    no I don't have a memory card inserted... and I'll try that method and post back with my results

thanks for the fast response

EDIT: wait i don't think it's working... the BB is showing the hourglass the phone is connected to the computer via USB with the battery inside of it no microsd or sim card in the phone.... when I run JL_Cmder it just says "Connecting to Device...."
    Try taking the battery out, does JL Commander detect the phone with the battery out?
    03-28-09 08:29 PM
    should I use CrackMem V2.x?

EDIT: No JL_Cmder doesn't because the phone shows a blank screen with a battery and a slash through it, and when it tells me to enter blackberry I do but then it just goes back to the black screen where I have the 7 choices (on JL_Cmder)
    Last edited by EMendoza93; 03-28-09 at 08:32 PM.
    03-28-09 08:30 PM
    Try CrackMem.
    03-28-09 08:33 PM
    I can't because when the phone is booting it's stuck on the hourglass the CrackMem requires me to connect to Desktop Manager and have the PIN appear at the bottom but the Desktop Manager won't even detect the phone...
    03-28-09 08:35 PM
    Did you try the recover a dead BB procedure? Link in my sig.
    03-28-09 08:39 PM
    Oddly the phone is back up and running again!!! YAY!!! I don't what happened... but I left the phone connected and was reading up on the threads and then I saw the boot screen of att and now everything is working again!! YAY!! thanks for your help!

is there any procedures I should take to make sure it doesn't happen again???
    03-28-09 08:42 PM
    Consider yourself lucky, but I'd be wary that something is wrong/flaky with the current OS installation.

Now that your BB is working, you might want to consider wiping with JL Commander and reloading your OS again.

If you really want to be sure, you can even delete the current 4.5 OS from your PC using Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs, then redownload the 4.5 OS and install it to your PC in case it was a bad download the first time.

Also, what version of DM are you using? If it is DM 4.7, I recommend removing it from your PC and downloading/installing DM 4.6 instead. Less problems, especially with OS installs/upgrades with the Curves.
    03-28-09 08:49 PM
    currently I am running DM 4.6 so no worries, and by wiping it with the JL Commander right now would there be any chance of anything go wrong and the same problem arising?
    03-28-09 08:52 PM
    currently I am running DM 4.6 so no worries, and by wiping it with the JL Commander right now would there be any chance of anything go wrong and the same problem arising?
    It depends, if the hourglassing was caused by bad code in the OS, wiping and reinstalling the OS would be the way to go. If the cause was hardware related, then there is the possibility that the hourglassing will prevent a successful OS reinstall, even after wiping and starting from a clean slate.
    03-28-09 08:57 PM
    I reread your original post. It might be a hardware issue in your BB causing the hourglassing.

Is your BB less than 12 mos. old? If it is, then there is the warranty replacement option if the OS reload doesn't work. But if the BB is out of warranty, then it's your call on how you want to proceed.
    03-28-09 09:02 PM
    I don't know how old the phone is I bought it a couple months ago used....

if I leave it as is, and the problem does come back again do you think I could still bring the phone back to life?
    03-28-09 09:03 PM
    I turned on the BB today and it shows the hourglass for a bit then it says

App Error 523
    Reset

then I choose reset but the same thing happens

since the phone has been fixed I've installed Guitar Hero III, Bejewled, and the BlackBerry NES Emulator, could installing those be the problem? just when I thought my phone was fixed more problems come up
    03-29-09 09:38 AM
    Could be removed the last application installed prior to the error and see if this helps
    03-29-09 09:43 AM
    should I do this via DM? because currently DM isn't recognizing the phone

EDIT: app was being removed via DM but after the app was removed, it's stuck on "Connecting to Device" and the screen of the BB says "App Error 523"

EDIT2: I leave it going how I mentioned above since the "Connecting to Device" bar is slowwwly filling

EDIT3: Problem Solved App Successfully Removed
    Last edited by EMendoza93; 03-29-09 at 05:27 PM.
    03-29-09 04:04 PM
    oh god here come the problems again... well today during school during 4th period i was going to check the time on my phone and realized it was off... so then i pushed the on buttong and it turned onn shower the hourglass then turned off and the red led light came on then the process repeated... i came home now and tried all the previous things i've done to get it back up and working...... but the problem is still the same any ideas what to do?
    04-03-09 06:04 PM
    no help this time?
    04-03-09 08:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD