I have an unlocked 8310, voice and sms work but data will not. I cannot get "EDGE", only "edge" and Rogers tells me this is because the phone is unlocked and someone screwed up along the way so i'm SOL and i should just buy a Rogers device.

I am curious to know if there is an easy fix and if this is a common problem?
    10-20-09 03:49 PM
    If they said that this is because your phone is unlocked, they obviously don't know what they are talking about.

Unlocked phone just let's you do a wee bit more than a locked device. I think the person you were talking to didn't know the solution to your problem and blamed the phone for it to get rid of you. Call their customer rep, and ask them again.

If EDGE is not working on an unlocked device, it will not work on a locked device either. I think Rogers' sales reps make commission on every device they sell. So don't let them use you.

If someone messes up while unlocking a device, then the device will be bricked. It might turn ON but you wouldn't be able to do anything with it. It is a yay or nay kind of thing.

Check if anyone else is getting EDGE in you area, you might be getting very low signal reception. If that is the case, you probably want to change your antenna (or the entire middle housing/chasis since that is easier and it has the antenna preinstalled on it).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-09 11:17 PM
    big bro, could u please share those .174 file in a local link. it is easier for us to share/download.
    coz it's been 10 times and always fail at 90%+ from d blackberry.com site
    thx in advance. peace out
    10-20-09 11:39 PM
    I am having the same problem with an unlocked 8320 I recently bought. Have edge but not EDGE - phone and sms work data does not. When I put my SIM card in my wifes BB - all's well so it seems that Rogers has it set up properly, but I just cannot seem to get EDGE on mine - does anyone have any ideas here??????
    11-27-09 01:13 AM
    Update the OS on the device.
    11-28-09 10:54 AM
    EDGE on the display just means that your phone is in EDGE coverage. For instance, in Canada when you are in a big city (like Toronto, Vancouver, etc) you will get 3G coverage, when you are in smaller towns you will get EDGE coverage, which is slower than 3G, and on the highway (if you are lucky) you will get GPRS coverage, which is the slowest data transfer you can get on a cellphone.

That said, I haven't seen 3G symbol on my BB, but that's probably because BB 8320 isn't a 3G phone. But I do see GPRS symbol when I am on the highway.

For data, make sure that in your device you have "Data Services" turned ON in "Manage Connections".

If your device is branded (to a carrier different than the one you're on), you might have to debrand your device, or somehow get your network's internet settings on the device.

I hope that answers your question.
    11-28-09 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD