A quick googling of my title will show just how many people seem to be having this problem, though most of the threads seem to be less than well articulated so I'm hoping that my attempt here will yield a more effective response.

About 95% of the time, when attempting to charge the device in any manner the device will restart and load with a picture of a battery with a red slash through the middle of it. The device (in my case an 8310) will not respond to soft resets and usually a battery pull will result in the same screen popping up.

IT IS NOT THE BATTERY. I've tried with multiple different curve batteries, all of which have worked fine in other curves, and have purchased a brand new battery from a T-Mobile store; all to no avail.

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT I'M CONNECTED TO. USB to different machines, car charger, wall charger.

THERE WAS NO PREVIOUS DAMAGE TO THE BATTERY CONTACTS/BB AT ALL. Though after the drop method explained below, my BB is in a bit rougher shape, it will still fire up around 10% of the time.

I've read through posts everywhere; blackberry's (worthless) support, all of the relevant posts on crackberry, pinstack, and other forums, and consulted with other support techs.
    No one can offer any sound advice except a few things:

-the "drop method": for some reason pulling the battery, replacing it, then dropping your BB from about 3 ft up on to a wood floor before it has the chance to start up has about a 10% rate of resulting in the BB booting in to the OS. I'm baffled too.

-the "timing method": involves reloading the OS to the BB without the battery in, and then replacing it at a certain undefined exact moment when files are being copied back on to the BB. Again has about a 10% rate of resulting in the BB booting back in to the OS.

-consensus that it is a battery voltage/firmware issue. I'm not sure how/if its possible to reload the firmware though I've seen that suggested in a few forums. It can't be referring to reloading the device OS, so i'm assuming cracking open the BB and finding some way to flash the firmware in that manner?

My device is (clearly) out of warranty, and though this issue seems to mostly to mostly affect older devices I've seen a few Storms are having a similar issue. The drop method worked for a while for me, and when that didn't work I was successful in getting the timing method working after a few tries, but it is exceedingly frustrating having to do this every 3 days or most pressingly if I accidentally drop the phone and the battery separates.

Notably with the release of the DM 5.0 I can't get the timing method to work anymore either.

Day 2 without a working BB and my hands are starting to sssshakkke. Need a fix bad.
    11-05-09 02:21 AM
    This part of your post makes me think that maybe you are just too rough with your phone:
    The drop method worked for a while for me, and when that didn't work I was successful in getting the timing method working after a few tries, but it is exceedingly frustrating having to do this every 3 days or most pressingly if I accidentally drop the phone and the battery separates.
    Maybe you should get an Otterbox for your next BB.
    11-05-09 01:18 PM
    I had that problem with my bb world edition and that was because of the battery and where the battery goes..... something (don't know the legit terms) was messed up on the inside and it wasn't recognizing the battery.

Do you have insurance on your phone? But you also stated that its an older bb...... it may be time to upgrade.
    11-05-09 02:02 PM
    That Problem NOT BECAUSE BAD BATTERY !, i have some problem also .... my bb in the beginning is ok, but after i dont use almost 2 years and i had tryed to turn on my bb doesnt work anymore .... first time i thought my battery cannot used anymore but after i change with new one the problem still not resolved.

After i was browse to anywhere , finally i had the answer if my bb8800 has lost power for inside boot rom and all data setting on my ram all is empty so i must re-install all from beginning with new o/s ....
    04-10-10 01:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD