My 8310 has been charging and when I checked it the screen shows a battery with a red line through it. NO battery is what I interpret it as. It has a battery in it and I switched out the battery in my 8700 which I know is working. Same screen comes up.
    Anyone know what this is?
    10-05-08 07:56 PM
    Means that this battery is no compatible with your Device.
    10-05-08 07:57 PM
    Means that this battery is no compatible with your Device.
    This is the battery that came with it and I have been using for the last 9 months.
    10-05-08 08:08 PM
    Search for how to recover a dead berry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-08 08:10 PM
    Search for how to recover a dead berry

Tried the recovery and everything else. Even JL Cmdr will not wipe it. Cannot communicate from the PC to the berry. It will not recognize it. My guess is the usb connection is bad on the berry.
    My IT is getting me a new Curve so this one will be a paperweight soon.
    10-06-08 09:57 AM
    The battery is dead, dead, dead. You need to buy a new one. That is what the symbol you describe means. Sorry man.
    10-06-08 10:02 AM
    The battery is dead, dead, dead. You need to buy a new one. That is what the symbol you describe means. Sorry man.
    That is not the problem as I have a new battery from my 8700c that is fully charged and it will not work in it either. Also, when I switch the battery in the 8310 to the 8700c the 8700c works fine and shows a fully charged battery.
    10-06-08 11:04 AM
    That is not the problem as I have a new battery from my 8700c that is fully charged and it will not work in it either. Also, when I switch the battery in the 8310 to the 8700c the 8700c works fine and shows a fully charged battery.
    Replace the battery with a new one for the phone and it will work. To my knowledge the two batteries are not the same - I could be wrong but, my take is always to put the correct BlackBerry battery in the correct phone.

If it is not the battery you have a dead phone.
    10-06-08 01:13 PM
    I had a similar prob with a new battery last week. I emailed the ebay seller and explained. Dealer asked what color was the battery, because the 8310 battery should be blue. I told her that the battery was yellow. She apologized and said she was putting the coirrect one in the mail that same day

10-06-08 03:52 PM
    There is something else you can try. Inspect the Gold contacts on the bottom of the battery. If there is any contamination, gently clean them with a pink rubber eraser. Do the same for the spring loaded contacts in the device.

If that still fails, replace the battery with the correctly sized unit.
    10-06-08 03:57 PM
    There is something else you can try. Inspect the Gold contacts on the bottom of the battery. If there is any contamination, gently clean them with a pink rubber eraser. Do the same for the spring loaded contacts in the device.

If that still fails, replace the battery with the correctly sized unit.
    OK for all of you that insist it is my battery. Just got a new Curve 8310 and put the battery from the one that had the battery on the screen with the red line though it in the new one. It works fine with that battery. So it ain't the battery!
    Something else is going on with the other bberry that no one on here has an idea about. I have got a lot of good information off of here lurking the last few years. But as my IT guy said when I told him about this problem, "Yeah no one knows what causes that screen". I think he is correct.
    It sure as heck is not the battery because it works in my other Curve, and it worked in my 8700c also.
    10-06-08 08:10 PM
    It’s so irritating that people keep insisting it’s the battery. I dropped the phone about 3 feet. After that I got this symbol. I tried 3 different batteries which I got from other people’s blackberries at work and none worked. I also tried mine in their phone and it worked fine. There is some defect with the blackberry pearl that allows this. After much searching and wading through piles of people claiming it was the battery, I found somebody who said they fixed it by dropping their phone. Several others said it fixed theirs also. What the heck I tried it, and poof like magic it works again. Don't know why and I'm sure I'll never find out. Of course it’s risky but so is being told it’s the battery over and over.
    10-30-08 06:40 PM
    Normally it is the battery. In this case it seemed to be whatever detects the battery type was malfunctioining. I hope you do not need drop it again. Might stop working altogether. Good luck
    10-30-08 06:50 PM
    I felt your frustration here too after so many repetitive "I tried diff ones"!!
    AnyWayz I had that problem since last night and read your trouble shooting attempts and till I got to dropping the phone - I thought you had lost your mind especially since u were earlier the crazy one who wouldn't listen to "Change your battery" ....But however, I dropped my phone about 3 times on a wooden floor, turned it on and voila!! My phone rebooted and was restored......Thanks for all the back & forth.....it worked solutions right here!
    01-18-09 03:12 PM
    FIXED! I read the comments about the battery and obviously if the supposedly defective battery works in another phone, it's obviously not the battery.
    I then read about the dropping it technique. I tried it different ways, with the battery in, without it...here is the "tech data" on how to fix it...
    1. Put the battery in. This will cause the phone to automatically try to boot up (turn on).
    2. Before it displays (or after I didn't wait that long, so just do it before for times sake) the battery with a red line through it, drop it from about 3-4 feet.
    3. In my case, the rotating hour glass was displayed and the phone works like a charm.
    Also a story that will make you say wow...dropped my phone (Pearl 8120) in the snow mid-January. Couldn't find it. Two days ago I was getting into my car
    and saw someone pick up a phone from the grass outside the apartments. I said "Hey! Thats mine!" It still powered on but was kind of messed up, speaker
    was really quiet, buttons not working...etc. I gave it one day and it works perfectly fine, didn't lose any data/memory, and speaker is awesome. So basically it spent a month under the snow/water and still works. Wow, what a phone. And actually before that I dropped it in a sink full of water. Still works.

02-13-09 11:05 AM
    I don't know about dropping the phone to fix it but I have a Curve 8330 on VZW that does this as well. "IT IS NOT A BAD BATTERY". It is some type of phone defect. Loss connection, dirty contacts maybe? When my phone does this I do a battery pull. It may take a couple tries but it will eventually boot up.
    02-14-09 09:15 PM
    not to thread jack here but when ur phone was dropped in the snow, its not like it was goin to get wet inside immediately, then by the time it got wet the battery was most def dead. thats what kills the unit is when the electronics have power and shorts all sorts of crap out. just cuz internals got wet doesnt mean the phone is toast, as long as u can get the power off the phone asap and then DRY IT ENTIRELY, then you can normally save the phone. musta been lucky when you put the battery in and it was muffled that nothing shorted out. just my 2 cents.

but back onto the topic....im sure a simple smack of the device into your palm (so save any comsmetic damage) would have the same effect as the dreaded 3 foot drop onto the floor. too risky for me and my beloved berry! just some sort of loose connection on the inside of the device.

An even better idea would be to take the device apart, which as a service and repair rep i can tell u is very simple and im sure there are directions on the forum to do so, and to look for something that is not connected or looks simply out of place....the floor drop fix is just simply jarring something back into place. just be gentle opening the device up and lookin for abnormalities...obviously most of you arent going to know what a board is supposed to look like but im sure you would notice something wrong in some sort of a pattern or if a wire was slid out of place or something. again just my 2 cents....if you have insurance through sprint just let the rep do it or be uneducated and just order u a new one at no expense.
    02-14-09 11:03 PM
    FIXED! I read the comments about the battery and obviously if the supposedly defective battery works in another phone, it's obviously not the battery.
    I then read about the dropping it technique. I tried it different ways, with the battery in, without it...here is the "tech data" on how to fix it...
    1. Put the battery in. This will cause the phone to automatically try to boot up (turn on).
    2. Before it displays (or after I didn't wait that long, so just do it before for times sake) the battery with a red line through it, drop it from about 3-4 feet.
    3. In my case, the rotating hour glass was displayed and the phone works like a charm.
    Also a story that will make you say wow...dropped my phone (Pearl 8120) in the snow mid-January. Couldn't find it. Two days ago I was getting into my car
    and saw someone pick up a phone from the grass outside the apartments. I said "Hey! Thats mine!" It still powered on but was kind of messed up, speaker
    was really quiet, buttons not working...etc. I gave it one day and it works perfectly fine, didn't lose any data/memory, and speaker is awesome. So basically it spent a month under the snow/water and still works. Wow, what a phone. And actually before that I dropped it in a sink full of water. Still works.

It wont work for much longer. Sorry.
    02-15-09 10:05 AM
    OMG!!! I have been so frustrated trying to figure out what was going on with my BB. It appeared as if it was dead, would not come on, would not charge, red LED light would blink then flash a battery with a red line thru it for just a second and would go black. I was without it all day and I was starting to have withdrawls!!! Then i read thru these threads, got to the "drop it" part and pondered that for a few moments. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I tried it. The first time I only dropped it from about 5 inches....nothing. Then I plugged in the USB cord, held it up to about 2 feet, my husband walked in the room, and I dropped it! He thought I had lost my mind, and then I looked at the phone and......you guessed it, it works!!!!! I am still in shock (so is my husband). Thanks to all of you pioneers, if you hadnt been willing to drop your BB I would still be without mine (and probably lots of money in the hole)!!!
    02-15-09 08:57 PM
    That would have been funny to see him walk in with you just about to drop it and bam there it goes....
    02-15-09 09:04 PM
    I'd have been way too afraid to drop my BB. i guard it like a hawk. I could see the look on the face of your husband LOL
    02-15-09 11:36 PM
    To All User...
    I Have The Solution For The Battery Redline, Just Reheat The Mainboard Under The "cpu" And Make Update.
    And It Will Be Ok 100%. I Have 2pcs Bb8300 And 1 Bb8310 With Same Problem And Its All Ok... Goodluck Guys And Have A Nice Day
    02-17-09 02:08 PM
    It works.

A little background. Last night I was having a few beers at the bar with my wife and had my phone on the bar. Well the water from the bar and the frozen mugs ended up getting my battery wet.

The little red x's appeared. The battery was low on power so it turned itself off.

I tried to turn it on this morning and nothing. I plug it in and get the battery with the line through it. I searched, found this thread, cleaned the terminals...nothing.

Hooked it up to the wall charger, hit the power button and dropped it flat on it's back from 3 feet. Took two times and now we are back in business...

I'd really like to know why this is?
    03-01-09 08:53 AM
    I also did the "drop" method , and the berry came back to life! I'd like to know what this does to it to make it work again.

03-01-09 09:07 AM
    I also did the "drop" method , and the berry came back to life! I'd like to know what this does to it to make it work again.
    My guess is that it jars the berry's contacts against the battery and make a good connection again with the battery. If there was a good way to clean, or burnish, the contacts on the Berry, that would be much safer.
    Good Luck!
    03-01-09 01:46 PM
110 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD