Hey, I have an 8330 and its a great device but sometimes I notice the free memory will go from 37mb to 28mb sometimes. I make sure I don't have an apps running in the background but no matter how little I'm using my curve it'll lose memory. Only thing I see that works best is a battery pull. So my question is how often do you guys battery pull? Do you have it set in options? Do you use other alternatives to free up memory (don't mention options>security>memory cleaning, doesn't work how I'd like).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 05:56 PM
    Hi

Memory cleaning is not used to free up memory that is more for security. A little variation is normal but I am not sure if going from 37 to 28ish is a little or not. That is more than I use in a day or two or three with no pull. Facebook? Viigo?

If you are a heavy texter that could be the cause. Best thing for simulating a battery pull is quickpull, you can download that and run it manually or just set up the scheduler and have it automatically run daily at a time of your choosing. Its a nice way to wake to a fresh berry......... I do a battery pull only when I have an issue which is rare. I will however use the soft reset on occasion to refresh if I notice a slow down.....
    02-11-09 06:01 PM
    I suspect Viigo is one of the main culprits in memory space loss. I updated my 8320 to .124, and noticed a good increase in free memory, sometimes up to 12-13 MB. For the last few days, it is dropping to ZERO a few times daily, causing frequent lockups, and making battery pulls the only solution again.
    02-11-09 06:40 PM
    Right now I have my options set so that it can automatically turn off at 3am and turn itself back on at 5am I think do it this way will cause a lot less battery pulls during the day.

02-11-09 09:28 PM
    are doing many battery pulls harmful in anyways?
    02-11-09 10:07 PM
    Nope! Well other than maybe making things loosen over time like the back cover etc which is not likely but it could happen.... pulling the battery out should be fine and is extremely common unfortunately.
    02-11-09 10:10 PM
    I've done numerous batt pulls and never had a problem @ all afterwards.
    02-11-09 10:12 PM
    Is just setting the Curve to turn off and on like "toomuchgame441" recommended good enough or is better to run "Quick Pull"?
    02-11-09 10:58 PM
    Lol why is my s/n in quotations? Just curious.

02-11-09 11:04 PM
    Quickpull is as close as you can get to an actual battery pull. The actual pull itself IMO is better but to answer your question using Quickpull or doing a soft reset (alt - rshift - del) is more effective than simply powering the device on/off.
    02-11-09 11:09 PM
    And if you're by chance running Facebook, that will suck a lot of memory too.

02-11-09 11:10 PM
    I saw a genius say that there is a "very remote chance" that a battery pull could corrupt your OS... but you'd just have to reinstall it via DM...

In other words, it's not totally benign, but everybody does it and never thinks twice... IDK if there is a documented case of it harming something that can't be blamed on something else...
    02-11-09 11:32 PM
    Lol why is my s/n in quotations? Just curious.

Hey Toomuchgame441 - No real reason. It just looked weird in the middle of the sentence. No offense intended.

Quickpull is as close as you can get to an actual battery pull. The actual pull itself IMO is better but to answer your question using Quickpull or doing a soft reset (alt - rshift - del) is more effective than simply powering the device on/off.
    Thanks! Should it be done at a regular interval, e.g. daily, every other day, weekly etc.?
    02-12-09 12:41 AM
    With quickpull there are many who have it setup to pull while they are asleep so they wake up to a fresh berry so I guess that is a nice feature. Personally I only reset or quickpull when I need to. If I have a little lag, a indicator that wont go away or low memory.....It wont hurt to do it daily but for my purposes there is no reason for it
    02-12-09 12:46 AM
    Is just setting the Curve to turn off and on like "toomuchgame441" recommended good enough or is better to run "Quick Pull"?
    Turning your BB off and on or using auto off/auto on in the middle of the night does nothing to affect memory. It's analogous to putting your laptop to sleep. Battery pull or QP is like restarting your laptop.
    02-12-09 06:38 AM
    Memory cleaning can do more than some think. I do a lot of cut and pasting. Memory cleaning clears the clipboard and sometimes gives me 1 or 2 mb back.

Turning your BB off does nothing. Infact I saw my memory go down sometimes. Quickpull is sweet and resets my BB at 5:45 every am.

02-12-09 06:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD