I was just wondering is it farily typical to due a battery pull every so oftein?

my 8330 had some significant lag and a battery pull took care of that, are these devices just like home PC's you just need to reset them every so oftein?
    12-12-08 10:47 AM
    It's probably a memory issue that is causing your lag. Battery pull offers a temporary memory increase.. What is your file free? Options > status.

Check the memory opt in my signature to learn more about it.
    Last edited by berry me with it; 12-12-08 at 10:54 AM.
    12-12-08 10:51 AM
    28680423 Bytes. Free is that okay? And I would assume I can use DTM to free up memory?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 10:55 AM
    28680423 Bytes. Free is that okay? And I would assume I can use DTM to free up memory?

Yeah, you've got 28MB free. Anything above 20MB is pretty good. I usually have only 12-15MB free, so I do a pull every couple of days.
    12-12-08 11:01 AM
    I just use the soft reset program. Works as good for me. Performing the physical act of a battery pull puts stress on the contacts. Not to mention, it's a pain in the arse to do it all the time.

12-12-08 11:01 AM
    That's 28 after a battery pull right? Keep an eye on it.
    12-12-08 11:02 AM
    How is a soft reset done? Is there an app I can get that I can program a soft reset every few weeks?

12-12-08 11:14 AM
    In the old days, the three fingered salute to Microsoft (CTRL+ALT+DEL) worked wonders. Not much has changed, when the computer gets strange, reboot it and carry on happy.

Reset the device

Remove and reinsert the battery.
    Pulling the battery is the most effective, but it is a lot simpler to do it from the keyboard.

On the Curve, ALT+RShift+DEL. It takes 3 fingers, left thumb, right thumb and right index work best.

Some advocate doing it twice, the second reset is equivalent to a battery pull.

How often should you do it? If you have adaquate free memory it will not be needed. I rarely pull the battery on my fully functional Pearl. My test bed Curve has seen plenty of battery pulls and a few OS roll backs.

Last edited by Reed McLay; 12-12-08 at 11:53 AM.
    12-12-08 11:34 AM
    yes, you really need to pull out the battery - only in situations when your BlackBerry is totally frozen, here is more information about the softreset: Reboot your BlackBerry without taking the Battery out! | BlackBerry Productivity
    12-12-08 01:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD