I have read in several places (here included) about the great battery life on the various BB's including my Curve 8310.

However i'm not seeing it. My 8310 is a week old today. When I took it out of the box I immediately charged it for 24 hours as per the instructions.

After that I set it up with my email and loaded my address book and tones. By the time I completed the above I was down to 1 bar on the battery but didn't think anything of it because I spent literally hours on it during set up and learning to operate the various features and applications.

This past Tuesday it started duty as my full time phone. Here is a typical day in the life of my BB. Starting with a full charge.

5am....out of bed, check email...back on standby.

7am...generally a couple of short calls on the commute to work. Less than 5 minutes total talk time. Back to standby.

11:30am...Lunch time. Check BB for mail and missed calls. Usually about 10 to 15 minutes use and then back to standby.

5pm...commute home...2 or 3 calls. Maybe 10 minutes use and yes you guessed it....back to standby.

5:45 to 11pm...typical family evening....dinner, a little TV, maybe a few calls here and there and off to bed.

At this point I have 1 bar of battery left. Now...I don't want it dying midway through the day so I stick it on the charger.

Does this "battery life" seem typical to you veteran users? Should my routine dictate a nightly charge? Thanks.

Bo
    12-22-08 09:53 PM
    Do you have any applications running or bluetooth on all day?
    12-22-08 09:54 PM
    I turned the brightness down to 80%. The probably doubled my battery life if not more...seriously.

Also as mentioned above make sure bluetooth is off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-08 09:58 PM
    Do you have any applications running or bluetooth on all day?
    Nope. I have checked and BT is off. The phone is box stock except for the ring tones.

The only app I use besides BT is TeleNav and it is off as well.
    12-22-08 09:59 PM
    I turned the brightness down to 80%. The probably doubled my battery life if not more...seriously.

Also as mentioned above make sure bluetooth is off.

Good idea...I will dial back the brightness right now. Thanks.
    12-22-08 10:00 PM
    I, Personally, charge mine everynight. When I'm done with it for the night, I plug it in the charger and leave it their until the next morning. The phone will automatically stop charging when its full. I also have a auto off/on set for the middle of the night to give it some 'off-time'.

12-22-08 10:16 PM
    I don't actually mind charging it every night. It just seemed that from everything I have read that you shouldn't have to. No biggie either way.
    12-23-08 09:23 AM
    I can check emails 6-8x/day, make a call or two, surf the 'net a bit, and it will still last me 3 days..

One thing, if you are in a low-signal area, the phone has to work harder to keep on network, which will drag your battery down pretty fast. Me, I'm almos always at 4-5 bars on signal strength, so that's why the battery keeps longer
    12-23-08 10:27 AM
    Signal strength is not an issue for me. Max signal pretty much all of the time.
    12-23-08 10:30 AM
    My screen brightness is set to 70, the time out is set to 40 seconds. I also have autostandby installed which is great, keeps or puts the phone into standby auto for me if I forget. You can get that in the CB app store.

I charge mine each night, why not get yourself a cradle or a charger for work, the cradle is awesome, I love it, you can just set it up there on your desk whennot in use.
    Also saves the USB jack on the side too.

This is what I have

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=oSO7-7-H
    12-23-08 10:33 AM
    I have a couple apps open (Gmail, Viigo, BB Browser) usually, and I'm on a couple calls during the day, web surfing 1.5 hours on my commute home, texting all day long, just using my BB and by 11PM, I'm at 50%. I love the usage I get out of my BB battery. I do charge it every night, but I don't think there's a need to charge it during the day unless like others stated, you're using BT or have low signal. I put my phone thru a lot more usage, and don't have the battery problems you're facing. I'd look into it further. Your carrier shouldn't have a problem switching out batteries for you. If you have a friend with a BB, switch batteries with them, so you can test out both batteries and devices at the same time to help troubleshoot.
    12-23-08 12:40 PM
    I implemented all of the suggestions. Guess what? After a full day yesterday of talking to incoming family, sending texts and email, downloading a few tunes, and surfing the net for 40 minutes at lunch I still have all but one bar!! Thanks!
    12-25-08 06:42 AM
    Looks like you've got it sorted out.

I read somewhere (?) the display backlight eats more battery than anything else.
    The article was a general (Lithium Ion Batt.) cellphone thing not bb specific.

These tips have already been mentioned:

1) Reduce brightness to the lowest level you can possibly read.

2) Time-Out set to the minimum your device allows.

3) Contrast adjusted to compensate for reduced brightness. (I think we're out of luck on this one.)

IIRC It was an article somewhere on:Battery University.com
    12-25-08 07:05 AM
    Just a follow up....

My battery life has gotten better and better as time goes on. I am truly amazed at this. Even with a ton more apps and increased usage.

Daily routine:
    A.M.
    Retrieve BB from bedside and throw on charger.
    Answer SMS/Email that came in overnight.
    Read news
    Plug into PC and update Slacker.
    Drive 40 minutes to work with BB plugged into care stereo
    listening to Slacker or my own tunage. (3.5mm).

Lunch
    Read ebook for 30 to 40 minutes while eating, respond to sms/email, return calls.

Afternoon
    Drive home another 40 minutes...music all the way.

Evening
    Throw on charger
    respond to SMS/email, make and take calls

Bedtime
    Off the charger
    Read ebook for awhile and pass out...BB on the night stand.

Total charge time for 24 hours....maybe 3 hours.

Battery meter never less than 50%.

I dont know about yall....but that's danged impressive to me....
    01-21-09 07:06 AM
    The only app I use besides BT is TeleNav and it is off as well.
    I could be mistaken, but if you use the escape key to leave an application, it is still running. I had a day or two where my battery was being drained extremely quickly.

Turns out Poynt was still running, and I presume attempting to update GPS coordinates in the background. As was Missing Sync. Since I started using 'Close' on the menu on all apps I don't need running anymore, I'm rarely below 80% battery by bed time (and free memory remains very high.)
    01-21-09 07:16 AM
    I am pretty much constantly texting browsing the web and listening to music plus when I'm in school signal strength is low and going from 7 am till midnight I usually still have at least 30% you probably have apps running in the background well hope that helped

01-21-09 07:51 AM
    I could be mistaken, but if you use the escape key to leave an application, it is still running. I had a day or two where my battery was being drained extremely quickly.

Turns out Poynt was still running, and I presume attempting to update GPS coordinates in the background. As was Missing Sync. Since I started using 'Close' on the menu on all apps I don't need running anymore, I'm rarely below 80% battery by bed time (and free memory remains very high.)
    Yeah, that was something I had to learn to do, because on my other phones, just hitting the Escape button(usually red phone button) close the app completely. BB just puts it in the background and continues forward.
    01-21-09 08:12 AM
    Thanks this was really helpful I can't wait to see how the changes help with my battery life

02-23-09 11:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD