yes, I have gone back and read through a few dozen threads about battery life on the Curve. There were only a few that seemed to have similar battery issues like I have though and none of them ever came back and said if they resolved their issue or where they stand.

Here's my background and problem with my 8310.

This is about my 5th or 6th BlackBerry, Is started with a 950 4+ yrs ago. That battery which was a single AA would last ~4 weeks depending on usage. I eventually worked up to my last device which was a 7100g and that battery charge would last me a minimum of a week.

I average 100+ emails/day with work. I talk on the phone less than 700 minutes/month and don't go online very often with it. I have a BT but don't have it connected unless I am in the car otherwise I just use talk into the phone itself.

Now, my Curve which I received 2 days ago has horrible battery life! It doesn't even last a day. I just took a phone call that lasted 30 minutes and my battery lost literally 50% of it's charge! That's unacceptable. I charged it last night and checked it this morning and saw that it dropped down to 95% life left after my 30 minute commute to work. During that 30 minutes I received about 10 emails but didn't respond to any. I received a few meeting reminders as well from my calendar. This is all normal stuff for me and something that my 7100g handled without any issue.

When I traveled with my 7100g I didn't have to worry about running out of battery in airports or during the day. I am worried with my Curve that I will be without it at the wrong times.

I changed my screen settings when I first got it to match my 7100g which means my screen shuts off after 30 seconds, it's brightness is 70, etc.

Short of getting a 1500 mAH battery what else can be done to get 2-3 days out of this? According to the stats I should be able to talk for 4 hours or have my Curve in standby for 400+ hours! By comparison my 7100g has the same 4 hour talk rating but I know I have used it longer than that on a single charge. Standby is rated less than half of the Curve though.

What has everyone done to try and extend their battery life? I received my proper BlackBerry leather holster yesterday so I have been using that since yesterday afternoon so the Curve goes into standby properly with the magnet. I exit out of apps to make sure they aren't using battery, is there another way to check if an app is running when you think it's closed?

Thanks and sorry for dredging up another "battery" issue thread.
    12-06-07 08:41 AM
    I'd recommend wiping and reinstalling your OS. Yours may not have been loaded with the latest version. Remove the battery and reseat it. Monitor your battery life over several days, trying to drain it fully and recharge it at least once or twice, if possible. If nothing seems to affect it, get it replaced under warranty while you still can.
    12-06-07 08:48 AM
    I'd recommend wiping and reinstalling your OS. Yours may not have been loaded with the latest version. Remove the battery and reseat it. Monitor your battery life over several days, trying to drain it fully and recharge it at least once or twice, if possible. If nothing seems to affect it, get it replaced under warranty while you still can.
    I checked the OS and it's 4.2.2.170 (2.5.0.30) which i believe is the latest, at least I can't find any that are newer.

I will let it run out today then charge it when I get home. The battery has been out any number of times.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    12-06-07 08:56 AM
    I had a similar problem with my curve from the moment I started using it. My battery would drop to 95% within a few minutes of turning the phone on. And by noon, I was down to 50% or so. I am not a heavy user by any means. It got so frustrating, I even had the battery replaced. However, this didn't seem to make any difference. I kept thinking that maybe some application was running, but couldn't find anything. I had installed MS Live Search on my BB immediately after I got it. I wondered if somehow the GPS feature was causing my battery drain. I went into the options on Live Search and disabled the GPS. This seems to have made all the difference in the world. I can easily get over 2 days out of a charge now. (I was charging daily before). If I need to use GPS, I turn it on briefly but I never let it stay on all the time. Not sure if it has anything to do with your issue, but it might be worth some investigating. Good luck.
    12-06-07 11:18 PM
    That sounds like a good place to start... how do I turn off the GPS though?

I let my battery drain down to around 15% last night. I had a few calls that I was on and in total I spent maybe 2 hours on the phone to get it to drop this far. The phone was on all day, received/sent my usual amount of emails... Didn't go online at all, no games, etc. Charged it with the wall charger over night unplugged it this morning and within 30 minutes it was down to 95%. lol
    12-07-07 08:52 AM
    I turned mine off through Live Search.
    12-07-07 10:12 AM
    upgrade to a seidio 1500mah battery or their extended 2600mah battery.
    12-07-07 10:18 AM
    Here's a novel idea....how about including a battery with the phone that actually works. The point is, that you shouldn't have to spend another $50 on an extended battery.
    Last edited by cbs2669; 12-07-07 at 02:46 PM.
    12-07-07 02:40 PM
    You should be able to get a good 2 - 2.5 days of moderate use out of the stock battery.
    12-07-07 03:36 PM
    It's already aware that the battery life is not so great, but people buy it still because it's a BB.. Cope with it or get another phone.
    12-07-07 05:48 PM
    It sounds like you are leaving some demanding apps running in the background. Press alt & esc, scroll through and kill the apps that are extra! I'm getting 3-5 days out of my battery with internet, gps, and phone use!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-07 06:44 PM
    Great logic silver...I suppose we could all just "cope" with the fact that products don't work as they are supposed to. If these phones were being handed out on street corners, that might be acceptable. Since some are saying they are getting 2 - 2.5 times the battery life I'm getting, I'd rather find out why instead of replacing the phone.
    12-08-07 12:12 AM
    I had a similar issue. I lived with it for a couple weeks then finally called T-Mo. who promptly sent me out a new battery. I've started running the batt to near dead before recharging and it has been lasting me (with moderate usage) 2-3 days.
    12-08-07 12:37 AM
    Here is where I stand currently:

I let my battery to run down to 15% and charged it over night. Yes, I know it only takes about 2 hours to charge give or take but I was sleeping and didn't feel like waking up to unplug it.

I unplugged it when I got up and during my 30 minute drive to work it received a handful of emails and when I checked the status once I got o my office it was down to 95%. I made several phone calls for a total of close to 2.5 hours, received close to 80 something emails and lots of meeting reminders. As of right now I am at 45% and the phone has been running off charge since 5:30am Friday it is now 3pm Saturday. That's almost 36 hours. Not great but I'll see how it works during 2 work days next week.

I pulled my battery to "start over" with what apps do and don't run before I open anything. Here is my list of running apps from the alt+esc list:

phone
    push to talk <-- How can I delete this off my phone?
    home screen
    browser
    BlackBerry messenger <-- How can I delete this off my phone?

The two items I point out above I not only don't use I don't need on my phone. What is the procedure to removing them? I don't use Text Messaging which is what I believe BlackBerry Messenger is for. Push to Talk I have absolutely no need for and even removed it from the phones buttons and have the icon hidden.

When I open certain apps then try closing them or Exiting them they don't alway close, at least a running app in the Alt+Esc screen to me means it is still running.

Telling someone to purchase a higher capacity battery so you can potentially receive the battery life that you should be getting out of the stock battery is just a stupid suggestion. Sorry, but I have to say it.
    12-08-07 02:18 PM
    I you get answer to this because I have the same problem. Its ridiculous that my phone can't go with out a charge in the middle of the day. I have to carry my charger with me everywhere just incase! I was even told before I bought the curve that the battery life was great!
    12-08-07 07:26 PM
    To delete those options you can go to settings> advanced options> applications, then scroll down to whatever it is you are wanting to delete, then hit the button with the dots on it (not sure the exact name for it, but its to the right of the talk button) and select delete.
    12-08-07 09:30 PM
    I have a slightly similar problem with mine which I've learned to deal with. After a full charge and then using the phone for around 10 minutes or so, my battery will drop one full bar. After that it will take about 2 days for it to fully run out using it on a regular basis.
    12-08-07 10:05 PM
    To delete those options you can go to settings> advanced options> applications, then scroll down to whatever it is you are wanting to delete, then hit the button with the dots on it (not sure the exact name for it, but its to the right of the talk button) and select delete.
    If the items were there to delete that would be easy to do.

I have nothing that I can find for Push to Talk so I don't know where to delete it from. It shouldn't continue to be shown in the alt+esc list since I have never activated it nor run it. It's there by default. Where can I delete this?

The BlackBerry Messenger program, what is this? Is this like an AIM type of thing or is it for Text Messages? What will stop working if I were to Delete this from my Applications list? This is in my Apps list so I'll delete it once I get confirmation as to what it is exactly and what is affects.
    12-08-07 10:40 PM
    I have had similar problems with my 8320. How ever I am a frequent user of text messages/email/internet/phone. Normally my curve lasts less than a day. Which is absolutely unacceptable! I have delted the blackberry messenger app and so far everything has run smoothly. It hasn't affected anything... I do not reccomend draining the battery due to the fact I drained it yesterday and the battery life seems shorter than it already was. Anyone if you have any suggestions on what I should do please feel free. Also if you exchanged your battery with tmobile if they had charged you any fees. (Curve is only 3days old)
    12-09-07 12:31 AM
    I have had similar problems with my 8320. How ever I am a frequent user of text messages/email/internet/phone. Normally my curve lasts less than a day. Which is absolutely unacceptable! I have delted the blackberry messenger app and so far everything has run smoothly. It hasn't affected anything... I do not reccomend draining the battery due to the fact I drained it yesterday and the battery life seems shorter than it already was. Anyone if you have any suggestions on what I should do please feel free. Also if you exchanged your battery with tmobile if they had charged you any fees. (Curve is only 3days old)

After I got my Curve and the battery started draining quickly I called TM. They told me to take it to a TM store and have them check it. The TM store told me it was normal for the BB's to drain quickly. They also told me that if I needed a replacement battery that I would have to send them my phone and they would give me a loaner. I was like, WTF? Needless to say I kept my phone and just deal with the battery issue.
    12-09-07 12:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD