Is it better to let the battery run down to the low battery indicator before recharging, or is it ok to go ahead and charge it when it is getting low like 25-30%. I had someone tell me that you don't want to charge you battery until the low battery indicator comes on, because it will cause your battery life to shorten.
    02-04-09 06:43 AM
    LitIon batteries have what's called a life cycle (the amount of time the battery can be charged before complete failure). It is a good idea to drain the battery down to about 10% every now-and-then but, do not completely drain it. The gel compound in the battery could dry up and crystalize an possibly damage the battery and/or BB. As fall as when to charge, it really doesn't matter. The battery in your BB is "smart" and will not overcharge.
    Last edited by BlackBerryBob; 02-04-09 at 06:53 AM.
    02-04-09 06:47 AM
    This is an area of great debate... For me I have always used the "full drain" method where I drain the battery down to appx. 5-10%, then switch batteries. When I get back to the house, I charge the drained battery..... I've never had a problem with battery life with this method, but it's up to you as to what method you use....
    02-04-09 07:16 AM
    I charge it over night then use it. When it hits 60 to 50% that's when I give her a charge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-09 07:17 AM
    I have always been told to not let the battery run down all the way, Berries prefer to be "Topped Off". Not only that, if the battery gets too low, the radio will shut off, there is lots that don't know how to turn it back on...
    02-04-09 07:46 AM
    I usually let my battery get down in the no no red-zone, but then i charge him right back up. I never over charge him though because it does make the phone die faster! Thats just me tho.
    02-04-09 07:50 AM
    I plug in my BB every night regardless of the amount of charge on it.
    02-04-09 08:29 AM
    1. "You DO NOT need to break in the Li-Ion BlackBerry battery. On BB Models 71xx, 81xx, 83xx, 88xx you will be using a Lithium-Ion battery. These do not require "conditioning" as you might have experienced with other cell phones and batteries.
      Note: Don't get in the habit of fully discharging the battery every time -- to prevent wearing it out -- lithium batteries can be damaged with excessive deep discharges like a car battery can be.... When breaking in the battery, make sure you keep it plugged in long after the battery says it is fully charged (i.e. overnight), you really want to trickle-charge your BlackBerry to top-off your battery.
    2. Lithium batteries LOVE to be topped-off. In regular use, plug it in whenever you have the opportunity. This will also help keep the battery life maxed out for those days you really need long battery life."
    Source: Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ

I like to top off my battery as is stated in #2. I know there has been great debate over the issue, however this is one of many places that I have found that says it is better to top off the battery than let it get really low.

Just my .02

02-04-09 11:55 AM
    1. "You DO NOT need to break in the Li-Ion BlackBerry battery. On BB Models 71xx, 81xx, 83xx, 88xx you will be using a Lithium-Ion battery. These do not require "conditioning" as you might have experienced with other cell phones and batteries.
      Note: Don't get in the habit of fully discharging the battery every time -- to prevent wearing it out -- lithium batteries can be damaged with excessive deep discharges like a car battery can be.... When breaking in the battery, make sure you keep it plugged in long after the battery says it is fully charged (i.e. overnight), you really want to trickle-charge your BlackBerry to top-off your battery.
    2. Lithium batteries LOVE to be topped-off. In regular use, plug it in whenever you have the opportunity. This will also help keep the battery life maxed out for those days you really need long battery life."

I like to top off my battery as is stated in #2. I know there has been great debate over the issue, however this is one of many places that I have found that says it is better to top off the battery than let it get really low.

Just my .02

THIS. I charge mine when it gets to about 50%, usually every other day or so.
    02-04-09 11:59 AM

Just my .02

Lithium Ion batteries are NOT like Nickel Cadmium in older cell phones. You cannot over charge a lithium ion battery and it doesn't matter how many times you charge it or how long you wait until you do so. Lithium ion batteries will decrease the max amount of charge they can hold over time regardless of how many times or how long you wait to charge them. The amount of charge they lose per year depends on the temperature in which they are typically stored. They generally lose around 10-15 percent of their charge each year, but it can vary. The problem is that years ago cell phone sales associates instilled the fear of God in people regarding nickel cadmium batteries in cell phones and people don't realize technology has changed.
    Last edited by jrd231psu; 02-04-09 at 12:52 PM.
    02-04-09 12:49 PM
    I found this link a while ago...

Everything (and more) that you need (or care) to know about batteries.

Long read, but solid information.

I have no affiliation or interest in this site.

Welcome to Battery University
    02-04-09 01:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD