New BlackBerry user, just got a Sprint 8330. Have the backlight configured to 20 seconds to dim. The dimming happens as it should, but then randomly it just stops dimming. The device ends up just staying fully lit up and it drains the battery rather quickly. Just never dims.

I downloaded the autolock program and have it configured to autolock the keyborad 1 second after dimming. This issue has happened both before and after I install the autolock program. So I don't believe it's tied to this addon program.

The issue survives a normal power cycle.The only way I've found to get it to dim normally again (and lock) is to pull the battery.

I've searched through the forums and didn't seem to find anything on this issue. I'm probably just not searching with the right keywords.

Anybody have any suggestion?

Thanks!
    -scott
    02-27-09 10:43 PM
    What happens after the battery pull?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-09 10:51 PM
    The device will return to normal behavior for a while (maybe a 1/2 day) then eventually the backlight will stop dimming again. I've had the device for 3 days now and it's done this 4 or so times now.

Thanks!
    -scott
    02-27-09 10:55 PM
    Looks like I'm running v4.3.0.127. Is there a newer version that would be better to be running?
    02-27-09 10:58 PM
    Yes there is a new update available for your device - see the stickies at the top of this forum.

You dont happen to have BBLight installed do you?
    02-27-09 11:08 PM
    Yes, the last time someone reported this type of problem they had BBLight installed and it was a setting in that app causing the problem.

02-27-09 11:14 PM

You dont happen to have BBLight installed do you?
    No, I don't.
    02-27-09 11:14 PM
    Was curious since the 1.93 version was pulled due to this exact problem. The creator goofed but caught it the next day I think and re-released 1.94 Just checkin'

I am not sure what it could be since you said it happened prior to installing the app to lock... Has this happened for the life of the phone or just very recently?
    02-27-09 11:19 PM

I am not sure what it could be since you said it happened prior to installing the app to lock... Has this happened for the life of the phone or just very recently?

Happens ramdomly, but yes for the life of the phone with me.

I'm reading up on OS upgrade procedures now. I'm a new BB convert, coming over from the MotoQ, finally left the MS darkside
    02-27-09 11:22 PM
    If it were me I would need to rule out a hardware issue (just me) but it sounds like you got it used, if that is the case a wipe of the phone and install of the newest OS might help? Read all the info and just follow along, its quite easy and IF you get stuck the CB members will always be around to help you. Sadly I am not able to offer any better help regarding the backlight issue other than what you have tried... Keep us posted.
    02-27-09 11:25 PM
    If it were me I would need to rule out a hardware issue (just me) but it sounds like you got it used, if that is the case a wipe of the phone and install of the newest OS might help? Read all the info and just follow along, its quite easy and IF you get stuck the CB members will always be around to help you. Sadly I am not able to offer any better help regarding the backlight issue other than what you have tried... Keep us posted.
    Actually, it's a brand new phone. I'll try the OS upgrade and see what happens. If it doesn't fix things, then I return it to the store and get another one.
    02-27-09 11:34 PM
    Actually, it's a brand new phone. I'll try the OS upgrade and see what happens. If it doesn't fix things, then I return it to the store and get another one.
    Excellent - sounds like a plan, if its software that you installed or a glitch wiping will resolve it I suppose, then the new OS load either way you should be sorted out. Hopefully you wont have to get a new phone but at least that is a good alternative........ Good luck let me know what happens
    02-27-09 11:37 PM
    OS upgrade is done. We'll see what happens...
    02-28-09 01:40 AM
    I had the same problem on my 8330. Found out it was because on a game app I had set it to backlight always on. I thought this would only apply to the game, but it doesn't. Even when I would check my "options>settings" it was on like 60 second. The game option overrides your actual phone setting.

03-12-09 12:37 PM
    OS upgrade is done. We'll see what happens...
    So did this work? I bought the Bold yesterday and have found that I have this problem. Not very happy about that.
    05-25-09 09:08 PM
    i have a tour, with the same issue. Upon browsing a couple other forums i have discovered that if you simply assure that you close all applications the backlight timeout will ensue. I haven't verified if any of the stock apps cause the failure, or if it's one of the third party apps. But at least i can give you a little bit of fixer info.
    03-31-10 02:53 AM
    The same problem happened with my 8530. I found out it was the application "Shazam" that keeping the blacklight on. As soon as I uninstalled it, the blacklight would shut off according to the settings chosen.
    09-09-10 02:43 PM
    I had the same problem with my Storm 2. The backlight didn't turn off itself, even when i locked the screen. It was so annoying and used a lot of battery. I downloaded different operating systems, and tried everything i can; but none worked. Later I found that it was an app that I downloaded (Wattpad). I changed the backlight settings from "ON" to "Auto." Everything is fine now
    12-29-10 01:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD