When attempting to back up, I get a communication error saying: The data was not recognized by the device. It happens when recieving browser data cache. I already tried clearing the browser cache on my phone, does anyone know how to fix this?
    09-29-08 07:37 PM
    Problem
    If you are using BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 or later, you receive the following error when you restore the data on a BlackBerry smartphone from a backup file:

Cannot backup or restore the following database: Address Book. The data was not recognized by the device.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cause
    Summary of Causes

This issue may be caused by one of the following:

The backup file was made from a BlackBerry smartphone with a version of BlackBerry Device Software earlier than 4.1.
    Your data in Microsoft� Outlook� may be incomplete.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resolution
    Cause 1

The backup file was made from a BlackBerry smartphone with a version of BlackBerry Device Software earlier than 4.1, allowing data not recognized by the BlackBerry smartphone to be synchronized to the BlackBerry smartphone.

Resolution

It is not possible to restore the Address Book database to a BlackBerry smartphone with BlackBerry Device Software 4.1 or later. This is by design.

Cause 2

Your data in Microsoft� Outlook� may be incomplete. For example, one or more contacts could be lacking information in First, Last, or Company name fields.

Resolution

To complete the Microsoft Outlook data, populate the blank First, Last, or Company name fields in the address book entries on the BlackBerry smartphone.
    09-29-08 07:46 PM
    I am using Version 4.3 I was able to backup several times before but now I can't.
    09-29-08 07:59 PM
    I know the article says 4.1, but I bet this applies
    09-29-08 08:09 PM
    Might be this as well:

Problem
    While backing up data on your BlackBerry device, you receive the following error:

Communication Error: The data was not recognized by the handheld

Cause
    Downloading and subsequently deleting items, such as ringtones or images, causes the items in the Content Store database to have a null value.

Resolution
    Resolution 1

Remove the Content Store database before backing up the data on your BlackBerry device.

In BlackBerry Desktop Manager, double-click Backup and Restore.
    Click Advanced. The Handheld Databases list appears.
    In the Handheld Databases list, hold down theCtrl key and select every application exceptContent Store.
    Click the arrow key to copy the applications over to theDesktop File Databases list. You may be prompted to enter your BlackBerry device password.
    Go to File > Save to save the back-up file.
    Resolution 2

Clear the Content Store database.

In Desktop Manager, double-click Backup and Restore.
    Click Advanced. The Handheld Databases list appears.
    In the Handheld Databases list, scroll to and select Content Store.
    Click Clear to clear the Content Store.
    09-29-08 08:12 PM
    I cleared the Browser Data Cache (this is the database it would show error for) by following your directions and it solved the problem. I am once again able to backup so thank you for the advice
    09-29-08 08:35 PM
    Here is another method. It worked for me and I did not have to lose any data:

Put a previously backed up version of the troubled item onto your device:

1. open the Blackberry Desktop Manager
    2. click Backup & Restore
    3. click Advanced
    4. click File, then Open
    5. select a previous backup
    6. on the left side, select the item you are having trouble backing up (Content Store, Profiles, etc)
    7. click the arrow pointing to the right

Then go back to the Backup & Restore screen an attempt your backup again.
    10-16-08 01:35 PM
    I also am getting a Communication Error when backing up my Curve, but unlike the person above, mine occurs while Receiving Profiles. I had backed up many times before with no problems, but this now seems to be a persistent problem. I have not changed or updated any software. The problem occurs with both my laptop and home computer. Any suggestions?

AramB
    10-16-08 02:03 PM
    My error message was "Error Backing Up Database(s)" and I found that the problem was in the Profiles component.

I have an AT&T Curve 8300 (v 4.5.0.52) and DM 4.6. I had the same problem in DM 4.5 and the upgrade didn't help.

Open up Desktop Manager, Connect your BB, Go to Backup and Restore, then Advanced.

After Desktop Manager "Updates Device Database List", Click on "Profiles" in right panel, then press Clear. You should be able to do a full backup now.

You will, however, have to reset your ringtones/vibrate profiles but you won't lose any data. I found this out by systematically backing up each database one at a time and the only thing that caused my "Error Backing Up Database(s)" message, which kicked me out of backup mode, was the Profiles component.

By the way, someone mentioned Wall Street Journal Mobile Reader. I have that installed as well, but it doesn't seem to be an issue. Neither does the Content Store database that a previous post suggested you clear.

Mathew Price
    Last edited by mprice; 11-02-08 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Wanted to add to my post.
    11-02-08 02:59 PM
    Matthew:

I tried what you suggested and during the backup I still got an error when it got to Profiles. The error said, "Data not recognized by device."

AramB
    11-09-08 09:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD