I am diging my GPS use for teh road but was currious if anyone is able to use there gps like they do other outdoor gps systems.

Thanks for the discussion.
    06-09-08 11:27 AM
    A few differences to consider:
    • Batteries: using your blackberry like a GPS, keeping the screen on all the time, and continuously downloading maps, runs the battery down. And you can't just slap in 4 fresh AA's.
    • Weather resistance: Blackberries are not tolerant of water and are not designed to outdoor gear water resistance specs. Water intrusion voids your warranty.
    • Display: on the brightest settings, it's difficult to read in direct sunlight.
    • Signal: if you hike out of reach of cell phone coverage, your GPS will still work and give you lat/lon info, but you won't have maps. There are only a couple of GPS apps that let you store maps on microSD cards.
    06-09-08 02:29 PM
    all good points!! Thanks
    06-09-08 02:36 PM
    This happened to me two weeks ago. I had Sprint's GPS service working great on the main road, but as soon as I left the road the GPS stopped working.

For the record, I had no cell coverage, but was able to use the GPS somehow. I know it shouldn't have worked, but I was able to use GPS and not make calls for about a period of a half hour.

Good luck!
    06-09-08 03:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD