Hi All

New to this forum, hello.

I have an 8310, bought it last year over the phone from O2. Since then, it's packed up twice with the white screen of defeat. Can't remember the last error code. this time it's App error 200.

Having owned a mobile phone since '96, I've never had one just go 'cheerio' on me for no reason - let alone twice. Sure the BB is a techy bit of kit, but in my brief experience it can't do the jobs it was meant to do.

Anyone else seriously hacked off with an unreliable BB? I'll be calling BBUK on Monday to tell them what's happening with my handset.

For now, wish I got a bloody iPhone.
    01-16-10 07:00 AM
    I've been through the whole 83xx series, never had a problem that I didn't cause.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-10 08:23 AM
    01-16-10 09:11 AM
    I used my 8310 for a year without any major problems.
    01-16-10 11:53 AM
    83XX series are tanks.

01-16-10 11:58 AM
    I agree, the 83xx series were the backbone of RIM for a couple of years. ive had several and never had a single isse. Could be you just got one that wasnt up to par.
    01-16-10 12:10 PM
    dodger_moore,

Does a hard reset resolve the issue? (Pulling the battery out and placing the battery back after a few minutes to reboot)

Have you tried performing a full "wipe" of the smartphone, by clicking on "Options" -> clicking on "Security Options" -> clicking on "General Settings" -> pressing the Menu Key and selecting "Wipe Handheld"

(Please note that a wipe will delete all your data.)
    01-16-10 01:53 PM
    Thanks for the help there David and Office2Mobile

David - I tried the method in the link you posted, but couldn't open the App thingy as it was a .dll file or something like that. Spent a bit of time on it but to no avail. Thanks for the link all the same.

Office2Mobile - Yep tried the hard reset many times, no success.

Unable to access the menu at all on the smartphone, can't get past the white screen of death, thus am unable to access the options and so on.

I can't get the desktop manager to connect to the phone either to get in and wipe it that way. I've had no choice but to book it in for a repair once again.

I'm wondering if the last two apps I donwloaded may be causing the problem - GPSed and Opera, but as far as I can tell these are very popular apps for the Blackberry.

In addition to this, I've added Facebook and Google quick search, as downloaded from the Blackberry App store.

What makes this so frustrating is that the phone was great when it worked, and you very soon become dependent on it. I'm feeling very disappointed that this reputably solid phone is proving to be so temperamental.

If anyone else has any ideas, I'm keen to try it before sending the phone off for a repair and ten - fourteen day absence...
    01-16-10 08:13 PM
    the only flaw with 8310 that is has no wifi!
    01-16-10 09:45 PM
    not from where i'm standing...
    01-16-10 09:56 PM
    83xx is very stable, no problem at all ...
    01-16-10 10:55 PM
    With my data package I really didn't miss wifi. My 8310 performed flawlessly for the last year before I got my Bold.
    01-17-10 03:39 AM
    Both 8300 and my 8310 were solid devices. I still use an 8300 for work.

01-17-10 03:44 AM
    I have had my 8310 for 11 months now and have had no problems with it, been very reliable. You probably got a bad phone from the start. Sorry to hear about your troubles, hope you get it fixed
    01-17-10 08:59 AM
    I've been through the whole 83xx series, never had a problem that I didn't cause.

I second that.. my 8310 always works unless I started messing with it. It received severe beating but it acts like a tank
    01-17-10 10:34 AM
    Some good news: Thanks to one of the mods on here who posted an MS DOS based system restore for the phone, I managed to restore it yesterday.

It's interesting that people are saying theirs works great unless they are messing with it...what were you doing when you were messing with it?

I'm sure there are lots of things you can do with these phones, but aside from installing the apps I mentioned from the BB App Store, I haven't done anything untoward.

Right now it's on a final warning (seems to be doing OK so far of course)
    01-18-10 07:16 PM
    app error might be related to how the app you're trying to use conflicts with the application permissions set by you/your blackberry... i know google maps and gmail give errors when first installed until I change the permissions to allow all, which you can change in settings.. just a thought.
    01-18-10 11:39 PM
    My 8310 has worked great. A few tips though to keep it running good.
    1. load a good OS on your 8310, not all OS's are smooth (I'm running v4.5.0.181 at the moment which seems ok, from memory v4.5.0.124 and v4.5.0.174, were good ones too), read the forums on how to load an OS
    2. close/exit applications properly by going to the menu and selecting the close/exit button, some applications will otherwise keep running in the background and slow down your experience.
    3. Turning your handset off and on once a day is healthy (I use auto on/off)
    4. reboot= Alt + Right Shift Key + Del

hope this helps.

and yes 8310's are tanks
    01-19-10 05:15 AM
    Well I thought I'd post an update on my experience with the 8310 since I started this thread -

The phone hasn't put a foot wrong yet, and I've installed a 16gb Micro SD card. Now I have ALL my music on the phone, and a stack of full length feature films. I never imagined I'd be watching films on this little screen, but it's pretty enjoyable and since I do a lot of travelling on cheap airlines, it makes travel a lot more fun.

I was in Africa recently with a group of people with various smartphones. I was interested to see that my lowly 8310 was the only one that received email and was able to access the internet over the entire week. Not one person in the group received their email.

I was also able to create a map of the island we were on using the GPS and upload that to the internet...very handy since the roads out there were all dusty tracks and decent map does not exist.

The 8310 has also accompanied me on several long hikes this winter - being able to take a photo on a snowy summit and upload it there and then to Facebook would have been in the realms of fantasy (to me!) three years ago.

So in conclusion, maybe in my inexperience early on I was mis-using the phone by skipping in and out of apps and so on. Since the last re-install it's been as reliable as the people in this thread have said these magic little phones are. I'm using the device more than the PC for emails now, and since I've upgraded my Docs To Go app, I'm able to create word docs. and spreadsheets that I need for work wherever I am. I genuinely feel more organised and a whole world ahead in terms of connectivity than I was pre the 8310.

Cheers and gone

Dodge.
    02-22-10 10:34 AM
    Yeah no wifi kind of sucks.

Beside that no major problem with 8310
    02-25-10 03:15 PM
    My first 8310 was crap finally found out the software was bad (new from factory) att relaced it with another new one. Love it!! NO problems, sounds like you got a bad one. I'm still using it and don't plan on upgrading anytime soon!
    09-17-10 03:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD