Hey, I am a new blackberry user and i abso-freaking-lutely love them. I just switched from an iphone and i am amazed at the wonderfulness that is blackberry. Last night i upgraded to 4.5 and it worked just like your forums said it would, and i even got to keep all my apps. It works fine but i noticed that when i look at my berry after a few min of being idle it takes up to 10 seconds before it responds to anything i do. is anyone else experiencing this, and if so, what can i do to stop it. i got a blackberry for its amazing readiness and this "stickiness" isnt helping. Please help out a newb.
    11-30-08 11:42 AM
    Check your free memory: Options / Status / File Free. What numbers do you see?
    11-30-08 11:48 AM
    You might have an application running in the backround, always close out an application properly by hitting menu>close. If you do not have a media card and have pics on your device, this will take up alot of memory. The device memory and media card are 2 different things. Store pics, videos, ringtones on the media card, not the BlackBerry device. As for now, try a battery pull to quit the sticking you are complaining about. This is only a temporary fix, you need to read up on memory and your device. Remove your battery while the device is ON, wait a minute and re-insert...
    11-30-08 11:50 AM
    Check your free memory: Options / Status / File Free. What numbers do you see?
    i see 5709719 bytes in file free, is that good or bad? i always close out my apps, even though some tell me its not important.
    11-30-08 11:52 AM
    What you are describing is typical of the problems caused by low available memory. Any time "File Free" drops below 12 000 000 bytes, the phone will start deleting call logs and text messages without warning to free up memory. Text messages may be deleted as soon as they arrive, before you have had time to read them.

A battery pull recovers memory and will alleviate the problem temporarily. The solution is to remove the stuff you don't need (the sample video, wallpaper, themes, other languages, brickbreaker, etc.) from the device's memory. The following procedure, originally written by Forums Moderator Reed McLay will guide you:

How to Increase BlackBerry's File free memory

Also, if you have a Media Card, be sure to put pictures, videos, music, and ringtones on it, not in your device's memory. Keep in mind that Media Card memory is not device memory. You have to keep your device memory above 12 000 000 bytes, regardless of the capacity of your Media Card or how much free space it has. Finally, you can't at this time run programs from a Media Card. Programs have to be installed in and executed in device memory.
    11-30-08 11:56 AM
    ill def try all that, thanks guys. i just dont get how the update just made it change right away. it wasnt that big of a file, maybe i did something wrong? i followed the instructions on the forums.....
    11-30-08 12:08 PM
    Do you have the Facebook app by any chance? This has been causing numerous issues for people lately...
    11-30-08 12:10 PM
    no facebook app. but what is blackberry mds? do i need it?
    11-30-08 12:13 PM
    Basically you have a 5 at the beginning of your memory meter (the next 6 digits NA) where you should never have less than a 12 there and 20+ is ideal. Follow all the advice that has been given so far AND get yourself a memory card if you don't have one. (The Curve comes with a 1 Gig. I love my 4 Gig one thought and they are very cheap online.)

Pleas post back on this forum with your performance and memory results once you have followed all the advice previously stated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-08 12:14 PM
    Basically you have a 5 at the beginning of your memory meter (the next 6 digits NA) where you should never have less than a 12 there and 20+ is ideal. Follow all the advice that has been given so far AND get yourself a memory card if you don't have one. (The Curve comes with a 1 Gig. I love my 4 Gig one thought and they are very cheap online.)

Pleas post back on this forum with your performance and memory results once you have followed all the advice previously stated.

thank you all very very much for all your help. it looks like all the advice i was given worked really really well. i deleted a bunch of apps i didnt need as well as cleared out all the cache and cookies on by berry. my free space is now over 21 and its running just fine. thanks again for all the help.

Live long and Blackberry!!
    11-30-08 12:56 PM
    oh an by the way, my curve that i got from at&t didnt come with a memory card. did i get ripped or is at&t just cheap?
    11-30-08 12:59 PM

11-30-08 01:12 PM
    No, many don't, but you need one. You can get a 4gb real cheap. 15 bucks at Circuit City for instant gratification, lol, probablt cheaper online.

11-30-08 01:16 PM
    No, many don't, but you need one. You can get a 4gb real cheap. 15 bucks at Circuit City for instant gratification, lol, probablt cheaper online.

oh dont sweat it, i got a deal on two acctually but it just sucks that some people at least got one for free while i had to pay for one, but look at it this way, i payed exactly $0.01 for the phone with an upgrade and its unlocked so ill be able to sell it later, maybe when the bold drops in price, or the javlin comes out......
    11-30-08 01:21 PM
    I forgot a couple things that'll help. Once you upgrade to 4.5, you should make monitoring your file free memory a regularly scheduled thing. I check mine every two or three days and do a reset and clear logs and cache when it begins to drop. Keep in mind it will vary throughout the day so don't get too worried if you see it at 14 then at 18 later.

After you get a memory card, remember the only things you can store on it are media files and documents from Documents to Go if you installed that during your upgrade. When you put you card in, plug your device in and say yes to enable Mass Storage Mode. Then open My Computer and identify your berry's drive. Open it and drag and drop your media files from device memory to your card.

This is also the best way to move music and other media from your PC to your berry. If you want, you can go to Options-media card and select yes to auto enable mass storage mode when connected. The best way to see where your media files are when not plugged it to your PC is to open your media folder, press your menu key and select explore. This will open up a screen that gives you the option to look at files on your media card or in device memory.

Good luck!

11-30-08 01:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD