I've had my Boost Mobile Blackberry Curve 8330 for about a year now, and i've only ever dropped it once or twice in that time. It's been inside a nice, thick BodyGlove case ever since it came out of the box (the Radio Shack employee snapped the case on to show me what it looked like, and then, all of a sudden, wasn't able to get it back off ... i figured, what the heck, i need a case anyway lol) ...

So, I dropped it (it fell pretty hard, too, i think) the other night and it's been a painfully sad time ever since. For the rest of that same night, and into most of the next day, the phone wouldn't turn on. The LED would stay a steady red for a minute or so, then blink twice, turn off for a second or two, then would come back on and repeat. But, the screen never lit up, no sounds, nothing... I charged it for about half an hour with my wall charger, but nothing changed. I tried a battery pull (which, for me, is: pull the battery, wait 5-10 minutes, reinsert battery), also with no luck.

I plugged it into my computer (via the mini USB port) and it would connect, drop, connect, drop, etc etc... until it finally stopped connecting at all. At one point, before it totally stopped working, the red LED actually lit up Blue for a minute or two... I unplugged it, did a battery pull, tried plugging it back in without the battery, and it did the connect/disconnect dance a few times, but never really connected to my computer.

So, I'm thinking the mini USB/charging port came unsoldered when I dropped it. I looked around San Diego for a PowerMat that would fit my phone, or a power station/charging station/dock, basically, anything that would allow me to charge the phone/battery without using the USB port, but I had no luck there, either. (sure, the docks and PowerMats were available online, but none of the stores had these things physically "in-store")

Still working on the theory that the charging/usb port is somehow damaged, I've tried charging the battery and/or powering the phone using almost every single method found via a "blackberry curve won't turn on" Google search. Nothing rattles or looks damaged or disconnected when I take it apart. I've stripped an older USB cable and taped the power current wires onto the phone, onto the battery, onto the underside connectors... everything.... i've uninstalled/reinstalled Desktop Manager, etc, the USB drivers, I've tried wiggling the USB port around a bit, and so on and so on...

And, without dragging this on and on, it still doesn't power up... no LED light, red, blue, blinking or otherwise... my computer(s) don't even recognize that _anything_ has been connected when i try plugging it in via USB...

I welcome ANY help, but I'm afraid this really may be a dead Blackberry.

thanks guys!

PS: for those curious, while the BodyGlove case looks pretty sturdy, it completely exploded when I dropped my phone lol ... so, take that as you will
    06-08-11 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD